Thursday, September 10, 2026

Back to an old project

 

Mt. St. Omigawd project returns.  For two and a half years things have got shuffled into piles not on the dining room table, as they were in days of old, but all over the house behind doors that could be closed for fear of the puppy getting to the piles.

The master bedroom, the office, the guest room... all have become pretty junky over time.

With the return of SparkPeople as version 2.0, I'm using this project as a way to figure out how their Goals/Milestones/Action Steps work together with the Planner to make progress toward a larger goal that's NOT weight loss or athletic outing related.

The entire exercise got my brain wriggling around the "why do the piles of clutter return?"  While a good deal of it was related to the rush of protecting things from the puppy, it's a pattern that has plagued my life for much, much longer than she's been with me!  In fact, I started trying to improve in this area when I was a teenager.

The why it keeps recurring has to be buried in the bowels of the spaces versus the systems of my life.  And of course, a large dose of my inner life, energy, etc.  I need to rebuild these areas, one by one, in my home to actually serve living the life I have.  Not to be perfect, mind you (impossible goal), but to be functional for me and for Ember and The Prisoner, too, for that matter.

One thing that happens over and over again is that I'm an "out of sight, out of mind" person, so partially finished tasks, especially cleaning tasks, end up with the tools left out on the counter.  This is far from the gold standard of "a place for everything and everything in its place."  Some of this can be addressed with tools, but most of it goes back to the Messies Manual books by Sandra Felton!  Suddenly I'm remembering the Mount Vernon method.  Using the hidden spaces that exist, and clearing out what doesn't belong to trash, to donation, or to another storage space... leaving only what is functional for the purpose of that drawer!

Deep breath!  That's just the intro to what will be a "mental work in progress" probably for the rest of my natural lifetime!

Thursday, September 10, 2026

I was determined to finish the vanity today.  I had only the last flat, center drawer to clear out.  Well, I discovered the rabbit holes of distraction.  Anybody remember this little item?


I still had its instruction booklet, buried in that drawer.  Nostalgia is an amazing time suck when you are trying to decide whether to keep something or not!  I settled on taking its photo before sending it to the landfill or recycling.

I also found, and shredded, a social security card from someone who passed away in 1996, and a library card from before my son's deployments.  And a TON of hair.  Yes, hair, because that middle flat drawer holds my combs, and is often open when I comb my hair.  My hair is so fine and light, it's invisible until it accumulates!


I now have five vanity drawers with only intentional pieces in each drawer, and only two storage "things" on top of the vanity.  My jewelry box, and an organizer for my dental stuff "beyond brushing".  

And then of course, the nightmare beyond organizing is, "what's leftover and what do you do with it?

There were several pocketknives, buttons from garments that shipped with spares (probably most of the garments are long gone from my closet), several foreign coins, and a few pieces of jewelry that I almost forgot I had.

The jewelry obviously went into the jewelry box.  The coins went into the safe, even though they probably hold little value other than what memories they could trigger.  I actually have a button box, which is where the buttons were relocated.

I think I counted six pocketknives and various small tools, some screws and bolts.  These all went to the kitchen junk drawer, which will become a project of its own, down the line.

Peeking out from the kneehole, you can see I have a largeish basket of electronic cords and gadgets and connectors, and a few other odds and ends. This will also have to be processed on its own, as I try to figure out how they all fit into processes.

I checked off the vanity from my goal structure.  This was supposed to be 15 minutes, two days a week pace.  Today's effort took about an hour and a half, when you add in all the little detours.

Getting to the button box brought out a stack of books to relocated to a shelf in another room, for example.  I talked turkey to myself about not going down rabbit holes, either with the kitchen junk draw OR the bookshelves!

The real test of the vanity, will be what happens in the next month or so, as I try to live with the newly organized thing, and try to avoid re-piling "stuff" onto it or into its drawers.

Wish me luck.  And I'll move on to the next area of the room, but not until Tuesday!

Life is good, here in Emberville.  Spark on!



6 comments:

  1. PHOENIX1949

    Kindred spirit on the piles handling/mishandling/not handling here!

    Most of mine are genealogical, household and medical files. Have surgery coming up next Monday for issue other than cancer journey and the paperwork, prep-kit items, patient portal printouts from multiple sources, i.e., surgeon, hospital, anesthesiologist, labs, test kits, insurance info for each, etc. for this one item sap my already limited energy.

    All I've been up to on SparkPeople 2.0 is spinning the wheel.

    HOT and HUMID still our weather description here.

    Onward Thru The Fog (popular bumper sticker here in the late 60's and early 70's).

    Susan, Central Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Susan, a person's only got as much energy as they've got. Use it on what's most important, and you can't go wrong. I'm pretty active over on SP2, getting into blogging everyday, working my way through a class, and using my observational skills to point out things that aren't working the way I would expect them to work. Testers R Us!

      Sending healing vibes and prayers for the surgeon's skill for Monday.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you luck. When you finish I'll fly you out to California to organize all of my STUFF.
    Maureen from California

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I do love a good purge! I am opposite as when I can't find what I am looking for or the drawer looks messy to me, I get sorting and purging as quick as I can. I have to hold myself back at times to stop purging too far as once in awhile I miss something and then am sorry that it is gone but then I remind myself when I am gone it will get tossed anyway so what the heck. - LOL You are going to love the results I am sure. Keep up the great work and huge hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my gosh . . . . that’s part of the distraction of decluttering for me! Finding relics from the pasts that trigger memories and down the rabbit hole! I sure do remember the activity tracker. Had a few of them. I know you have the Spark coffee mugs, too. LOVE those.

    I was laughing @ the collection of spare buttons that come with different articles of clothing. Check. Tossed lots of those. LOL

    I wish you luck learning to live with the new organization! You can do it.

    hugs and blessings

    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete

Back to an old project

  Mt. St. Omigawd project returns.  For two and a half years things have got shuffled into piles not on the dining room table, as they were ...