Saturday, April 30, 2022

Seussical the Musical and other trivia

A competing "show" up the road, a political rally got postponed due to the weather, but this one was inside an auditorium.  Before and after we chatted about shows we had been to in the past, before the pandemic shut us down, for caution.  

In the lobby we were unmasked and feeling free, but when I saw a few members of the crowd, including some children start to put on theirs, I opted to put mine on when seated.  It's kind of a social compact around here, we look to see if others are masking, and if they are, we put them on for social support as much as for health reasons.  Kind of like the farmer who put on his overalls when the homeless guest they invited to church had only overalls to wear.

Kindness to others.  Not judgement.  Acceptance.  These are social values, not political ones.  We are feeling our way to the "new normal" in terms of that social behavior, aren't we?  We want to be free and maskless... but we don't want our fellow humans to feel left out, either.  I have been maskless at the personal trainer, but I have yet to drop the mask at the grocery store.

The other half of the masked bandits, before curtain up!  I was the thorn amid the roses, "the kids" on one side, so I could sit next to my son on one side, and my fellow mom of one of "the kids" on the other.  We moms did most of the pre-show talking.

None of us had ever seen a production of Suessical the Musical before, so it was a new experience.  Most everybody is familiar with the children's books that Dr. Seuss published.  And this of course was based on them.  The major theme is the story of Horton Hears a Who,  mixed together with Horton Hatches an Egg, and even a bit of How the Grinch Stole Christmas and just a bit of Green Eggs and Ham.  

Other Seuss originated characters were present in narrator and chorus roles.  It was delightful.  The young man who sang the part of Horton had a wonderful voice.  And the gal who had the part of the Cat in the Hat was a wonderful dancer, as were the chorus.  The finale featured a tap number, which was a lovely surprise to us.

By the time we left, the rain had been through, leaving the streets wet and everything smelling that ozone fresh of Springtime.  We walked to our respective vehicles, exchanged hugs and went home.  We'll see one another again in about a week, for Mother's Day at "the kids" place.  

Meanwhile, I have tomorrow's local marathon to think about, and hopefully hike over to be a spectator at the far turnaround point.  I have someone to track, as my dentist's husband is going to run the full marathon, attempting to get himself a Boston Qualifying time.  That's one of the topics we always return to when I get my teeth cleaned and checked... she's not a runner, but she's entrusted with the care and feeding of one.  I promised her Boston recommendations should he qualify.

I'll close on this drippy Saturday with the usual pep talk:  it's a great day to take good care of yourself, of your health, mental, physical, and spiritual, and all the advice we used to get on Spark is in support of that!  

  • Hydrate today.
  • Get some activity in, outdoors if possible.
  • Do something that fills your soul.  Be kind to one another.
  • Remember to breathe.
  • And at the end of the day, let it all go.  Whatever steps you took, are enough for the moment.  You deserve that well-earned restful sleep.
Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥💖


16 comments:

  1. That musical sound like a guaranteed good time.

    I will be without my computer access starting tomorrow morning for 5-7 days but will check your blogs upon my return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a wonderful time "AFK" (away from keyboard). And thanks for reading my "wee review" of my night on the town.

      Delete
  2. A glowing review of what must have been a memorable time together. Putting on a mask was a great kindness: respecting the health and comfort of others. The Golden Rule in action.

    Good luck to the husband and his attempt to qualify for Boston.

    High winds and rain here. The weather goes from one extreme to another. *sigh* Even with the rain, the green dust continue to cover everything. It makes a person tired and crabby.

    Have a pleasant evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather is continuing to be a roller coaster here. It was good running weather this morning (Sunday) for our local marathon. I got my workout as a spectator.

      Delete
  3. Woohoo! So glad you went to the show with great company and fully enjoyed it. Have fun tomorrow and happy May 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a play that I need to see. I love Dr. Seuss, probably my favorite when growing up.

    Fingers crossed for your hubby and hope her qualifies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he qualified, but he finished 26.2 miles in 3 hours and 8 minutes. Whether he qualified or not depends on his age.

      I'm willing to bet there are any number of musicals that you and your mom would enjoy.

      Delete
  5. Would love to see that production, perhaps we shall have it this way one day. I, too am a huge fan of Dr. Seuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a college theater arts production. High schools sometimes do great shows, too, and they really appreciate the audience!

      Delete
  6. I love musicals…haven’t been to one since pre-Covid….so glad that you thoroughly enjoyed it! Trying to follow your wonderful advice…I am sitting outside on this glorious FL morn, filling my soul with the beauty of nature! Have a wonderful Sunday supporting the runners at your local marathon. Happy May! ❤️ Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast... I left the house at 7:30 a.m. when the runners were already half an hour out on the course, and came home after I'd cheered my dentist's husband on the way to the turnaround (at mile 19.5) and on his way back. Got home about 10:30 a.m., as some of my running days buddies were done with the half marathon. Had I been on course and at my "old" pace I would have been home by now. I can dream, still!

      Happy May Day, and the whole month of happy!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun evening!
    Be the leader and be the first to put on your mask. I'm thinking we are about due for another round although we've ammunition now to keep us safe if we get ill. I still wear mine in any closed venue if I'm staying in for more than 15 minutes. A run in for milk or small pickup no longer qualifies.
    I'm arranging to get the 2nd booster mid May as we will be attending a real wedding and reception!
    In the meantime, I'm back outside haunting graves in cemeteries...I mean taking pictures of headstones 😉
    It may sound odd but I get good walks and lots of movement bending to remove errant grass or kneeling to remove built up soil from toppled stones. Fresh air, lots of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am, lots of fresh air. I'm enjoying it while the counts are still low, but turning the corner to rise again. I can totally understand good walks documenting graves. I got 5.1 miles in as a spectator this morning. 😉

      Delete
  8. I’m still masking everywhere. Some days I’m the only one wearing one at the gym; I’m not ready to gather unmasked, yet 😷
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With counts creeping up here (up from 18 a week to 28 a week cases) I may be joining you soon, putting the mask back on. But I was still bare-faced at the trainer's this week.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...