Monday, April 18, 2022

Boston Marathon Monday

 The magic of technology

I am not physically there, but the magic of technology allows me a peek into the local CBS station coverage at the start line of the Boston Marathon.  Interestingly enough, 50 years ago, when the first women were official entrants as women at the Boston Marathon... I was a college freshman.  I lived through the whole women's liberation movement.  I advocated for the right to wear slacks in high school!  These women were breaking the athletic barriers.  

That was also the year that high school girl's basketball in Nebraska officially went varsity with a state tournament and all that went with it.  I was an advocate for that as well, the year after I graduated high school.  I dragged my kid sisters to those early years of state tournaments, because it was such a celebration to have that available to us, as females.  

We need to remember what it took to get us here!  Awareness leads to preservation and appreciation.

This year's field

Among the starters this morning is one of the women who ran that first year, 1972, running again at age 76, with two daughters and a cousin.  How awesome is that?  History and encouragement, community and family, all tied together.

Also in this year's field is Des Linden, the woman who won in 2018, "the year of the monsoon" (as referenced by a runner that year).  That's the jacket year I chose to save, from Kevin's possessions.  A fellow traveler local to Boston, who was my local guide all four trips, was with me that day, when we ventured out in the pouring rain and were at the corner nearest the finish line to watch Des cross the finish line and dance around with the American flag not just for joy but to stay warm!



I had his name and official time added, and wore the jacket myself for the NYC Abbott Dash to the finish 5K in 2019.






I'm chubbier, and slower than he was, but this was a wonderful way to celebrate my brother's life.  

So today, Marathon Monday, I shall be once again soaking it in, through local and national coverage, and perhaps from some YouTube streamers... as I did last October, when the date of the Marathon was pandemic-shifted.






In other news:

I did get the fourth shot.  I did switch up which MRNA vaccine for it, having got the first three as Pfizer, I got Moderna for this one.  I know, I know, we're all part of this huge experiment with the SARS-CoV2 virus, but you know, considering that having the shots, and having a mask, gave me the confidence to be back in church for Easter... hey, this is the route I have chosen... to follow advice as best I can.

Friday morning I was in a much smaller venue than when I got the first three shots.  The first two were solidly packed events at a Sports arena.  The third was at that same location, but far less crowded.  After that they started holding much smaller events, and this was one of those.

Did I have side effects?  Yes, some.  Very similar to what I had after the third shot... I did not immediately take Tylenol as I did after shot #3.  Had a little bit of restless sleeping overnight, woke with a temperature of 99.7, which for me is a low-grade fever, and took one Tylenol at that point.  A few chills over the course of Saturday, maybe a hint of headache, and the classic sore arm.  But I knew these would not last long, and after taking it easy Saturday, was free to go about my Easter celebrations on Sunday.

About time I did another pep talk, as I haven't in a few blogs:

You know you're worth taking care of, right?  You care about others, you care about what's going on in the world... but not taking care of yourself will not afford them any relief from whatever struggles they are having.  You owe it to the world to take care of yourself... so that you can then "do your bit" to help others.

So, remember to:

  • Hydrate, drink your water!
  • Balance your nutrition.  
  • Eat to satisfy true hunger, not to soothe emotions.
  • Get some activity... it's good for your mental as well as your physical health.
  • And that to-do list?  The one you've been procrastinating over?  How about making some baby-step progress on it.  You'll feel good, and the motivation you get from it will be awesome.
That's it from me today!  Life is good.  Spark on!




16 comments:

  1. I love that we can do that now, just find a way to stream and there we are whichever outlet they are using. In the past if your antenna couldn't tune it in, well, you didn't watch it and that was all. I think that is really great! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. And I feel lucky that navigating our way to those streaming locations has got easier over the years!

      Delete
  2. Life IS good!
    Thinking of some fun times at Boston ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 💖 One of my favorite photos is one you took, of me in the BAA 5K, where a spot of sunlight is on me, like a highlight among the other runners. When you're taking photos, a lot of times you don't know one is going to turn out like that, it's just luck that it happens in the second the shutter is open!

      Delete
  3. I miss reading your blogs. I need to make myself some kind of reminder to check in. I started back to church a couple weeks ago. It feels good. Enjoy your Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy for you. One of the years Kevin ran the Blessing of the Athletes was on Easter (at Old South Church on Boylston street). This year the timing of days of the week was the same, and that blessing was yesterday.

      Delete
  4. The now 76 year old who ran that first race continues to compete. She's a winner because she completes with herself. Inspiring!!

    Thank you for the Pep Talk.

    Enjoy the race. Enjoy the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Seniors who keep on keeping on come in some pretty awesome flavors, don't they?

      I found my mind meandering over the course, especially the last mile, as I have run that myself as part of the BAA 5K... I still get goosebumps watching the running go down Commonwealth, turn right on Hereford and left on Boyleston, straight on to the finish. It's a mantra!

      Delete
  5. Nice blog. Appreciate the pep talk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy with the Boston Marathon. Wow, I didn't know you were having a 4th booster shot. Great!
    Now, I feel I can't live without the Internet and a laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2nd booster. 4th shot overall.

      Funny thing about technology... what was an "experiment" or "luxury" can become a necessity in a hurry, can't it? I remember being an early user of "live streaming" when I discovered I could watch the Ironman triathlon as it happened, rather than weeks later, when the sports network with the rights edited it down.

      Delete
  7. I love the pep talk. We get our second booster next week. Even though places are doing away with masks, we'll still be wearing ours. My job is to make sure my mom and I are well protected and that's what I'm doing.

    It's so amazing how the internet allows us to watch things in "real" time in the comfort of our own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have been able to find ready access to the shots. Seems we have decided it's every man/woman for him/herself in terms of protection from Covid. You are doing a great service to your family.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing some of the history of women ‘breaking the glass ceiling’ in the Boston Marathon.

    Awwww, what a sweet reminder of Kevin’s to have his name and time on that special jacket. And may those memories bring you joy.

    Good for you for getting the 2nd booster. It helps

    HUGS
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...