Sunday, August 7, 2022

Hiding from the world week

I think this Summer has worn me out.  The past two years I've had Covid precautions to blame, but let's be serious, this happens whenever I get myself "overscheduled".  The overscheduled, as opposed to "overpeopled" was something my brother tipped me off to.  I just need that alone assimilation time.

After last week's doctor appointment followed by the "emergency" dental thing... which is on the heels of what seems like it's been a busy Summer.  Between the fence, the dog, the A/C breaking and having to be replaced... no wonder I'm wiped out.

Good morning, Prisoner

I seem to want to sink into the online streaming of Big Brother, and binge-watching episodes of "Under The Dome".  Horror (Stephen King) is not my usual genre, but science fiction does tend to be, so this is a bit of a cross-over.  The TV series got darker with each passing season.  I'm into Season 3 now, and stalled.

I conserved my energy through this week, because I knew I had this social event coming up with my friend Geri and the financial firm I deal with.  They host "A night at the ballpark" every year, with one of the minor league teams (farm club for KC Royals).  

I drove us, picking Geri up at her place and tackling the interstate highway for 39 miles up the road to the ball park.  The company provides bus service if you want it, but back when I booked this evening, I didn't want to second guess the infamous virus waves.

At the time we started our journey, the phone said it was 101℉!  Despite driving in an air conditioned car, my t-shirt had sweat spots by the time we got to the ball park.  Sprayed on sun block, and proceeded to the picnic supper provided.  I was careful because of the temporary crown... so skipped the fresh made potato chips.  Geri had them and pronounced them as good as I had promised.

We took a walking lap around the ball park before settling down in our seats which were great, along the first base line, 3rd row.  But it was still 100 when the first pitch was thrown at 7:05 p.m.

Good game, but the home team lost... 😟😒  Still it fostered good memories of ball games  from earlier decades in our lives.  By the 7th inning stretch it had "cooled down" to 90℉ and there was a light breeze, and between sweat evaporation and good hydration, we were feeling comfortable.  Hot summer nights were made for baseball, back when very few had central air in their homes.

Pretty sunset clouds...
can you spot the spectator on his perch?

Under the lights...
note we were spread out in the open air.

And of course proof of presence!

The drive home was reminiscent of my childhood when we were driving home from my dad's mother's place in Omaha... with the moon shining down in the Summer sky.  I dropped Geri off, safe home, showered to take the sunscreen and sweat off, then slept in Sunday morning, didn't get up 'til after 7 a.m.

Back to hiding from the world today... conserving energy for the week ahead, getting laundry done.  The permanent crown is to be put in on Wednesday.  I have a couple of "kitty watch" days for my sister, and a couple of workouts with the trainer.

Anybody else in the midst of heat waves... hydration makes it better, even if you choose to go out and about.  Treat yourselves gently, and appreciate each day as it comes.  It's OK to not do it ALL!

Life is good.  Spark on!

πŸ”₯✨πŸ’–

18 comments:

  1. We're having a cool down today, it's in the 70's and a breeze.

    How fun the game was for you. I do love me some baseball.

    I do love Stephen King, but I never watched that one. I might have to binge that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that cool-down sounds wonderful... hope it flows down the I-80 ramp to us! The game was fun, for sure. I used to do the score cards for my son's games when he play youth baseball... I had to learn how, and by now have forgotten, but you know it becomes habit, to understand the plays.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been hiding from the world this week for a different reason: I tested positive for COVID Wednesday afternoonπŸ˜” I’ve been isolating (they seem to have stopped calling it quarantine) with bf in the same tiny apartment. I’ve been masked the entire time. Not much of an appetite, not much energy and sleeping like it’s an Olympic event! He’ll test before going back to work tomorrow πŸ€žπŸΌπŸ™πŸΌI hope I’ve done enough to keep him healthy.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you poor thing! Quarantine is what they call it before they determine if you are infected (like if you were exposed or traveled). Isolation is when you've tested positive. It's very confusing! I sure hope you feel better soon and that your bf stays healthy. πŸ§‘πŸ™

      Delete
  3. Another extreme heat warning was issued for us again today. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow after a front moves through. It could take up residence for a while before moving on. Enjoy the hiding this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Heat can sap a person, so here's hoping that front gives you some relief. We had a short shower mid-morning, but it did not cool things down at all, and evaporated off within minutes!

      Delete
  4. Life IS Good! It's a joy to find your blog here. Get cool. Get rested. Keep writing and sharing the moments of your life! -Marsha (Slenderella61)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here! Thanks for popping up in the comments!

      Delete
  5. Yup, hot, hazy and humid and just not worth going out for too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, all those things sap the energy, Barb. I don’t blame you for hiding away! And I know the heat has sapped my life’s energy too. Fortunately, cooling off this week, so time to recuperate, rejuvenate!

    Glad you enjoyed the baseball game. Yes, baseball and warm summer nights do meld together nicely.

    Good you’ll get your permanent crown Wednesday. Then you’ll reach the status of Queen (vs. princess w/the temporary crown!) I always felt like having a temporary in my mouth was like dealing with a garbage can cover . . . just not comfortable!

    We attended a BBQ on Saturday and it was 95F with a much higher heat index. At least there was a glimmer of a breeze!

    Hope your weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classic social lifting burn-out... today I got a second wind and did the pet laundry, towels, and fresh sheets on the bed. My next order of at-home Covid tests arrived, on a cool day, so I'm glad of that. They have an expiration date next May, so they will be good over the winter holidays when I'll most likely be wanting them.

      Onward... keep Sparking!

      Delete
  7. August is always hot where I live, and generally more humid than other months ... we call it our 'monsoon' season.

    I take care to have plenty of non-peoplely time; I run better that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August is classically hot here, too, so I'm really thankful for a "cooler" Monday with a high only in the 80's F. Good for you, scheduling that non-peoplely time! If we don't take care of our own needs, nobody else will.

      Delete
  8. Ah, summer night drives in moonlight. Crickets chirping and the smell of new cut hay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH-CHOO to the hay... but honestly I love a LOT of smells that make me sneeze.

      Delete
  9. I was a huge Stephen King fan (still am, of course - but I've read almost everything & recent works seem a little repetitious) - his tour de force was his Dark Tower series, but they have yet to create a decent movie from that...
    I may actually box up all my SK books & donate them to Z to help fill his new bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm astonished at myself how little I read any more... I used to be walk and read (until I started tripping and falling in 2016) and then since I wasn't a block away from the library... and I was getting frustrated with the e-reader, preferring paper books... and... and ... and... excuses, right? Time to be turning off the tube and enjoying the books again!

      Delete

Going with the flow

  In the corner of the yard, during Ember's "last call" backyard time on Thursday, The Prisoner crouches on the corner of the ...