Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Today's Olympic Treat: Nordic combined


This is another reason I love the Olympic Winter games.  There are so many "different" kinds of sports.  Nordic Combined involves cross country skiing for times with ski jumping for distance.  Maybe why I like both this one and biathlon is because of the combination of sports... after all, I went in for triathlon for myself.  And it also makes sense that I like curling in the combination of disciplines:  you have to have strength to throw the stones, and to sweep to affect their path, but you have to have strategy to choose which shots.

I suppose for some folks, the "big three" of Football, Baseball, and Basketball also offer combinations of skills, but the sheer variety in the Winter games always lifts my spirits.

Kid sis and I went walking this afternoon, in 49℉ sunshine with a light breeze.  We had skipped the prior two weeks due to cold, wind, and conflicts in schedules.  No!  It was THREE weeks we missed, because the week before that I had my "could this be Omicron?" isolation going!

Anyway, it felt good to get out and do!  It's also good news on the community spread front, hospitalizations are still too high, and unfortunately, also deaths, but the cases are dropping.  Hoping we'll see the risk dial go down in a week or two.  It's still in red, where it has been all of 2022!

Here's hoping my fellow Spark refugees are keeping up the spirit of self-care, as we move into seasons with get this:  more daylight!  It's coming, it's going to come.  Not before we get clipped by some more cold days, but it's coming!

🌞 Life is good.  Spark on!

19 comments:

  1. In honor of the Olympics

    Uncle Ray's Ruminations:
    A shark can swim faster than me.
    But I can run faster than the shark.
    So in a triathlon, it would all come down to who was the better cyclist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy watching the Olympics and try to watch many different events. I love just cheering for the person no matter what team they're on because of their skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety, yes. It's why I love the State Games, too. Good time to try out a new sport, as a spectator OR an athlete.

      Delete
  3. It was so good to get out! My legs are too tired to bike this morning, so I can catch up on your blogs. ❤️❤️❤️ Have a thankful Thursday 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather here is the same. I finally hit the 'bricks' and got around the block. It's funny how fast the wind picks up once the sun leaves it's apex in winter! Better I take colder but still in the AM.

    I marvel at the skill and determination of all the athletes in these sports. I start to think I'd been a slacker then I remember all those trails I climbed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We "did" when we "could"! Some of us later in years than others.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy watching the skill of these athletes!

    Glad you and Alicia could enjoy a walk.

    Here's to a terrific Thursday!

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just now I've been watching the replay of the USA versus Sweden in Men's Curling, and caught myself thinking, "day-am, those Swedes are good-looking young men!" OK, WAAAAAY too young for me, but I'm not dead... 🤩

      Delete
  6. Watching Chen's gold medal skating event left me feeling privileged for witnessing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The figure skating and ice dancing were part of what I used to tune in for primarily. And it keeps getting more advanced and challenging year after year! Breath-taking!

      Delete
  7. Such absolute athletic skill fascinates me .... the Olympic athletes are a wonder to behold, for sure! It has been FL cold the past few weeks...mid to high 40s at 7 AM when I walk with my “park family”... a group of 6 that meets every day to walk, talk, and enjoy nature. I have been very fortunate to have this outdoor outlet during this longggg Covid mess!! Spark On! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. The hours and days and weeks they put in to hone that skill!

      Florida has the BEST Winter running weather! The season from November through May is just awesome.

      Delete
  8. Glad you are enjoying the Winter Olympic Games and doing exercise. Have a bright Friday and a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great weekend, too... now it's the snowboard cross racing... exciting stuff!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...