Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Being left-right challenged.

 

Who can tell me what's wrong with this photo, from a FB conversation about "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" and the use of screwdrivers?

I slept in Monday morning, 'til after 7 a.m. again.  I think I'm getting over the weekend.  Monday I did pet laundry... you know the kind:  the table cloth the cat coughed up on, the towel that lined the carrier for the last vet trip, the throws that I put on the couches to protect the upholstery...  You can only imagine how much pet hair and dryer lint combine in the trap!

I also headed over to the grocery for LeanJean6's favorites:  bananas, as well as other stuff.  The weather is giving us a break, and it was quite pleasant outdoors this morning.  The TV weather man is promising more of the same Tuesday.

Also on Monday I wished my former daughter in law a happy birthday, via instant messages.  She shared with me that after her trip to Australia (it was some time after I'd given her mom taxi service to the hospital for her procedure last Spring)... she came down with Covid-19.  She said she had a rough couple of weeks, but is better now.  Thankfully!

In any case, that made me glad that I had ordered my next set of at-home Covid tests.  I was hoping they'd arrive on a cooler day, and at least this shipment did.  Half of it came on Monday, the second part on Tuesday.

Two different brands this time, neither of which I had used before.  I opened them to see if the bits and pieces were different, too.  They are, so of course the next step is read the directions, to see how they differ.  

This one takes 20 minutes to give results, as opposed to the 15 minutes the ones I've had before did.  

This set has an expiration date of next May.  I only test when I have something people-y coming up.  


The second brand is a 15 minute results window and has an expiration date of December 14th this year.  Guess they will be next up in the collection for use, after the one remaining test on hand.  

This "ClearDetect" test has yet a fourth configuration of testing equipment / instructions.


All of them are rapid antigen tests, all with nasal swabs, just the method of mixing with the testing fluid and reading the results slightly differ.  In any case, I am now equipped to continue being "careful" whatever turns the virus takes heading into the cooler seasons.

Tuesday also brought the first of two days "checking in" on my elder sisters kitties, while she's off in Kansas to help out with the start of the school year for her two grandsons there.  They greeted me, quite vocally, when I arrived to give them their breakfast this morning.

I came home and changed before my noonish workout with the trainer.  In the afternoon sun, the lawn mowing kid came and provided the last mow before he heads off to college tomorrow.  Now I have to figure out whether to ask his dad to carry on, acquire a mower and such and do it myself, or hire a lawn service company.  All three options have different advantages and disadvantages, obviously, and while I knew this decision date was coming, I still haven't made up my mind.  Guess I'll sleep on it.  Better decisions usually come in the morning, for me.

Meanwhile... here's hoping my former-Spark buds are still out there, still working at healthy habits for us all.  In the heat we think first of hydration, but of course all of the self-care things we do count.  Remember to breathe.

On tap for Wednesday:  the permanent crown install, and another visit with sister's kitties, for me.  

Life is good.  Spark on!🔥✨💖

20 comments:

  1. Even though we have a mower I do like having a service do it. It takes them twenty minutes to do the front and back. When I do it it takes me two days before I do the front one day and the back the next. Yes, it cost money, but it's worth saving on the time it takes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still thinking on it. I had the same problem back when I mowed myself... took me multiple days.

      Delete
  2. Still hanging in this sparker. Me, I get tested every single time I visit Mom so I haven't used the at home ones, figure two to three times a week is good enough - LOL. Kinda waiting for them to call me back and say I have to go home instead of visit. So far so good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way that regular testing when you visit your mom is ideal. I agree that 2-3 times a week is good enough. I don't test that often, but then I'm not visiting folks in a home, either.

      Delete
  3. So happy that your former DIL is better after getting Covid. It’s rough!

    Barb, did you cut your hand there?

    Well, we have antigen-Covid tests, too. Comes in handy. Knock on wood, not had a problem. With that I need to be quiet!

    Here’s to a wonderful Wednesday.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a shadow on a wrinkle. Nope, I was just demonstrating that you could mess up the identification of the left hand as displaying an "L" when you put out your thumb and index finger... a visual joke for fellow left-right challenged folk.

      A wonderful Wednesday to you, too!

      Delete
  4. My family has joined the 'positive test' crowd. DD1 simply sent me a picture of the test strip yesterday.
    They attended an adults only party Saturday to Sunday morning to enjoy a game of kickball (DD1 got a black eye) and some partying overnight. Their host came up positive Monday. Of course, we were at her house all Sunday!
    So far, so good with DH and me. I picked up her meds today and helped the boys make lunch, with two masks on my face!
    I have kept my mowing service since I retired. As much as I enjoy the exercise that comes with it, I find my tolerance on these hot weather days would keep me from doing the needed outside work. Fortunately, I can afford the luxury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that "thankfully, I can afford X" feeling. While I may be feeling poor, having just spent on a fence and an A/C unit... I did not have to decide on that versus not eating, for example. Still mulling over my options on the grass. I know I don't want to do it myself, but I usually think if I don't want to do it, I don't want to impose on others to do it, either... ever get that kind of feeling? Thus leaning towards hiring a service.

      Delete
    2. An note on that. I have stepped up on trimming and spot weeding since I changed services. Same price and they include some things my other guy charged extra to do. (Don't ask the price, I'm in the metro NYC, Philly range)There's been a bit of adjustment as they don't do a lot of chemical weeding and I notice green stuff in odd places now, but breathing a less chemically treated air.
      Our drought has been so bad that I asked them to skip 3 weeks of mowing. The price doesn't change though since it's contracted for the year. I asked, and received, for an exchange of heavier lawn work; digging my new flower bed and re-locating some plants. Win-win!

      Delete
  5. I still have lingering symptoms, so I’m not in a hurry to retest before the recommended 10 days of isolation. Just when I think I’m all slept out, I’m back to either sleeping in or napping 😔
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take it easy on yourself, if you need the extra rest, you need the extra rest.

      Delete
  6. To me, it is well worth the cost to have a lawn service….of course, living in FL, it is a year-round chore. We bought a mower and did it ourselves for a bit BUT then came to our senses LOL!! I agree, my best decisions are made in the morning…I suppose it has something to do with rest and a fresh mind? Carry on…happy Thursday! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the direction I'm leaning, but ugh! finding a service that will be right for me!

      Delete
  7. Hi Barb, We have the self tests too, but must have a REAL test for our next cruise Sept 7th. Windstar is one cruise line that is still insisting on negative results to board.
    Until then we are hermits once more. Trying to limit exposure.

    Glad to catch up with you and figure out how to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kind of bumps up Windstar in my thoughts... after reading what Valerie went through with the cruises on the Queen Mary and QE 2 a few months back...

      Hope your efforts at limiting exposure pay off and you have a great cruise!

      Delete
  8. If you have not found it yet, the word you were looking for in html was markup.
    Hope you're having a pleasant summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I forgot I was looking for it! hyper text markup language...

      Delete
  9. I really didn't mind mowing until I had a balky mower. If a person gets only a year or two out of a $300 dollar mower (which is cheap no-frills these days) it seems a no brainer to get someone else to do it. You don't have to worry about upkeep or getting gasoline (the price of the fancy new "safety" jugs is atrocious). A person doesn't realize what it costs them to do it themselves.

    Of course, I don't water (except for trees/bushes and any veggies I may try to grow) so I usually only have to do my yard 3 times a year, so it isn't a horrible cost to have someone else do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a perfect system, if it only requires mowing 3 times a year... unfortunately, mine gets overgrown with long grasses in the back yard waaaay too fast.

      Delete
  10. Life is good! ❤️ Love, Ace

    ReplyDelete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...