Sunday, April 17, 2022

Let us sing...

of Easter Gladness!

It had been two years since I sat in the in-person pews at a church.  Maybe a little longer.  Maybe Christmas 2019?  But 2020 and 2021 Easter, nope.  2020 the church was online only.  2021 they were having some in-person services, but I wasn't ready.  But this year?  When I got the invitation to do our usual Easter service and brunch from my sister, I was ready.

This year, too, there was the added temptation of meeting her new gentleman friend. New in terms of "since the beginning of the pandemic".  They knew each other as acquaintances, but some time after he lost his wife in 2021, they started keeping company a bit more, as friends.   

The service had a huge emotional impact on me... the music alone!  Any of you familiar with Mozart's Allelujah?  I first was introduced to this piece via an old movie, 100 Men and a Girl, starring Deanna Durbin.  The movie was released in 1937, so those of you who don't know it, are forgiven as being young and not being married to an old black and white film buff.  Anyway, in the film, her character was trying to get Leopold Stokowski to conduct her father and his 100 unemployed musicians in an orchestra concert.  She sings the piece, interrupting his rehearsal, and as appropriate to an upbeat movie, brings down the house.

Anyway, it was the first I'd heard it, and in church today, a wonderful soloist sang it as the prelude.  Goosebumps, and pandemic pent-up emotions all hit at once.  Then we had the Pines of Rome for the processional (traditional at this church), and a wonderful service, as always at Easter.

When then-President Trump said we'd have packed churches on Easter, he didn't specify what year, did he?  I was in a section where most of us were masked.

After church we proceeded to brunch, also a sisterly tradition.  I was hoping that our classic breakfast/brunch restaurant survived the economic fallout, and in fact, they did.  Their menu has changed, slimmed down a bit, but my favorite spinach and mushroom omelet was still there

Oh, yes, I did say gentleman friend. He helps out with her yard, and squires her to various events.  I had seen his photo up on Facebook, but this was our first face to face meeting, and I have to say I am appropriately sisterly impressed.

He opens doors for ladies, including car doors.  He has a pleasant word for all.  He puts up with sisterly banter.  If he *needed* the approval of sisters (which of course, he doesn't), he has it.  

You can take from the fact that I'm posting it, that I was there behind the camera, but here are my sis and Jerry.

One thing that came to mind upon being asked was "how long have you been doing this?" (Meaning our Easter brunches.)  And we had to start counting... I think we started in 2002, so that makes it 20 years!  With a couple of skips for the pandemic.  

Anyway, that's it for my Easter Sunday... hope those of you celebrating Ramadan or Passover had similarly meaningful observances, and that others observing Easter have that resurrection feeling in your hearts!

Life is good.  Spark on!

8 comments:

  1. All those rituals that we had taken for granted are beginning to return.

    "the added temptation of meeting her new gentleman friend" confused my tunnel visioned brain until I saw the photo. The light comes on "ahh, a different sister".

    It sounds like you had a blessed Easter. May the blessings continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, when it comes to sisters, I have three to choose! This is my music teacher sister, a couple of years senior to me. The one you mostly know is ten years my junior! If you were on Spark at the right time, you might have known our youngest sister, who now resides in North Dakota, as well.

      The sister I walk with every week and the one in North Dakota celebrate Passover this time of year. This sister and I started celebrating Easter together as our kids were leaving home and we wanted at least some family connection. And of course, being close in age, we have a lot of those shared memories of Easters past.

      Hope your Easter was also blessed, and the blessings carry on!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad that you were able to attend church for the Easter holiday. It would be a bunch of emotions because it was something that was taken away from you. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful, thank you. Feeling those emotions well up was a release. May the blessings of the holiday linger for you and yours!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like normal and a 'new normal' to me!
    Nice to know there are gentlemen still out there! They seem companionable.
    I hope the other ladies are enjoying some Passover time with family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "New normal" felt like a super-charged Easter... three times the emotion, if you get the idea. And yes, it is nice to have gentlemen in our older lady lives! I think it's nice for both of them!

      The coincidence of Easter, Passover, Ramadan and a couple of Eastern holidays is unusual, and I wonder how they all managed what is usually a "I'll work your holiday if you work mine" arrangement. I know one kid sis (the one who works in health care) was usually working Christmas and Easter shifts so her Christian co-workers could have time off... don't know what she did this year (yet).

      Delete
  4. Yes, we enjoyed our Easter Mass as well, most were masked, a few were not but everyone gave everyone their space so all was good. Great catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "giving everyone space"... normally on Easter, pre-pandemic, the minister would encourage everyone to "scrunch up" so more would fit. He did not do that, this year.

      I'm sure your service was as joyful as ours... the reunion after the "storm front" has passed, before the next one blows in.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...