Friday, February 11, 2022

Word Lists

 


What they said:

  • Teacher
  • Crooks
  • Working
  • long-sleeved shirt
  • campus
  • shocking
  • Cosgtco

What I heard until I did my double-take, context check:

  • t-shirt
  • trucks
  • wealthy
  • sleepshirt
  • Kansas
  • shopping
  • hospital

Sigh.  It is becoming clearer that I am going to need "hearing helpers".  It's just a matter of time.  So far, I am functioning, aware of when I have to concentrate, ask again... do that double-take.  

On "I never go anywhere"

I have been amused in pandemic times by my Google Maps report.  I don't care, I leave my location detection on.  I figured at least if I start wool-gathering and wander off, at least my family / law enforcement would have a place to begin looking for me...

Anyway, the January report came to my in-box last week and informed me that I went to two different doctor's offices, two different grocery pick up spots, the gym, and home.  That's it!  Lather, rinse, repeat!  Last Summer was more interesting (back when the local numbers were better and it was kayaking season).

Which reminds me, I got my park permit sticker already installed on Dexter's windshield.  Looking forward to a more "normal" Spring/Summer, God willing and the variants don't rise.  Like gardeners ordering their seeds, that's me ordering my park sticker!

Today's Olympic reminder

I admit it, I will miss waking up to watch the curling competitions.  The hut, the house, the weight of a stone, free guard zones, the button... vocabulary that takes on whole new meaning once every four years.  For now, I'm savoring these matches.

Today's pep talk

Time to remind us all that we have ONE amazing body, issued to us at birth (or before, depending on when you start counting)... and its up to first our parents and then to ourselves, to take the best care of it we can, while it does amazing things for us.  Like keeping us going, alive!  It converts food to energy.  It heals wounds and injuries.  It resists illness and infections.  It does all these things as long as it can, and it's our job to do the best we can to provide it with high quality input:  clean water, fresh nutritious food, activity for body and brain.  It's easy to take our body for granted or to criticize it for not looking a certain way... but my goodness, what a functioning vehicle for life!

Life is good.  Spark on!


18 comments:

  1. Your word lists reminds me of some of the comedies I've seen with folks hearing the "wrong" words and the antics that happen as a result.

    Going nowhere is the song I sing. Personally, I'd like some new lyrics, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

    Enjoy the weekend. Stay safe. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, those words have been accumulated over about six months to a year.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. You Google sounds just like mine, grocery, doctor's and maybe another place but that's it. It sounds like it'll be that way for a while.

    Your word list makes me think of that game you play in school where you say one sentence and by the time it gets to the last person its different. Hope it's not too serious for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually it's the context that makes me whip my head around and pay attention! The crooks/trucks was in a news story on my local TV station. The long-sleeved shirt / long sleep shirt was in an ad for donating blood. The Costco / hospital one was the most recent, the speaker and myself both masked, talking about where she was headed after her workout! We laughed.

      Delete
  3. I can easily see how you got those words mixed, a great observation on our bodies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the vowel sounds are the same, but a few consonants got switched... "working class" / "wealthy class" was in a political ad, who the politicial was going to help out... I whipped my head around and went "say WHAT?" It was my hearing, not my skepticism, but it could have been either?

      Delete
  4. Or is it your attention to the speaker? Mind wandering? Sometimes my DH is 'almost' looking at me, I ask a question and get "Huh?" His attention is elsewhere and I swear all he hears is "Blah, Blah, Blah!"

    I seem to be more adventurous than many. Then again, I always have been, pandemic or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these misses are background... the TV, half-paying attention... bumped up by "that doesn't make sense" and then re-interpreting in context.

      Adventurous is a good thing! Go for it!

      Delete
  5. I think most of us are heading towards hearing aids. Thankful they exist! Have a safe and lovely weekend. Thanks for the pep talk, highly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My list would be pretty short too. Today going over to mom's to keep her on track and put up her new clock. It is snowing again here today so that keeps me close to home too. Have a lovely weekend and thanks for the pep talk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed the extended pep talk.

    "Say what?" is a two-word phrase I seem to use more and more often.

    79F here yesterday and right now 46F with a thunderstorm and sleet! Such extremes wreak havoc on my arthritic-ridden body (first diagnosed at 38 so 'Art' has been with me 35+ years -- he is joined by 'Ben', i.e., Ben Gay cream)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Art seems to be a permanent resident. Hope Ben keeps him in check and on his best behavior!

      I hear it's going to be warm for the football teams on Sunday in California, too! A strange weather season, all over!

      Delete
  8. Oh my dear, DO get your hearing checked. I sent for YEARS not hearing and got my hearing helpers in March, 2020 (DAYS before everything shut down in the beginning of the pandemic.) I BLESS these little helpers daily. Makes a HUGE difference in my life. Ummm . . . sometimes my kids are not as enthralled because they sometimes say things they THOUGHT I couldn’t hear. Surprise. LOL Now I do.

    Yes, definitely praying that the spring and summer brings better news. Ba.2 is much more contagious, but seems like less hospitalizations. BUT of course, there is that lag. So, fingers crossed, and keeping my guard up.

    DD is expecting in September. She was just talking this morning about how amazing our body is. She compared her first ultrasound to the 2nd one (taken @ 8-3/7 weeks) and the difference in size of that little peanut is AMAZING. It's all a miracle. Even now, @ 67, almost 68,I gain an appreciation each day of how precious and miraculous our bodies are! Taking the best care I can!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get the hearing checked in the Summer of 2020. They said I'm probably OK, come back in 3 years, but I could get aids if I wanted. I did not try them out at the time, but have been paying more attention to what I might miss. Since I don't go out to work any more, and rarely am in really noisy environments, I haven't yet pulled that string. But I am getting closer.

      So exciting a time for your DD! The idea that our bodies can grow and push out a whole other human being and then watch it grow and develop on its own? Awesome to be a woman!

      Keep on taking care, Barb... from the other Barb!

      Delete
  9. It’s wonderful to get those consonants back, says the voice of experience. Time for me to get the hearing checked again. Sigh....I’m thinking new devices will be needed. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💖 Sigh, indeed. As we get old-er, the percentage of the budget that goes on "living aids" for sight, hearing, teeth also grows.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...