Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Still a hermit, still spending to boost the economy...

 and still watching too much Big Brother.  It's been an eventful season.  One of the favorite players is a beauty queen who seems to always be in the presence of a Lay's potato chip bag, and sure enough, the local grocer had them on sale last week... they jumped in the cart.  They were good, but I don't think I need to do that again for a while.

After a weekend of hiding from the world and playing with the "apps" that purport to find you people to handle your home projects, I ended up contacting the folks that took care of my yard 20 years ago.  They remembered me, quoted their current prices for the same services (gulp!) and I hired them.

My yard looked better when they were mowing, fertilizing, and doing the grub control.  We'll see if I've let it go "too long" before hiring them back.  Meantime, I've supported a couple of young men on their way to college and military service.  And I'm grateful for the 7 years they took care of my yard... it saved me hopefully enough to handle hiring the pros again for a while.

I hauled the recyclables off to the center on the first day of public school classes.  The weather was cloudy and cooler... almost as though it were acknowledging that change of season.  That was a week and a half ago, and the heat is back by now.


Ancestry tells me I'm risk-averse, due to my DNA!  No wonder I'm a weather wimp and drive like a little old lady?  Every so often they send an update as their research finds different associations.  Gives me a bit of a chill as to how these "DNA tendencies" might be used to type-cast one for careers?  


A week ago Wednesday was my every 10 months rotation to the periodontist.  I found myself in a tiny waiting room for 15 minutes with mine the only mask.  The staff (hygienists and dentist) were all masked, but none of the waiting patients and their "support people".  In any case, I survived, and came out with clean, polished teeth.

That same day, it was nice to walk with a sister after a two week hiatus again.  We came back sweaty, even though the thermometer indicated ten degrees cooler than last week.  And we did not go fast, we just got a tiny break from the worst of the Summer heat.  Today, with the thermometer in the back yard saying it's 95℉, we staying inside to visit.

Last Friday morning I avoided more spending.  Pure luck.  I had my eye appointment.  He told me my prescription has not changed enough for new glasses to help.  See?  Saved several hundred bucks right there.  The news is that the cataracts have grown / gotten worse and the one in my right eye might actually be "ripe" enough for surgery.  I'm giving it another six months, though, and then we'll talk about evaluating surgery readiness next February.  I'm thinking give it those six months to see if they will be ready for both eyes to be "done" then.  If not, I'm probably fine with having the right eye addressed then.

On the good news front, my youngest sister has a new grandson, as of Saturday the 20th!  That is so awesome, I know this child has long been wanted.  He has two "big sisters", from his dad's first marriage, but this is my niece's firstborn child, and the first grandson in that branch of the family.

This Monday I went to the bank in person for the first time in a looooong time (pre-pandemic).  Purpose was to cash in some savings bonds that had matured and were no longer earning any interest.  Here's the funny part:  my ATM / debit card expired last October, and this was the first time I'd tried to use it since then.  Yikes!  So it took a while longer than it might have otherwise.  They are sending me a new card that should arrive within the week.  I'm pondering whether I got the new card and snipped up the wrong card?  Quite possible.

More of this disturbing kind of thing seems to happen as I age.  Sigh.  Life goes on.  But is still good.

๐Ÿ”ฅ✨๐Ÿ’–


18 comments:

  1. ๐Ÿค”Must be something in the air. I fell for the Lays this week, plain and wavy๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿป‍♀️ My stomach was not happy AT ALL๐Ÿ˜”
    I did the 23andme a few years ago; I just agreed to participate in their ongoing research if my current results show they can benefit from more test results.
    I’m still one of the few masking up, too. My dentist appointment is coming up Friday ๐Ÿคž๐ŸผI hope to not have to wait around.
    Apologies for the rambling comments; I’ve missed you! ❤️
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how the tummy lets us know what it no longer appreciates / tolerates! Here's hoping for a good dental visit for you tomorrow!

      Delete
    2. Cleaning went well. Need to go back Weds for x-rays; looks like this Princess has a cracked crown, too. (The hygienist wasnt too sure, so better safe than sorry).

      Delete
    3. Good to hear it... and hope you get the x-rays and crown repair all scheduled. Agreed: better safe than sorry!

      Delete
  2. You are fortunate to find people to care for your lawn. After a month of trying, back in the spring, I gave it up for a lost cause. I've contacted someone and asked for a bid to clean the two acres I was able to mow. We'll see how that goes.

    Congrats to sister.

    Cataract surgery will make a world of difference. Especially if you drive after dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drive after dark often, but perhaps I shall notice the difference on those few occasions when I do... or perhaps I'll be more likely to decide to go places in the evening once the cataract(s) is/are taken care of.

      Wishing you good luck with your "acre cleaner". I'm very glad to have a prior relationship with the guys I'm having do my yard now.

      Delete
  3. You having a card that expired last year is like my mom with her driver's license that expired at the beginning of the year. I guess if not used we don't release those things.

    I'm glad that you were able to get a lawn service, it does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already with just one mow done I feel good about that lawn service. It just feels like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

      Delete
  4. We are finally nearly off the hook for tending mom's yard and I am so looking forward to that. It is just getting too much for us as well. I would probably be at the low end of risk taker too. I use to think I would do these amazing adventures but when I thought of the things that could go wrong - I thought - nevermind. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a double take on that risk averse... I mean, I used to do triathlons, how could I be risk averse? But when I think about how speed on the bike scares me, and how carefully I take corners... I raced like a little old lady, too! And I do envision "everything that could go wrong" when I head out the door. When those things *don't* go wrong, I'm relieved and have a good time, though.

      Delete
  5. I shredded a new card and saved the old one time. I also shredded a medical card thinking it was propaganda. I also learned the hard way to not put an unopened junk mail envelope in my shredder. I had to pick out that snotty glue used to old cards onto paper.
    Oh, well. I'm entitled to slip.

    I think you'll do fine with your yard. Grass is forgiving. Are they going to allow your clover to grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned that "junk mail" lesson with the shredder, too, a few years back! I don't know about the clover... guess I'll find out. What I do know is that these guys won't do anything without consulting with me first... so if they plan on putting down a broadleaf killer, I'll get to give my input first.

      Delete
  6. Lays Potato Chips . . . can’t eat just one! **SIGH**

    Glad you found a lawn care service. NOT EASY, at least around here!

    Oh my. I would have been uncomfortable being the only masked one in a small waiting one! YOU did the right thing. **SIGH**

    Good luck w/the cataracts. Mine were both ready @ the same time, but had to have a 3 week space in between having them done. Did the right first (the most problematic). No problems. Good luck!

    Wow, I cannot even recall the last time I was in our bank in person! Well before the pandemic!

    Here’s to a good Thursday.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lawn services are one of the hardest things to find a good fit.

      Everyone I know who has had cataract surgery has had a good experience, so I hope mine will be the same.

      I know what you mean about the bank... there's very little you can't do on line these days, and I don't spend cash much any more, so... don't even need the ATM (which would have required the card).

      Good Thursday, and a good weekend ahead to you and yours!

      Delete
  7. Nice to see your blog. Lay's Classic chips are my salty kryptonite! Getting whiplash here from trying to follow politics on local, state and national levels. Spouse recently had surgery for cancer on one ear which included a skin graft. He has been declared cancer-free for now. We are so grateful for good insurance coverage. At 73, we have concluded that we have officially passed from a 'preventive maintenance' stage into 'maintenance+treatment' stage with an ever-expanding litany of medical appointments. I hear you about being the Lone Ranger wearing a mask in waiting rooms. Good for you for taking care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how the "classic" junk foods are more appealing than the fancier flavors these days, for me. As I approach 70, that whole "medical maintenance" phase comes into play for me, too. I sometimes feel a tug of "social guilt" about the masking thing, that old "am I being too cautious?" thought. But better safe than sorry fits with the "risk averse" thing in the DNA!

      Glad you're taking care, too!

      Delete
  8. I had cataract surgery a few years ago and elected to get lens implants, one eye for distance and one eye for reading. That’s how my brain has always worked; I have no need for glasses and can see just fine. All went well and I’ve had no issues! My cataracts really affected me prior to surgery; interesting (and lucky) that yours
    are not bothersome! Glad that you have your yard maintenance in place…one less thing to worry about. Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That "one for distance, one for reading" is how my older sister had her cataracts handled, too... and now she's free of glasses, as well! I'm hoping for a similar good outcome.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...