Friday, July 24, 2026

Happy Birthday

 

This weekend

The birthday boy opens the card and discovers that his in-laws have given him a gift certificate to the restaurant at which we are celebrating his birthday dinner.  Best smile I've seen on him in a while... down to the crinkly eyes!  He quipped, "Oh, for when I steal the check!"  Which of course he did, as he is notorious for doing.

My co-mum-in-law made it clear to the server at another family outing that the bill was to come to her, but my son snuck off and paid it before it got sent out.  It makes him feel good to be a provider!

We got around it this time by giving him money to pay the bill!  Co-in-laws with a gift certificate, me with a check.  Families have to have those inside jokes, don't we?

Ten Years ago

When you have saved stuff online on Facebook, every so often it reminds you of what you were doing "10 years ago".  I'm going to share this one because it shows that once upon a time I did crazy things!

On my son's birthday, 10 years ago, I was pedaling up a hill talking "hands free" to wish him a happy birthday.  This was during a 50 mile bike ride, which is the longest I ever did.

Sunday has been a peaceful "catch up" kind of day.  It's good and hot outside, so Ember and I went for our neighborhood walk in the morning.  It was still 81℉ by the time we got home.  We went on our coffee run.  When she crated herself for a puppy nap, I came upstairs to shower.

I went down and made my breakfast, then stretched out for a nap on the couch.  When Ember and I got up, we went on a ride to get her doggy treats from the store where she's allowed inside.  First time we've been there when another canine was in the store and she did well.  She did shy back when a nice couple wanted to pet her, but they were experienced dog people and politely gave her space to recover from the startle of a stranger approaching.  She happily downed the dog biscuits the clerk offered.  The clerk had remembered Ember's name!  This trip to the "candy store" has become a routine thing, and she knows what is expected.

We stopped and split a little ice cream cone at the DQ on the way home.  Ember has had a good day.  After she had her supper, she bedded down in her crate for her nap before "last call" and I went to the grocery store before coming upstairs to pay bills.  An accomplished day... still to do, laundry sorting and putting away, which I've been putting off for three days.  Still in their baskets!

Monday July 20th

Forecast to be the hottest day of the year, so far.  Supposed to top the century mark, Fahrenheit.  Ember and I went walking in the morning, when it was already nearly 80 when we started.  She was a very good girl as we were not alone starting early!  We did our coffee run, then during puppy nap #1, I got my shower.  This appears to be the routine for hot days.

Tuesday July 21st

I woke to thunder and rain on the roof.  Ember was very happy to head off to day care.  Since I haven't shoveled out (vacuumed) her x-pen in a full week, I'm happy to have her occupied and no appointments for me, so I can clear it out!

Why does it feel so much better when the room has been cleaned?

Also on Tuesday, went for a haircut.  

Wednesday July 22nd

Mr. Weather man tells me that we will have three relatively cool days in a row, and Wednesday was the first.  Starting with the weekend we'll have another week of "above average" temperatures.  

Taking advantage of the cool, Ember and I went out at about 7:15 Wednesday morning and had a nice mile and a half sniffing adventure.  No big arguments about other people's yards or dead things to roll in, and she was proactive about crossing to the other side of the street and even about giving me a pretty polite sit to wait for cars and people to decide their routes before we chose ours.  

However, two blocks from home, she found a second breakfast, left on the front lawn of somebody else's house.  Looks like maybe another dog didn't digest but regurgitated.  Sigh.  But my little gal decided it was now hers, and there was no convincing her otherwise.

Consequently, I am on watch for any unusual "output" again.  We got home before any predicted showers and went on a coffee run before Ember decided a crate nap was just the ticket, and I came upstairs to update the blog.

Thursday the 23rd

Stapled the underpinnings of the couch fresh.  Ember had started "worrying" at the fraying parts again.  Sigh.  I told her "no" and she stopped, and more and more I'm able to remind her of what's a no-no.  She doesn't go out of her mind like she did as a young pup, but she still uses the no-no activity to get her hu-mom's attention!

I vacuumed out the x-pen, got some recreational reading in, and even took a nap before getting the trash together to put out for Friday morning's collection.  Despite it being one of the cooler days in the forecast, it was humid, and I was sweating for sure.

Friday the 24th

It's raining as I type this!  Ember and I went out at 8 a.m. when it was "on a break".  Did we get rained on?  Lightly.  As in a Summer morning gentle mist, with temperatures in the upper 60's F.  It was lovely!  

Oh, and the output I was watching for since Wednesday morning... yep, we've had soft poos for a couple of days.  "See?" I tell the dog, "This is what happens when you eat stuff you find in other people's yards!"  She just grins up at me, as if to say "Worth it!"

Ember's theme is the same as MOBYCARP's:  Life is Good.


I "borrowed" this from Chris Downie's Facebook page.  He was hinting at a SparkPeople reboot, with AI trainers, no less.  I put myself on the waitlist, but if you look at this image closely, you'll see BROOKLYNBORN, LEANJEAN6, and MOBYCARP, among others.  Gives a body a tidal wave of nostalgia, doesn't it?

Spark on!






2 comments:

  1. Phoenix1949

    Loved the blast of SparkPeople! I spied JEANKNEE and others that I recognized by face and memories along with the 3 you mentioned. I'm not on FB but would love to be added to a list of alumni who would appreciate the tracking capabilities and exchanges with folks of goal of getting and staying healthy.

    At age 13, KC the Sunshine Dog has taken to eating his poop, ugh. Initially I though he had tooth & gum issues when I noticed the putrid breath. He has been on The Farmers Dog, human-grade food, with amounts set according to his age, activity and weight for 2 or 3 years. From pushing his bowl around and giving us sad puppy eyes, it seems he doesn't think this is enough. Hence, the seconds after processing it. We are trying to pick up after him immediately to eliminate this. He has daily zoomies that are quite entertaining and checked all the boxes at his recent Vet examination and rabies renewal.

    These consecutive days into the low 100's are daunting. Our longest recent power outage lasted 6 hours. We have quick brownouts that mess up the PC's, sound systems, etc. The closed blinds and curtains help keep the heat out somewhat. Electric rates keep rising and the utility owners bombard us with detailed reports of usage and pleas to make other concessions. Thermostat set at 76 and I can't tolerate a higher setting. Water shortages also a problem in these parts. YET, developers keep building the high-rise apartments all over the city that helps escalates the cost of both. Sigh!

    Keep On Keeping On!

    Susan, Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give KC the Sunshine dog some extra pets for me. I remember updates from years past. I'm almost afraid to put Ember on to one of those measured diets, because I feed her entirely too many treats. And I don't think she'll let me stop.

      I currently have her on a mix of Rachel Rae's Nutrish salmon and veggies and rice kibble, and Taste of the Wild Ancient Stream kibble, plus green beans, and her various training treats, bones and chews. It's not as though she's not being fed enough. But she is a lab, and they have a remarkable tendency to be always hungry no matter how much they are fit. Fortunately I seem to have found a combination that keeps her maintaining a weight that her vet is okay with.

      It still doesn't stop her from finding things in other people's yards though.

      If you want to put yourself on the wait list just go to the old sparkpeople.com web page and it has a link to go on to the wait list.

      I don't know if it will be as good as the old spark people, but I do hope it becomes another way to reconnect.

      Delete

Happy Birthday

  This weekend The birthday boy opens the card and discovers that his in-laws have given him a gift certificate to the restaurant at which w...