Sunday, February 13, 2022

Happy Super Gold Valentine's Weekend

 

My Sunday morning started with the ding of messenger, from my daughter in love (I stole this title from another blogger)... letting me know she'd left valentine's goodies on my door.

Turns out her parents had made cookies and she and my son had picked up a croissant from a favorite bakery... so I had coffee and croissant breakfast watching curling.

The rest of the day I did a lot of phone gaming.  I have discovered the little app that has you untangling ropes.  And of course the wood blocks puzzle I've had on it for quite some time.  Wordle is on the web site, so have to fire up the computer to play that one.  But the bulk of my time are the "blast" games... Toy Blast and Toon Blast.  I'm on a team for Toon Blast.  Wyoming Cowboys.  Every weekend there is a tournament and the only thing they ask (to not get kicked off the team) is that you play in the tournament and give helps to other team members who are playing.  So even if I let up on it during the week, Friday thru Sunday I try to pull my weight.

Meanwhile, in TV land, I've got sucked into something called The Gilded Age, on HBO Max (the one my son lets me be part of his "family" plan on).  It's from the same producer that did Downton Abbey, but set in New York City, high society.  Naturally, it has modern themes woven into the period piece.  So far, three episodes have aired.  And I'm keeping up with Billions, too.  So when I'm not feeling Olympics, or between the airings, I'm in a fictional world.  Seems about right for this time of year.

When I was younger, it would have been books keeping my attention, but I'm finding myself turning into my great grand-mother, who was pulled to the screen of her television, when TV was new to the scene.  I've always been a bit of an addict to the screen-driven games, fighting my kid for access to The Legend of Zelda on his Nintendo.  I found out by talking to mothers of his buddies that I wasn't the only mom sucked into that one.

But on special days like this one, I of course have the Super Bowl on the tube, and the Halftime show is starting, so I'm going to wrap this.  The game is at this point fairly tight 13 - 10 with the Rams leading the Bengals.  I'm a long-time underdog rooter, so I have hopes for the Bengals.  Seems the quarterback (Burrows) for the Bengals has a dad here in Nebraska, currently in LA for the Super Bowl.  Nebraskans will claim anyone with ties to the state, no matter how remote those ties may be.  Said young man was raised in Ohio and went to school somewhere else, but his dad's here, so we'll claim him.  

Here's hoping that whatever sedentary pursuits you might have, you (and I) remember to get up and move, too.  

Life is Good.  Spark on!

16 comments:

  1. The Gilded Age is another series I follow, too. I eagerly await to see how the Russells give comeuppance to the snobs. Christine Baranski is so perfect for this part. I loved her as Leonard's cold, uncaring mother on Big Bang.

    Our local NBC station refuses to yield to DISH so we have missed most of the Olympics (some of the lesser events have been carried on the USA network) and of course, tonight the super bowl. The greed of the few affect the lives of the many.

    So nice to be remembered with a special food delivery to enjoy with morning coffee.

    Have a great week! Stay safe. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when the local stations and the "services" that feed them to us get in those kinds of battles. I bought a digital antenna so I could get some of those channels over the air waves. A good investment, to my way of thinking, but it would not give me The Gilded Age. Like you, I love the kinds of parts the y have cast Christine Baranski in. She plays them to perfection!

      You have a fine week, too.

      Delete
  2. I am a big gamer too, I have to be careful not to get too caught up in them. I played Dark Age of Camelot back in the beginning and found I got too pulled in when I found myself stuck on a quest with a group at 3 a.m. When I tried to go to bed I was reported by one of the group members. I realized then that I was being silly getting that deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once upon a time, I used to have to time myself on the games, rewarding housework chores done with ten minutes of play time. Yeah, it's easy to fall down the rabbit hole, especially when "teams" are involved.

      Delete
  3. I've managed to not be sucked in to any current TV show series but we've both developed rerun habits( Big Bang, MASH). Ah, but the computer... You'll find me "playing with dead people" as I've fallen into the genealogy rabbit hole. I'm doing more than just connecting dots as I've been researching historical documents and transcribing old texts.
    I've 4 or 5 different bubble pop games that keep me busy when I'm done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rerun habit? Would you believe old Perry Mason episodes, and marveling over how technology has changed crime drama! The evidence, the courtroom rules, the "big reveal" where folks confessed on the stand or from the gallery? In this day and age of "deny, deny, deny"? It seems so "pure and innocent" perhaps, and that might seem comforting.

      The bubble pop games frustrate me, as do shooter games, because I am lousy at the hand/eye coordination required to aim at and hit a target. Give me a strategy game, any time. Not that I don't enjoy WATCHING folks who are good at shooting targets...

      Delete
  4. How nice of your DIL. Whatever we enjoy doing, let's do it with pleasure. Have a lovely new week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to start the day with a fresh croissant and coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What sweet kiddos dropping you by special things for Valentine's!! I watch more television now than I did when I had 'regular' cable ... the kids and I have Hulu/Netflix/Prime ... all three together are cheaper than the old cable system and while it takes me a while to hunt through all the stuff, I am more likely to find things I enjoy. I had a flu shot Friday and felt kind of icky over the weekend, so binge-watched season two of Sweet Magnolias and the only season of Finding Ola on Netflix. I enjoy Christine Baranski to no end, so may try a shot at the show. I liked Downtown Abbey, but bailed after season three ... I'm that way with most series.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred spirit... at a certain point in most series, I bail, too. I was proud of myself for making it through all the seasons of Gray's Anatomy... I think there were 12 or 13 seasons out before I watched the first one!

      If you wait long enough you can watch from the beginning to the end, and decide at what point a series just "lost it" for you. Which reminds me of another one that I didn't even watch the FIRST episode until after folks at work were complaining about how unsatisfied they were with the LAST episode: LOST!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like your Sunday was full of good stuff! I've been into Candy Crush lately. I haven't got into Wordle yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is this “get up and move” you speak of? 😂😂😂 jk, I need to give myself credit for pedaling the bike, right now. I did well when I walked a little, rewarded myself with puzzle time, repeated. Wonder if I will get back to that.
    Daylight and energy increasing is such a joy. Thank goodness for Wednesdays! This week th full moon is around noon on Wednesday for us 😮 love n hugs ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, moving. Around the house... do a chore... THEN back to the games.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...