Wednesday, September 2, 2026

A tree comes down

 A giant tree, you've seen it in my sunrise photos, and in my moonscapes.  It is my neighbor's tree.  It is HUGE.  Must be 30 feet tall.  As big around the trunk as four mature trees.


I noticed this morning that my neighbor to the East was parking all his vehicles on the west side of my house, as opposed to where he normally left them during the workday, in his driveway and along the street south of my house.

OK, something's up, I thought.  Maybe they are having something delivered, and need driveway access?  Guests coming, perhaps?

Nope.  About two p.m. this big rig showed up and guys in reflective gear started putting ropes around the tree.  A little while later, they had a guy up in a cherry picker in the mix.  Branches began being thinned out, and a chipper was put into service.

It was clear that this would take several hours.  I could still hear them buzzing away, at 7 p.m.

The Prisoner came in with confetti sized wood chip on his coat.  When I went to pick up Ember from daycare and brought her home, she went out and sniffed at the deck.  The deck was getting a dusting of those tiny wood chips, brought by the wind from the chipper.



I will miss this tree.  I have no doubt that my neighbors will miss it, too, as it provided excellent shade from the afternoon sun!  Their A/C bill will no doubt go up.

It took, in the end, more than 24 hours!



Sunrise, Wednesday with a much reduced tree, above.




Down to the final trunk standing.



Then shorter.






Aaaaand... The big ol' stump when it's all down!  Now my deck is in full sunshine, no more filter to the sunrise!

Life goes on.  Despite this loss, Life is good.

Spark on!




10 comments:

  1. PHOENIX1949 Third attempt at comment staying on page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PHOENIX1949

    That tree looked like a good candidate for tree trunk art. I think it was you that shared photos of those when walking Carl on his visits to your house.

    First time I wrote this it had been 105F and dropped to a cool 99F!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but, sadly, this tree got no trunk carving done. Just a HUGE slab of a stump! I hope your A/C is working down there. We're complaining up here, with highs of 97F or 98F predicted today. Son and FGC are at the NU football game right now, so I'm hoping they stay hydrated!

      Delete
  3. Oh man, I am so sorry about that giant tree. Reading your post, I could actually feel that shift where a constant part of your view is just suddenly gone. It’s wild how much a single tree can shape a yard, from framing your sunrises to giving you that perfect filtered morning light on the deck. It really feels like losing a silent old neighbor that’s been watching over the street forever.

    I loved the little detail about The Prisoner coming inside covered in wood chip confetti, and Ember sniffing around the deck trying to figure out what was happening. Even if it means a bit of a mess to sweep up, it’s sweet how pets always notice when the world outside changes, even in the smallest ways. That whole crew being out there for over twenty-four hours just shows what an absolute unit that tree really was.

    Your neighbors are definitely going to feel that one on their next power bill once the afternoon heat hits. It’s going to take a while to get used to looking out your window and seeing wide-open sky where that massive canopy used to be. But like you said, life goes on, and at least you’ll get to soak up a whole lot of extra sunshine on the deck now.

    Enjoy your weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It *is* a big change! I step out on the deck and feel... naked? I can see all the way down the block, and they can see back to me!

      Delete
  4. We had that happen when we were back in Ottawa, we had a tree in our front yard that shaded our upper balcony, then the city came and cut all the branches down until our balcony was completely exposed to the sun. Our near treehouse was gone and when I called the city about it they said they did it by mistake and were very sorry about that. To say I saw red was an understatement. It will be hard to get use to although perhaps the neighbour had the roots coming into their foundation or there was some kind of disease in the tree that made it no longer stable and it was safer to take it down. Either way I am sure you will miss it but as you say, life goes on. Huge hugs and perhaps a patio umbrella on your deck would be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been dropping big branches in every big storm, and yes, maple trees have a large root system, so it could have been affecting their foundation, too. We are adjusting!

      Delete
  5. What a long process. Definitely a different perspective w/that tree gone.

    And Prisoner w/the wood chips on him . . . Imagine he wasn't too impressed!

    hug sand blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Prisoner followed Taylor Swift's lyrics: "Shake it off".

      Delete

Another week in Emberville

  Would you believe I bought that turquoise cow for her two years ago in August, when she was spayed and needed new toys?  It's still su...