Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Winter returns

 Weather, what else?

We seem to be past "false Spring" and back to Winter, at least for a few days.  The front blew in Monday afternoon into the evening, and Tuesday morning we woke to 6℉ (that's plus 6, F, which translates to minus 14, C, for those who live by that scale).  Brrrr!  Just a dusting of snow, and thankfully, the freezing drizzle passed us by, hitting East and North of us.

See?  Just a dusting on the deck.  The streets are mostly dry.  So I felt totally OK driving to the trainer's gym.

It was really warm inside the halls of the building, but just about right inside the studio where we lift.  We could see a few flakes dancing around outside the windows.

Then on Wednesday?  Mother Nature decided she had to top herself, and I woke to minus 1 .  Even more brrrr!

The pride of felines

Had to capture this "landscape" of my small pride of lions.  If they are, as the documentary says, "lions in your living room", that makes The Prisoner (gray) and Rubia (ginger) my personal pride.

The return of cold weather has driven them to stay inside more.  But The Prisoner especially demands to go out a few times a day, even in the cold.


Keeping safe from the virus, as the case counts continue to fall:

I mentioned on Friday that the local mask mandate got lifted.  I'll probably once again wear mine for a while beyond that mandate drop, waiting for the risk dial to also drop before I go bare-faced in public places indoors.  I'm still masking with the trainer, for now, but hopeful that the case counts will continue to drop and we'll have a couple of months of "near normal" as we did last Spring... soon!

The other thing I usually do over Presidents Day weekend:  taxes

US Federal income taxes aren't due until April, but I like to keep on top of these things.  If I am going to have to pay in, I want to budget for it.  And since I usually end up paying estimated taxes (a feature of retirement, since much of my income is chopped up or variable and doesn't have enough withheld), I want to know ahead of time, again, so I can budget.

The financial papers are generally issued by Presidents Day.  The last one I needed showed up last week, so... tradition continues.  

Yes, I prepare my own tax return, with software, and file on-line.  Not everybody does.  Some have incomes such that they don't need to file.  Others are more comfortable hiring it done.  I managed to "do my own (and my spouse's)" all through the years.

I remember my brother as I do this.  He did not trust the software, being an expert in his own right.  We would have these conversations on the phone about how the software treated some situation, versus how he would do it!  It was only the more complex scenarios on which they might differ.  He spent many tax seasons volunteering to help low income folks with their taxes, too.  I was proud of his giving spirit.

In any case, it's done now, filed electronically, and acceptance emails received.  I'm curious about other countries and how simple or complex their tax systems are!

The need to be needed

Do you come from a long line of folks who "hate to be the one who only calls when they need something"?  Yeah, me, too.  But when someone calls with that as their opening sentence, and you know that is their nature... your heart goes out, and you want to be of help to them.  It cost them to make that call.  They would not call me unless it really was their last option.

Don't know the date or time, or even what hospital, but I am needed in someone's hour of trouble to provide transport and post surgery check ups.  I think we all need to feel useful.  And we would all like to think if the shoe were on the other foot, whoever we called as our last option would respond with the needed help.  My caller was so relieved... she thought she had no one... but she's got me.

It got me to thinking of my dad's final weeks on the planet, when he had gone to a meeting in another city, and came home musing that even this late in his life, he still had a contribution to make.  I mused on this with a wry smile: retired or not, pandemic or not, I'm still needed, too.  

Speaking of feeling needed: YOU need yourself!

Which brings me back around to the reason I blog - the pep talk.  Do you take better care of yourself when you have others to care for?  Or are you one who neglects your own well-being when caring for spouse, children, pets and work or volunteer activities?

Something to ponder, perhaps.

The argument that I used to hear was that if you don't take care of yourself, how will you be able to care for others?  So, for that useful activity you are needed to do... please be kind to yourself, and take care of your own well-being!  Nurture the body with quality "real food"... as the saying goes... "not too much"... "mostly plants".  Get some activity in, and don't forget stretching.  Drink your water, to keep hydrated.  And remember at the end of the day, to let your worries go, and relax into sleep.  You've earned it!

Life is good.  Spark on!


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had similar weather to ours, except we had about ½ in. of ice before the snow. Just a dusting of snow. Just enough to hide the ice patches!

    Awwww, lovely picture of your pride! They look comfy.

    Still waiting for a few more 1099’s. ALWAYS late!

    That’s so wonderful that you can help that woman to and from surgery and her post op visits.

    It IS good to feel needed, useful.

    Have a great Wednesday.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reminder that winter isn't gone just yet. Those little lions at home are precious. Glad the virus stats keep going down. Best wishes on your tax work.
    Oh, yes, to be needed and the sense of belonging, extremely important part of us being humans.
    Have a great, fun, safe week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by! May you have a great week, too, Patricia!

      Delete
  3. 88F yesterday afternoon, 30F right now (1P, CST) with winter storm advisory predicting sleet and possible snow flurries. Grateful for Central Heating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrr! Central heating is a good thing to be grateful for! We went from a high of 61 (Sunday) to a high of 41 (Monday) to 17 (Tuesday) to 15 (today). Three more days in the freezer, then we're back into false Spring territory, in the high 40's to mid-50's. Roller coaster!

      Delete
  4. I happily did my own taxes for years using those programs until I got a letter saying something had been screwed up. Our taxes had always been a bit complicated so I hired a professional. He had to re-file 5 years worth (thanks to DH's collection of a pension AND working again work multiple businesses) but at least most were in my favor. I was going to try this year but we sold a shared property in the family and I just printed out 4 new forms needed...yikes. Harder than assembling a Christmas toy! I think I'll pay the CPA again this year.

    I seem to be the person who gets called. I haven't needed the help but I hope it's there when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we only got an audited question once, by the State of NY, when we were split between me living and working in Iowa, and hubs living and working in NY. I did them myself, and 'splained it over the phone, and they gave up after the phone interview and left us be! That was the worst year, in terms of complexity, just because of the living arrangements. After that we had to deal with inheritance. After THAT, with a small business. And on and on.

      I don't blame you for calling the CPA, and if I ever sell anything of substance, I shall likely do the same.

      Delete
  5. Taxes are finished. It was 75* on Monday: shorts, t-shirt, and outside all day. Right now it's 13* with a minus 1 wind chill. 25 days until spring, but whose counting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr! The numbers may be different, but the pattern is similar! Only a week until what they are calling "meterological Spring" (March 1), as opposed to the astronomical Spring that we all have memorized from childhood. Yes, I'm counting...

      Delete
  6. It was up in the 70'sF here not too long ago, then back down to 40-50ish. Today our high was 37 and the low was 28 ... big snow predictions and we got just a dusting.
    I've done my own taxes (except for a couple of years when I was very young and Dad did them for me) using paper and then computer programs. This year and probably for the next two I'll have an accountant doing them because of the trust/trustee stuff. I'm using her for the trust tax account as well.

    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my first year with enough income to have to file taxes, feeling oh, so grown up filling out those forms on paper. First in pencil, then copied over in ink... that was many decades ago, but it was a rite of passage, back then!

      Delete
  7. We're having the same kind of weather. It's freezing outside. We broke a record at -7, the record was -4.It's been snowing since Monday. It stopped for a few hours and it started up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrr! Just Brrr! Today I checked the car for the presence of the snow scraper, because I knew it was going to snow while I was at the trainer's. It did, but not enough to need it. Sigh.

      Hope you have a safe and warm weekend!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...