Sunday, February 4, 2024

Thoughts on getting older

Last weekend

As we age, things change.  As our children are adults, we do things so we can connect with them.  In my case, this means I go to bars more often than I ever did in my youth.  How often?  Maybe four or five times in a year?  If you count the dog bar visits, the birthday outings, etc.  This one, on Sunday January 28th, was a joint party for my daughter in law and her dad.  They called it the 70-40 party.  I sat with my son as these kinds of things are among the times I actually get to see and talk with him.

Observation of one change:  a sugar-hangover lasts longer.  Tuesday morning I was still dealing with after effects.  Sigh.

Observation of another change:  vocabulary.  I found myself writing a review of Cassidy Hutchinson's book, Enough.  I called it a "coming of age" story.  She was 24 or 25, post-college.  Coming of age is happening later and later in my mind.  It's not a 14 - 16 year old getting through high school or finding puppy love, it's a professional figuring out what her priorities are, and having to leave behind one support structure to live with herself.  I have gone through transitions like this, periodically, over my seven decades on the planet.  Every transition brings change.  I'm still "coming of age", in my 70's.

Confession, I grew up in a Republican state, with Republican parents.  Consequently, I found it easy to identify with this idealistic young woman.  It reminded me of something that happened with my dad during Nixon's presidency.  

Son and mom thought:  Lacey's grandma was there to honor her son's 70th birthday.  

If I were to be present for my son's 70th birthday, I would be over 100 years old.  

By the way, the date of the party was not the date of either celebrant's birthday, they looked for a date "between" and that was the day they arrived at.  This is big KC Chiefs country, by the way, so folks were sneaking looks at video on their phones to check the progress of the game, but they still came!

I had written this part of the blog early in the week, on Tuesday, I think.  Then I went dark.





This weekend

Fast forward... got e-card from a reader checking up on me... so, time to pick up the traces after my "cave" time the rest of the week.  What dragged me out of the cave was a pre-arranged women's basketball outing, with my friend Gerri.  Yes, the same Gerri I go kayaking with in the warm seasons, and have walked the 6 miles of the state games "Volkswalk" with.

I had forgotten who we were playing.  Turns out it was Rutgers.

We were a bit "drowned rats" in our proof of presence selfie, before all of the crowd had arrived.  Turns of the precipitation that we really do need came as rain, so we were walking through the rain from the car to the arena, and it was still raining after, as we walked back.

Not too bad a crowd, considering the weather and that it's women's sports (but then again, Nebraska is pretty good at supporting our women's sports... remember Volleyball Day last August?)

The game was hard fought, with swings back and forth.  It was tied at the half, and then Rutgers went on a great run in the 3rd quarter and we were down by 11 as the 4th quarter started.  Yikes!

The Husker women fought back in the fourth quarter.  It ended in a heartbreaking 1 point loss for us.

Anyway, I have not fallen off the edge of the earth, but I have been in a writing slump, for a variety of reasons.  I actually have been reading more the past couple of weeks, not blogs (which, sadly, I'm behind on), but books.  I'm on a UK-written romance at the moment, as a swing back from the political/moral drama of Cassidy's book.

But all in all, Life is still good.  News is scary.  So, in self-defense and as part of self care... Spark on!



16 comments:

  1. Yes, our lifestyle does change when we ‘age’, doesn’t it!

    Nice picture of you and DS. And Lacey’s Grandma and her son. Looks like a good crowd @ the game!

    The days are getting longer, thankfully, but still a good time of the year for reading!

    Here’s to a good week ahead and glad all is well.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when it's warm enough, but still cool, and I can step out on the deck, take in a deep breath and tell the cat, "smell that? Spring is on the way!"

      Wishing you and yours a good week as well!

      Delete
  2. Yes, with my birthday days away it makes you think of age and what's to come. It looks like there was a wonderful time had by all there.

    I haven't been into putting blogs together. I'm starting to get my mojo back.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw what you did for your birthday observance, and it looks like so much fun, too! I think sometimes we run out of things to write about and start to be bored... it takes something like your going to Chicago or my going to a ball game to kick our writer's block off the page!

      Have a good week ahead! ((( hugs )))

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Reading is the best pastime during the winter months. (IMHO) Recently, in a recent online article, there was a photo of Katy Porter seated in the House gallery, holding a book. The title of the book caught my attention and I'm now a little over the half-way point of same titled book. "Remarkably Bright Creatures" waits in offing.

    I'm on a political news fast. The drama is disheartening.

    What a beautiful photo of you and DS. Conversations with our adult children have to be the very best.

    Good times with good friends. Blessings abound.

    Enjoy all the warm days filled with sunshine and spring smells.
    🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy Porter is an amazing speaker / debater, she can destroy a BS-er faster than anybody I know, even better than Elizabeth Warren. The hard part of having adult children is letting them make their own mistakes and not harping too much on what YOU think they ought to do. Believe it or not when he started keeping company with the woman who is now his wife, he asked my opinion. I was massively flattered. She took that photo of son and me.

      Good for you going on that political news fast. I can't say I'm on a complete fast, but I'm definitely on a diet. However, reading books by Cassidy Hutchingson and Liz Cheney doesn't make for much of a diet... it's like my heart starts racing and I find myself re-living those days!

      Hope you too enjoy the coming on of Spring!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I have been reading a lot too, mostly cozy mysteries but I think this is the season for reading. Although now that I think of it, I love sitting on the balcony in the summer months reading too.... so there is that - LOL. Great to catch up and hear from you, I blog less too, mostly at the end of the month now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is an awesome pastime... and it can open up so many worlds beyond the physical space we're living in at the moment.

      Delete
  5. I like your party observations. This week is DD1(44) and DD2(41) birthday week. When did that happen? I don't understand why I have children those ages when I feel so young! LOL, it's mind over matter.

    Sorry we beat you...they put up a good fight ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Children grow up. They get to what we used to call "middle age". But we don't feel any older, do we?

      Delete
  6. Speaking of getting older, I sent a birthday e-mail to a 50+ year friend who is 7 weeks ahead of me with the message "here's some virtual balloons and fireworks and friendship memes in celebration of your milestone of reaching 3/4 of a century." The 3/4 remark saddened her because she had not thought of her (our) age in those terms. I told her to think of all the wisdom we have gained in that time from trials & tribulations as well as joys & triumphs. My sister who is 2 years younger than me tells folks who ask her age that she is entering her 1/4 quarter and not sure when it will be over but knows she is going into overtime in a much better place.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! 3/4 of a century is not that far off for my older sister or for me. When I saw the news about Toby Keith passing, I thought... my younger sisters are about his age... and I'm ten years older. We never know, but we prepare for "a much better place". It's not about quantity, it's about quality, and it's not about others serving us, but us serving a world in need.

      ((( hugs )))

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather - hope you are over that hump! I was blessed to see my boy TWICE this week: meeting up for dinner to deliver prescription diet for his poor lil’ pit bull’s sensitive stomach, then getting Mila the python fed on Thursday… (I’ll post some photos, she is such a magnificent animal!) But I have no photos of Z & I together since his BD last summer…

    (Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy your animal photos! I don't get many photos with my son, either... so we prize them all.

      Wednesday night out of the blue I got a long phone call from him, "just to check in". These are rare and appreciated, and in some ways remind me of long conversations with his dad, all those years ago.

      Delete

Work in progress

 The woodpecker situation, work in progress At this point in the process, Jeremy the handyman had removed three smallish pieces of the sidin...