Friday, April 22, 2022

Made it to Friday!

Monday, April 18:  the downstairs TV was set to the Olympic channel, which broadcast the elite races, wire to wire, but pretty much didn't talk about the ordinary Joe runners.  On the upstairs TV, I had CBS local WBZ, which is what I used to watch when I was physically in Boston.  Their focus is more on the Joe Athlete stories.  They do show some of the elite race, but throughout the day you get the age group finishers, and the stories of charities they are supporting, etc.  In the years when I flew out to Boston to watch in person, I would wait in the hotel room and watch the wheel chairs start, with whatever companions were joining me.  Then since I stayed close to the race route, we made our way to the designated watching area to wait for the racers to arrive!

Different years, that designated spot may have been different, but the routine was about the same.

Over the years, the elite athletes have become familar names to me.  This year it was most gratifying to see Chebet win the men's division, as the weather in 2018 had been too much for him.

Here in Nebraska, the daffodils are in bloom.  Monday was laundry day, and I get a lot of up and down the stairs, anyway.  Having two TV's running different angles in different parts of the house was workable.  

Sunday afternoon I had started measuring my fence line, knowing that a fence project is nearing the top of my list.  Monday afternoon I spent a short period starting to clear out the back yard.


I took a couple of progress photos of the work.  This was before I started, from last Thursday, right after the fence section was dragged off (by me).


You can barely see through the bare stems.






Monday after my session, it was getting a bit clearer.

There is plenty yet to do, but I have to pace myself.  I took a shower late in the day to make sure the allergens were cleared before bed!  

Tuesday morning, the Keurig machine went on the blink.  Ugh!  No coffee for me!  Good time to re-decaffeinate?  Nope, found a way to make it work, after I came back from the trainer workout!

Wednesday... drizzly and gray morning, but it's not cold.  I ordered my groceries for pick up on Wednesday morning, so was out and about doing that.  Out of bananas... why for pick-up, when we're still "in the green" on the Covid dial?  It has become my go-to, for convenience.  But it had added incentive:  spend on a pick up order (a certain amount) and get 50 cents a gallon off your next fill-up.

Had it not been for the pandemic, I might not be doing this.  But I'm finding lingering habits... I mask, not because I am concerned about catching Covid, but because it hides my drippy nose in allergy season, affords protection to others "just in case", and seems to help with the allergies, too.  I do go inside the grocery store when I'm only getting a couple of things, but for the weekly stock up?  Drive thru pick up!  Because of the pandemic, I hardly pay cash for anything any more.  I still have some small bills left from the last time I went to a bank, in March of 2020!

Kid sis Ace came over for tea after her work so I had a Wednesday afternoon sister-session, a super catch-up after Easter and Passover and several meeting things for her workplace that landed on Wednesdays.  Her hubby is now retired, so that's an adjustment, too.  I think it had been a month since I got to spend time with this particular sister.

Thursday, April 21.  Trainer session in the morning followed by a refreshing nap in the afternoon.  This was the second day in a row I indulged in an afternoon nap.  Fitbit tracks these things and informed me that yesterday's was an hour and a half, and today's two hours and a quarter!  I figure I needed them after I shorted myself on sleep Sunday night.

In the evening I put out the trash and the branches.  Friday morning, the trash men came and hauled them away, so starting over to fill them again.  This photo was taken after Wednesday's "yard minutes", I filled the other two cans Thursday evening as I was tranferring to the curb.

Friday is predicted to have a high of 83℉, and it was already 70℉ when I first let the cats out.  Shirt sleeve weather.  Really, really Spring.

Did I follow my own advice from the last pep talk?

I shall give myself a passing grade on hydration and nutrition.  Not stellar, but passing.  Same with eating to satisfy hunger.  The procrastination list I have made those baby steps, and have to keep on doing so.  It really does help with the other things.

One thing I have done this week, that was not on the list:  listened to the body's need for naps!  

Pep talk for the weekend:

Keep up the good work.  If you have a nagging thought that you CAN do better, do better.  But don't forget to give yourself credit for the baby steps.

  • Hydrate
  • Nutrition
  • Activity
  • Rest
  • Meaningful progress on the to-do's
Life is good.  Let's keep Sparking!


18 comments:

  1. Daffodils are such a pretty, cheerful flower. Ours have come and gone already. Currently we have a plethora of Amaryllis blooms happening that make the back patio a very colorful spot.

    Sister time is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning the whole neighborhood seems to be full of daffodils, lighting up the yards while the sky is cloudy and gray overhead.

      Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. Hi Barb...Nice job with the baby steps and the to-do list!! Way to get things done!
    The daffodils are so pretty...sure signs of Spring....After living in OH for decades, I have found the FL yard work easier as it is year round. In OH, the yard looked simply horrendous at the beginning of Spring...so much work! In FL, it is daily maintenance so just a bit to do! I love how you took a nap when you needed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a yardwork person, so I have to keep after myself to keep after it. And at "my age" I have to pace myself so I don't wear out the back with poor form!

      Delete
  3. Midwest yard work in the spring is a battle royal with Mother Nature. It's been cool weather and rain/storms for the past few weeks, but the grass and weeds continue to grow, and if I can't get out there soon to mow, I think I'll have to have to have it baled. ;-) The tree pollen countdown here is off the charts.

    It's nice that your were able to have a catch-up visit with your sister. She must be super busy, too, as she hasn't posted for a while.

    Enjoy those naps. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's been super busy, for sure. Oh, I didn't mention the pollen counts... I've been taking Zyrtek (or a clone of it) for my allergies the past three days.

      Thank goodness we're only in "marginal" for severe weather this afternoon/evening!

      Delete
  4. Glad Spring is making a good change at your place. Beautiful pics. Have a pleasant Friday and a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about Spring. Tends to be motivational when there is more sunlight!

      Delete
  5. We had a great day here today. Finally spring.
    Do you have a battery operated line trimmer? It may be worth the investment to cut down your perennial forest. Swing through and then rake.
    That advice from the woman who gave up hedge trimmers and uses hand held clippers for 50 feet of hedge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking that for about five years, but haven't pulled the ripcord. Son tells me you can get trimmer, mower and I forget what the other one is that all use interchangable batteries so you can have one charging while the other is in use, and not have to wait for a charge when you're half done with the mowing. I really do need to go talk to the pros about it. Alicia got an electric mower last year.

      I have a corded electric line trimmer that I... never... use.

      Delete
  6. It finally feels like spring here. We've been hot, but not too hot. We have some wildfires going on here and the smoke is traveling down to us.

    Our flowers are starting wake up. We're going to get out this weekend and potting up some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your "fun with flowers" weekend. It's cloudy here Saturday morning but the forecast doesn't have too much of a chance for it to land as rain. And the winds are still high. I dragged the bins back into the garage this morning, as they had blown across the back yard.

      Delete
  7. Daffodils always make me smile especially when I see them growing in a lawn. Like you we have one of those big projects too, I like your words of pacing oneself. I figure it will all get done step by step. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great week, too. Learning to live life at the pace of our respective ages?

      Delete
  8. OH boy, major project w/the fence, but sounds like you’re prepared.

    I mask, as well. Don’t care what the mandate is or isn’t . . . just staying safe.

    OH boy. It takes awhile to adjust when partners retire! But . . . eventually you get into a routine.

    Wow! You did a great job on yard waste. Finally finished ours. Now . . . to overseed areas that died in the winter. And fertilize.

    Thanks for the pic of the daffodils. Ours aren't up yet, but they will be probably during the week or a little beyond. The weather is warming up.

    Have a good weekend.

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by to say hello. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...