Monday, February 12, 2024

Old movies and puttering

 As I live my way through this "whatever it is" crud... feeling better or worse day by day... I've been avoiding news and watching old movies.  Let's see, I watched Ivanhoe, the 1982 version Saturday. I noted as I did that I understood it a whole lot better at 71 than I did at 8 or nine when my folks took me to the movies (earlier version).

Funny thing about that... I think I was in second grade at the time and I considered myself a good reader so having seen the movie, I decided to check the book out of the little library five blocks from our house.  Shall we say it was a bit above my reading level at the time.  I wonder what I would think of it today.  Sir Walter Scott... am I up to you now?

I also indulged in watching Harvey, always a gentle flick, and one of my ex-husband's favorites.  I do like gentle humor.

I think it was Sunday morning that I was awake before four a.m., but went down for a nap by 7 a.m. and got up for good at 9:30.  I cleared out the recycle bins into brown paper bags, and broke down the corrugated cardboard boxes.  All loaded into the car, but then I decided not to go drop them off at the high school center.  Give myself another day of healing first, but it feels good to have empty bins in my kitchen corner, for a while.

I enjoyed watching the Puppy Bowl in bits and snatches, too.

Super bowl was a family watch party, messaging back and forth.  This started because of a generated graphic NFL ad with football players doing "bird-like things" (Eagles and Ravens).  Paused here at the start of overtime!

Well of course everyone thought of Lacey (my daughter in law) at once.  Kid sis (The Grateful Girl) immediately sent a text message to that effect.  I messaged the small family group, too.  Meanwhile, at their house, my son had called his wife in from the kitchen to see the ad.  She was using the distraction of cooking to avoid the boredom of the game.  Same daughter in law who picks her teams based on the mascot being a bird of some species.

The game proceeded with various of us chiming in opinions about the various ads that were shown, as well as any "rooting" comments, including comments about the actual grass on the field staining those nice white uniforms and the strip tease of the Usher half time performance.  I missed the top two layers of style (Nancy Reagan, Jackie Kennedy) because I was brushing my teeth.  By the time I turned around to actually watch the TV again, we were down to bare abs on Usher!  

When the game went into overtime, my daughter in law bowed out in favor of bedtime.  She's not a big sports-ball fan, and she is an early riser!  Monday is a work day for her!

I stayed up later than usual due to interest in the game!  It was a great 5th quarter!  And "my" team won.  There were fireworks in the neighborhood... lots of pops and booms... following the game as it is after all, kind of Chiefs Kingdom around here.

Am I getting better?

Monday morning was health assessment time, as I had the appointment for a mammogram for 3:30 p.m.  I called and asked how long I'd have to wait if I rescheduled, and they had something in just a couple of weeks, so I moved it.  

The real test came after lunch, when I took those recycles to the drop off site.  When I came home, I had a couple of big coughing fits.  So it was a good decision.  It's got me thinking I might also wave off tomorrow's trainer workout.  I am getting better, but slowly.  The old saw about if the illness is all above the neck, it's OK to work out, but if it's below the neck, don't.  Well, this is chest level, so that's a no.  Unless of course it's much improved by Tuesday morning.

Random topic:  Dreaming

Am I unique in having dreams about elevators and stairs?  This seems to be a recurring theme... the elevator doesn't go to the floor I want and the staircase is missing steps or whatever, or doors are locked.  I muse about whether this is the brain's way of repairing pathways, via dreams.  Some of them involve parking garages, some of them office buildings.  I've even had a few where the elevator goes outside the building and up and around the top floors.

What are your oddest (clean) dream themes?

That's enough for today!  Life is good!  Spring is almost here.  Spark on!


19 comments:

  1. Get thee to a doctor! Stop messing around with whatever it is that you have. Please take care of you!!! πŸ˜·πŸ’ŠπŸ’‰πŸ©ΊπŸ€—❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes taking care of me means NOT complicating things with a bunch of medicalizing. If I were not clearly improving... another story... but I'm feeling better day by day.

      Hope you are taking care of YOU, too!

      Delete
  2. I have had several dreams about the east block of Parliament building, but it had lots of layers and underground trains and just went on and on forever. Never about the center or west only the east block holds mystery, kinda weird cause it is the plainest of the three. We watched Song of Bernadette on Sunday instead of Super Bowl stuff, only found out Monday on the news who actually won. Take care of that cold/flu you have, hubby's is all above the neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often the buildings featured in my dreams are mixes of real buildings I've worked in, lived in, or visited regularly. They have walls that move, shrinking or expanding, like in Alice in Wonderland or Harry Potter. So... did you work in that east block that visits your dreas?

      I'm happy to report that I'm feeling better, day by day, too... and hope the same for your hubby!

      Delete
  3. I watched Harvey the other night, too. Tonight watching North by Northwest. Great movie.

    I watched the Puppy Bowl, too. Such cute pups!

    I have to say, some of the ads were cute!

    Glad that you rescheduled your mammogram. Sounds like you needed more recuperation time. But if you’re continuing to cough after all this time, might be good idea to get checked out as Jeanne suggests. Good luck!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "All this time" may seem like forever, but it's only been a week, and it is getting better, but I carefully evaluate, day by day whether it's something I need to get checked out.

      Delete
  4. You know me I watch old movies all the time. I forgot about the Puppy Bowl.

    I'm glad that you're doing better and hope the crud leaves you soon.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's special was Kitty Foyle, with Ginger Rogers... it had been a while since I last watched it, and saw it on the AMC schedule.

      Have a great day up there on the high plateau, Paula! (( big hugs ))

      Delete
  5. Just caught up on your last couple of blogs; so sorry that you’ve been sick but glad that you are recovering!! I have 3 football teams that I follow, the Chiefs being one of them…loved the outcome of the game!!
    Mahomes is truly a very gifted athlete! Take care AND feel better! Eissa7 (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were able to enjoy the outcome. I never take games TOO seriously, as long as they are well-played, I'm happy... but there's something special about rooting for a long time favorite and they win.

      Stay well!

      Delete
  6. Hopefully you'll continue to take it slow and heal. I had whatever the virus-that-was-not-covid-but-incredibly-long was, and it took forever to be all the way well; if overdid physically I started coughing again and became exhausted. Eventually got over it, so am just masking up in stores and limiting how much I'm out and about. Everyone I know who has had 'it' took forever and had relapses when they didn't rest enough.

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those things is RSV. I had it last July, and it was verified by a nose swab. Lasted about two weeks, with a varying array of symptoms. I had another "longer than I thought it should be" bout that I did NOT get tested other than "not covid" in November. And now this one, that's mostly gone by now (a little over a week).

      I lucked out in that my personal trainer is now on vacation, to the "take it easy" phase will be enforced to that extent, anyway.

      Hope you had a good Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  7. My lingering symptom seems to be the froggy throat, I don’t feel anything in there, but my voice comes out hoarse.
    Not sure if this counts as odd, but my most common dream theme: I’m in a lot of pain, but can’t pinpoint where I feel it.
    Once I’m awake I’ll lay in bed and do a full body assessment to see if there is any REAL pain happening somewhere. Some days there is nothing, other days there’s a dull pain somewhere.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly, your brain is active while you sleep! Good job with the self-assessment in the waking! I often do this "hmmm, where did THAT dream originate" reflection when I awake.

      I understand the description of the voice sounding hoarse even when you don't feel the throat being "froggy". I've had that at times.

      Sending wellness wishes your way... and also for your nephew! So many "bugs" go around this time of year.

      Delete
  8. Thank you.
    Nephew got checked out yesterday because his fever persists! Sis got the it’s an Unknown Virus bit. Just have to wait it out, like everyone else.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one reason I don't go get tested unless it's not getting better... too often it's a "we don't know this one"... because they have only 3 definitive tests.

      Delete
  9. Hope that you are now “back to baseline” & over your crud… But I LOVED the “migratory football players” commercial! (old school birder here - an undergrad course that I really enjoyed was Ornithology)
    I am pretty “sick” myself of “taking it easy”, but yesterday afternoon my energy ebbed like water draining from the bathtub; I laid around all evening & felt like quite the slug, but needed to rebound a bit so I can get the trailer packed up today for my duties this weekend (hope they saved me an electrical hookup bcz it’s still quite chilly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (It’s Val! I hit publish before remembering that my iPad likes to keep things Anonymous πŸ™„)

      Delete
    2. Yes, this week (written on the 29th of Feb) I've been back working out at the trainer's studio, and being more out and about after taking pretty much a whole week and a half "taking it easy". Although I'm not entirely sure that doing my taxes counts as "taking it easy".

      Delete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...