Friday, April 29, 2022

It's Arbor Day, at least in Nebraska

This is the traditional tree planting day.  However, it's not exactly tree planting weather this morning.


It's gray and overcast and sometimes drippy.  Both cats had stayed outside for the night, and were happy to come in this morning.  I took a short video of that blossomed tree to show the wind, but haven't figured out how to get it from the phone to the right format to upload to here.  I also confess to not wanting to spend the energy just now, but imagine it whipping about from time to time.

The week that was?  Gee, pretty normal and boring.  I had the trainer a couple of times.  The Ace and I actually got a sister walk in on Wednesday afternoon when it was about 80℉.  It had been about three missed walks since our last one, due to various schedule conflicts and physical "oofs".

Between those bouts of activity, there were a couple of "is my mind going" things:  on Tuesday I discovered my Monday thyroid pill was still in its little compartment.  I went off the allergy pills (Zyrtek clone for those of you interested in what I take given that I can't do decongestants) for a couple of days and discovered the hard way this was not a good idea.  

Then there was the nagging worry that I had mislaid an insurance premium notice because I know I paid that annual premium in May last year and it's getting pretty late for it not to be in my possession.  In the course of hunting for that bill, I discovered that for all the political ads about various candidates not paying their taxes on time, they are not that different from ME!  I know that a few years ago I had forgotten and not paid one on time (so I take those ads with a grain of salt).  Guess what?  Oops, I did it again.  So I corrected my error, escaping with only about ten bucks in interest to pay.  Still these mental lapses, or "failure to live in the present moment" got me puzzling over the "if you live alone and you start to mentally slip, how will you know?"

So, here I am, with a mini-Mt. St. Omigawd, trying to find that missing insurance bill today.  In the process, I discovered that the piles have grown up around the edges of the house, on the flat surfaces.  I hereby declare them to be side effects of the pandemic times and pulling my life-perimeters inward.  Yeah, no.  It's my own procrastinating self.  Kevin used to call these piles "unmade decisions", which is pretty much truth.  Today, we are pressing the re-start button on the paper piles.

In other news:  a forced hiacynth bulb that was re-gifted to me this week is starting to open.  I am contemplating where in the yard to transplant it... sometime after Mother's Day.  Spring.  It's Springing all over the place here.

This evening I've been invited to a musical production at a nearby college, by my son's girlfriend.  I'll be meeting the party at the venue.  

So let's all remember to:

  • Hydrate
  • Nourish
  • Activate
  • Find meaning, and
  • Get our rest
For to be of good in the world, we first have to take good care of our tools, which include our bodies and our minds!

Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥💖

18 comments:

  1. Maybe you could just call the insurance company? Or email them? I've recently put reminder kind of things on my calendar for a month or year out, to remember ... like paying insurance or mailing things out. When I worked full time I was on such a time-constrained track that I calendared everything and I notice that now I have more time (and stacks more of paperwork coming in from various things) that I've got to be even more diligent as it's easy to let time slide by.

    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do put them on the calendar, and plan for the cash flow in spreadsheet form. Diligence, it seems, requires a bit more than writing it down. One must read and take action, too. 😂

      Delete
  2. The pollen this spring is wickedly horrid. My deck and furniture are covered with "green dust". Zyrtec and Flonase...staples of allergy season.

    I've become a proponent of paperless billing. It has helped to eliminate those piles of papers that seem to be in an endless flux for shuffling about.

    Enjoy the musical production...play ~ concert ?

    Is your area affected by the wildfires? Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sympathize about the pollen. I have never been able to tolerate shoving things up my nose, but I'm trying to train myself with a saline nose spray this year. Covid tests kind of made me "get over myself" in that regard. Find silver linings, right?
      Paperless billing is how I've gone with two of my accounts, but not all. Yet. Slowly, slowly.

      Wild fires have been a problem in our state already this year. Mostly on the western half. But this year it has kicked up a notch, and we have lost two fire fighters in them. So sad. And so grateful for some rain last night and this morning!

      The musical? Was wonderful. We heard the thunder as the front rumbled through about the beginning of Act II.

      Delete
  3. Hello from polleny NJ. My eyes are itchy and both of us are sneezy-whining!
    My refrigerator is host to all my bills that need paid. As soon as they come in, up they go. Several magnetic clips decorate the front; one for medical, one for miscellaneous and another for my tax bill. The tax bill is all four quarters and if I didn't stick it in my face I'd forget it.

    Does it look nice? No. It looks real. Of course, like anything else in front of you, you can tend to ignore it over time. However they catch my eye over time and I've become better at getting things out.
    There you go.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Condolences on the pollen. It's mostly under control here with the drugs.

      I have a similar spot where I put bills "to be paid", and I pay them on line, once a week. But around tax time, I get a little... ummmm... distracted?

      Once I catch myself in a distraction, I get super vigilant, maybe change up the system a bit, and move on!

      Delete
    2. No need to be concerned at tax time! I've mostly converted to online as well. Dang, we are high tech ladies!

      Delete
    3. LOL! 😂 Not concerned, distracted... focus changes.

      Delete
  4. Tried logging in to my Google account to comment and got an: Unable to sign in to comment. Comment. Go figure. -Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How does RunKeeper Dee sound?

      Delete
    2. RunKeeper Dee sounds like a long-time friend! Whatever it takes, eh? Love seeing your workouts pop up over on RunKeeper, by the way, and when the Ace and I finish or start our Wednesday walks together, we're both saying, "Dee did this", or "Dee did that"... and we smile, with loving thoughts headed your way.

      Delete
    3. ♥️ you both!!

      Delete
  5. It's been so dry here and my allergies are already acting up. I hope this doesn't mean it's going to be a bad allergy season for me. We're finally getting some wet weather here this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Condolences for those allergies. I will join your hope that it doesn't turn into a bad season for you. Glad you're getting a little wet weather... we are too, down the hill here.

      Delete
  6. I put down forgetful due to remembering everything for mom and hubby. Can't keep everything straight for three people so I get left out. LOL. Well, we do the best we can with what we got. Huge hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some good excuses there, but please don't let it cause you to neglect yourself. And totally agree... we do our best, one day at a time, and that is enough!

      Returning those hugs! <3

      Delete
  7. OH NO! That’s one pill I really double check on – my thyroid pill – because I know I’ll pay the price for missing even 1 dose.

    For sure, flat surfaces always tend to collect papers, etc. I like Kevin’s perspective – unmade decisions.

    Enjoy the musical production! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The musical was wonderful, and particularly so as it's the first live theater I've been to since the pandemic began! I'll be blogging in a bit.

      I keep one of those little "day of the week" pill minders and it's part of my daily routine. I've even gone to writing down a check mark for having put in my eye drops! But if anything distracts or upsets that daily routine? Yikes! Better check the notes (or the pill box)!

      Made a lot of decisions and did some filing yesterday. I feel better. Oh, and the insurance, I went ahead and scheduled the payment online for same date as last year, so whether I ever find the bill, or if it arrives in the mail next week, it's done and dusted.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...