Friday, March 25, 2022

Day by day - it has been a beat

It has been a beat since I managed to push a blog out to the world.  I have written a sentence or two at a time, but never enough to feel complete.  I am pulling this one together from those snippets.

The almost-full moon Tuesday night the 16th lured me out to take its photo.  It was still fairly mild, enough that stepping out on the deck felt cool but not frigid.  

That morning I had my trainer session.  With it being newly daylight savings time, it felt oh, so early!  But we survived.  

Wednesday the 17th I slept until I woke up, and it was nearly 7 a.m. by the clock.  My fitbit gave me a high score for sleep quality, too.  I rarely see 90's, but it gave me a 91.  And I did feel rested.  Retirement rocks!

Happy St. Patrick's Day on Thursday.  I went digging in my closet to find the lime green Lincoln Marathon shirt to wear to my workout.  Matching it with the Spring green Brooks running shoes made me feel particularly Spring-y!  It gave me an energy lift, as well.

Saturday the 19th was the official "fish party #1".  There isn't much "party" in these parties, in fact, most folks "regular Sunday dinner" would describe it better.  My nephew in law and his mother in law (my sister Ace) arrived as planned, and we scrounged about the kitchen finding the needed equipment to produce (no photos, sorry) Pesto Salmon.  Roasted brussels sprouts and Italian loaf with bruscetta completed the meal.  It was very satisfying... and actually having real people around a table conversing?  Awesome!  Since the pandemic hit, this was the first time hosting a meal in my own house.  I'd gone to my son's place three times during 2021 for our limited "all vaxxed" celebrations.  Who'd have thought that just "come over for dinner" would become such a big deal?  Yet, it has.  Won't it be great when it's no longer such a much?

Then I started bracing myself for a people-y week ahead.  Tuesday the 22nd was a normal workout day, but we got snowflakes and raindrops to go with cool Spring temperatures.  I snapped a photo of a Spring robin, perched on the deck rail, with the flakes streaking by.


Wednesday the 23rd, I had a meeting with my financial guy... for whom I had a bunch questions such as "now that I'm going to turn 70 later this year, what do I need to do throughout the year, and  when?"  

Then Thursday (yesterday) was the pre-arranged "Mom's taxi service" for my former daughter in law's outpatient surgery.  We knew some things about the timing (she was to check in at 5 a.m.) and some things we did not know (as in when they would release her because it would depend on results).  So naturally, I woke at 1:54 a.m. and had trouble falling back to sleep.  Some time around 2:30 I gave up and got up, took a shower, did my daily Wordle (badly), and dressed for the day.  

I got to her apartment complex by 4:30, and we drove to the hospital, where we had time to sit in the car and chat before she needed to go check in.  Then I came home and nodded off until she was in recovery.  She remembered a couple of things by that point that would help with her at-home recovery, so I went over to my neighborhood Walgreen's to pick them up.  And around 1 p.m. it was time to go pick her up and deliver her back to her place.


 She invited me up just to make sure she was doing OK on her own, and I got to see the two kitties.  I don't have current photos, but I have an old one of Kalimdor... such a striking kitty.  The other one, Odus, is a long-haired Russian Blue, and I don't have a photo of him, other than when he was playing with Carl, during the short time Odus lived in the same household as Carl.  My kitties are mutts compared to hers!  Love them just the same, but I have to admit to the beauty of these others.

After DIL (former, but still, if you know what I mean) wound down and was ready to sack out, we deemed that she did not need a watcher, so I came home and kind of nodded off myself again.  I think I took a total of 3 naps over the course of the day, and still fell asleep during the Duke - Texas Tech game, and got a full night's sleep, too.

All that said, hope you didn't miss my mundane little blogs too much.  I also hope that we're all doing our best to live one day at a time and take care of our health and well-being during those single days.  Life is good.  Spark on!

21 comments:

  1. Life is kinda mundane, but so many things happen, don't they? I'm not a fan of cats but that one is pretty.
    I hope the young lady recovered well and you are sweet to help her.
    I haven't felt very "bloggy" myself. This venue doesn't quite float my boat.
    Oh well, I'm glad to read you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said that she walked down the hall and back this morning. I am in awe of how much they can do orthoscopically these days, and how much easier recovery is because of that.

      Yes "so many things happen" but when I write them down they look so... well, repetitive. Went to the gym. Walked in the neighborhood. Watched something on TV (Picard, of late). Cheered for a ball game. And of course, what can one say about the news without getting either too wrought up oneself or "in trouble" with friends who have alternate opinions?

      So... when I have enough to become sort of a "narrative"... I'll probably continue to blog.

      Hope things are well with you and yours, with those "many things" that are happening in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  2. Awesome pics! Retirement is marvelous. You are a lovely MIL. Lots done! Way to live! Have a great Friday and a weekend of pure contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You DID have a lot of people-ing! Glad the former DIL is doing ok post op

    And isn't it wondrous indeed how special family gatherings are now!

    Have a great weekend.

    Oh, those kitties are indeed beautiful!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... as with my own, I've known her fur-babies since kittenhood. The Siamese Kalimdor was adopted during her husband (my son)'s first deployment, along with a littermate that has since passed.

      Enjoy your own family this weekend!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! So nice to see your return...you have been missed.

    You have a huge heart. "Family" doesn't begin or end with a piece of paper.

    On a totally unrelated note: The Gilded Age has been renewed for Season 2. When it came to the high society snobs, Bertha sure showed 'em!

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, so glad to hear about The Gilded Age. I've been watching as the episodes came out, and can't wait to see how some of the story lines turn out. Bertha indeed is a woman "to be reckoned with".

      Have a great weekend yourself!

      Delete
  5. Always a pleasure to read your blogs, have a lovely week

    ReplyDelete
  6. . . . and the beat goes on . . . nice to check in with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💖 Yep, my generation of music references, too!

      Delete
  7. So glad to see your blog today. I miss reading your blogs.

    Lots of lovely people around you and you did a lot. How nice to have a little gathering of loved ones at your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been peeking in at yours, even while not writing my own! Good to see "life going on" across the Spark diaspora!

      Delete
  8. Yup, pretty quiet here too but so happy to catch up with you and yours through the week. Thanks for sharing here, with my morning tea feels like I am catching up with an old friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinx. I do that, too... sip my morning brew while checking blogs of fellow Spark refugees...

      Delete
  9. Hi Barb...So glad you blogged, I was getting a bit worried! I don’t often comment, but like a bunch of others, I’m sure, I am a faithful reader of a former SP friend! Mundane or not, it is life and your days are busy and full! Have a great weekend....your FL friend
    Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally come back when the energy has been restored. LOL. Have a wonderful FL weekend, yourself!

      Delete
  10. I guess daughter-in-love could have many interpretations, too. I use it for my son's current girlfriend, sometimes. As opposed to former daughter in law, who truly met the legal definition. I think daughter in law fits for a former, don't you?

    Yes, those mundane daily lives are a comfort to read... we are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have not checked in 'on you' in a long time...glad to see you are alive & kicking & raring to go! As always, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...