Friday, April 8, 2022

April showers - the week that was!


Tuesday April 5th.  It's rainy.  Surprisingly, I told the trainer on Tuesday  morning I didn't think it would amount to much.  Just as I was leaving to come home, I needed windshield wipers, but it still did not amount to much.

Former daughter in law was recovering well, with sleep and short walks, and soaking up her own solitude, over the past week.  We touched base via text messages.  She let me know on Monday the 4th that she was back at work.  And that her dad had come up from Arkansas for a visit.  

Wednesday April 6th:  dental cleaning day.  I had rescheduled this appointment because of former DIL's surgery.  Afterward I took a short walk to mail my estimated tax payments.  Ugh!  This was a brief substitute for the sister walk that was called off due to a work meeting of hers.  Just as well, that was some wind out there!  

I got distracted by a school assignment from my former daughter in law, after her dad's visit had concluded.  She was supposed to interview someone in the career she was aiming for post-graduation, and she chose me.  So the afternoon turned into a walk down career-memory lane.  While I was at it, the work/life balance memories came flooding in, too.

Thursday April 7th.  It was a sunny, but it was quite blustery all day.  On the way to the trainer session, I was stopped at a red light, and even when the car was stopped, the wind was swaying poor little Dexter!  The clouds rolled in about the same time.

For your weekly giggle, here's an image:  I forgot to put on my sweat band, and I was masking due to the prior week's nose drips... this resulted in all the sweat rolling into the mask, making it very hard to breathe by the end of the session!  Only as we were down to the core work did it dawn on me that I did not have the sweat band on!  It's a whole production... mask on, glasses in the case, headband, indoor shoes.  If you miss a step, something will seem off.

After my session, safely at home, I was just getting out of the shower, dripping on the bath mat when the phone rang.  A floral delivery person was on my front porch.  She tucked this little cutie behind the snow shovel (no, I haven't put that away just yet).  

It was an Easter bunny from my former DIL!  You didn't have to do this, young woman, but Thank You!  It made my day!  

I am trying to keep my mouth shut about the local politics and the world violence, but obviously this is what is all over the news.  My heart breaks for the displaced, abused, and slaughtered people of  Ukraine.  I grieve for the Russian mothers of their conscripted sons, many of whom will not be coming home to them.  I hurt thinking of the folks who are trying to help and being exposed to the aftermath of horrors.  

One of my running acquaintances posted a few photos from Romania, where he has gone to set up mission help for refugees.  It seems as though the lessons of history must be re-learned over and over.  It is my hope that our blogs are a way to escape from the news that brings us down, and to document the good that is mixed in.

Friday April 8th:  the project of the day was to get the recyclables to the center.  Recognize this kind of site?  Then your town recycles similarly to ours.  Sort your own, and get them into the right roll-off bin!

I came home to empty kitchen bins!  I set this system up back when the kids still lived here... cardboard in the top bin, newsprint in the middle, "mixed residential paper" in the bottom one.  Plastic, metal, and glass go in a bin in the garage.  It was a big haul today, as I had accumulated since about the week of Christmas!  I had already put three bags of cardboard, boxboard and was storing several unbroken down delivery boxes in the garage.




Anyway, that's what I've been up to this week.  Tomorrow I have "fish party" #2 to look forward to.  Here's hoping my reading buddies who aren't posting blogs of their own (as well as those who are) take care to make good choices for their own health and well-being.  One day at a time!  Life is good.  Spark on!🔥

18 comments:

  1. Very productive!
    That's a cute flower vase. Nice of her and nice of you, too.

    What's a fish party? I musta missed that.

    Tomorrow night my DD2, SIL2 and I are going to a concert to see Winton Marsalis and The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra at a local venue we frequent.
    DD2 and I saw Winton and his smaller jazz band there when she was 12. We were able to go to the 'green room' and git invited to the dressing rooms. He and his bandmates signed her copy of his CD, Joe Cool (yes, some of the Charlie Brown music), and he asked her to hold his horn while he did something. Such a starry eyed kid! She's contemplating bringing the same CD for a re-sign 27 years later!!!!

    Stay well and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a precious image of that 27 years ago concert! And she should definitely bring that same CD!

      The fish parties are that my nephew-in-law bought fish at CostCo, so you know it was a lot, only to find that neither his wife nor his father in law would allow its cooking in their living quarters. Enter mediator Ace... apparently only she, her son in law, and I are fish-eaters / cookers. It will take 3 dinners to use up all the salmon. This is the second of three. We are staging them a few weeks apart. My house, he cooks. It's an awesome small group party!

      I love the bunny... a good mate to Frosty the Demented Snowman!

      Delete
  2. It is so heartwarming that former DIL does not fill the entire category of "former". We have a "former" SIL. He and DD divorced, but we didn't. The Easter Rabbit vase and flowers is a festive way to say, "Thank you!"

    The world situation is sad and scary. We have a grandson who is in the USAF and is heading to Germany.

    Enjoy tomorrow's fish party. A good time to be had by all, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, I've been in the position of mom to a deployed service member. So I'll be adding your grandson and family to my prayer list if you don't mind. So many prayer needs these days!

      Delete
  3. Cute bunny!!!

    In our town, we throw everything in together and the rubbish collection company sorts it ... not sure how THAT works, but okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the garbage collectors here offer recycle service (for a fee) where you put it in a single bin. But mine does not. So, still hauling it myself.

      Delete
  4. That was a really full week! I, too, really love the bunny vase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bunny vase is soooo cute!

    I love the way our city recycles. We have one large trash can that we can throw everything in and they separate it. We have more in that can than our trash can now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My one Easter decoration looks like he'd be really "at home" with your collection.

      What a nice arrangement to be able to just put all the recyclables in one bin. We used to have that in NY state. We also had to put our trash/garbage in clear bags because the garbage haulers would NOT take anything recyclable! I find it fascinating how the local rules differ from place to place.

      Delete
  6. Awwwww, what a beautiful arrangement!

    I just cannot fathom that the lessons of the past are having to be re-learned, but clearly, they are. Sadly and tragically. I just find it hard to bear turning on the news. Can’t bury my head in the sand, either, but have to allow my brain a little respite. Then I feel guilty because the Ukrainians do not get ANY respite from this. Prayers and blessings for them and this world!

    Soujnds like a good week al in all.

    HUGS and hope you have a good week ahead.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally with you about the guilt that others get no respite. This is true of all ills... there is always someone getting no respite. But still, if you know anyone who is directly impacted, you often find that they, too, take moments of respite, even if only mental ones. Mental health breaks!

      Hugs and wishes for your own good week ahead.

      Delete
  7. Cute bunny vase.

    Our city (now 1 million folks) has single container curbside recycling for most items. We used to have blue recycle containers to keep items separated. Styrofoam packing materials require periodic runs to a place across town that has limited hours--a lady in our subdivision would collect this and had a team of volunteers to make the trek. This system fell apart with her move and the pandemic. Twice a year there are collections of paint, batteries, etc. with our local library as a drop-off point.

    Love grilled salmon.

    We got the notice that the second booster shots will be available starting next week so getting appointments is on the to-do list.

    I share your feelings about the Ukranian's plight and the ripple affect. In an exchange with a cousin that is 85, I replied to a question from him with "As I see it, there is a very painful worldwide cataclysmic paradigm shift under way with the forces of good & evil clashing on many levels."

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am somewhat jealous of those of you who have single container recycle services, curb-side. We, too, have periodic "hazardous waste" collections. I went to one of those last year and got rid of several things that needed to go.

      I'm still on the fence about shot #4. It's been just six months since I got shot #3, and I would prefer to get shot #4 "two weeks before the next surge hits". But of course, none of us can predict when that will be! So waiting a bit and watching... for now.

      I agree with what you said to your cousin! And you keep on keeping on, too. May you have a good week ahead.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for adding DGS and the family to your prayer list. There is much power in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pop over and read yours, too, from time to time, but don't always leave a comment. I think we are becoming more accustomed to Covid being out there, and many are getting it. I have tested a total of nine times over the two years plus, and they have all turned up negative. I will test tomorrow and if it's negative (which I expect it will be) may get shot #4, because the health department sent me the link to sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to see you're fully living life to the most! A great week. Lovely Easter bunny and kitty pic. Sweet ex-DIL. Glad she's recovering well. Have a great rest of the Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...