Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Miscellaneous

The "old new" laptop is about four years old.  The "old old" laptop died suddenly during my first year of retirement, you see.  Suddenly it dawns on me that come December, I will have been retired five years.  Yikes!  Where did those five years go?

Sunday, the replacement laptop arrived, thanks to Prime day deals.  Just in time, it would seem.  The old laptop formerly known as "new" is the one the cat knocked on the floor, that lost its "4" keycap, and has been a little fritzy at times.  Sunday evening it decided to freeze up on me.  I had been fantasizing about having two, and putting them in different rooms, so that I could just leave them in place and log in wherever I happened to be.  It's still a backup plan.

The new new machine is a Windows 11 operating system.  There are some differences, but it's enough like Windows 10 that I can deal.  Interesting feature of Windows 10 and 11 is that my automatic "new login" alerts from Google that come to two e-mails AND my phone... identify BOTH of them as Windows NT devices.  When did Windows NT become so old timey in my brain?

In any case, setting up a new machine isn't what it used to be.  Anybody else this old?  You booted up the machine, loaded the operating system with multiple 3.5 inch floppy disks, then one at a time loaded your software packages, many also with multiple disks  It would take a few days to get the machine into usable shape.

Now?  If you are going from one Windows machine to another, you log in to Microsoft with your e-mail address and password and tell it you want the new machine to look like the old one, and it ghosts all the files, hooks you up to OneSource, and except if you WANT to change how you use it, and the little changes to the OS, you're in business in an hour, tops.

Monday's adventure was finding the drive-thru lane at my local pharmacy (inside my grocery store) blocked off by a cone.  I parked and went inside, masked.  The line was really long.  All of us who would normally have used that drive-thru to pick up our prescriptions had gone inside.  Oh, well.  All were in typically good spirits, waited patiently, and got our business taken care of.  There was a sign that they were low on the Pfizer Covid boosters, so no walk-ins for those, but flu shots were still available without an appointment.  

The kids are bird-sitting, keeping Ollie while DIL to be's parents are busily road-tripping.  Here's Ollie, perched on Lacey's shoulder.  This family the mythical son is marrying into is quite mobile.

Lacey says Carl is grumpy, as he's not allowed out in the main part of the house when the birdies are on the loose.  The two Cockatiels are also hopping and flying about, as the birds are being encouraged to flock together.  It's an adjustment.

Overnight Monday to Tuesday, I woke at about 2 a.m. to doorbell ringing, insistently.  Spooked me.  I turned off the TV, which I had on when I fell asleep, and carefully crept downstairs.  Nobody pounding on the door, no more rings.  Crept back upstairs and peeked out the window... totally quiet street, just the glowing lights of Halloween decorations across the street.

I went back to my room, tucked back into bed, wondering what happened.  This morning, I'm thinking whatever TV show I had on had a scene involving doorbell ringing, and in my sleepy state I thought it was my real doorbell.  

Sound effects are so good these days. I've had this happen with commercials, where I think it was my phone signaling a message, or my doorbell. I often have the TV on for background noise and am not paying close attention to the plot.  So, yeah, I can miss that it's the TV doing this!  

Anyway, I went back to sleep, and when I got up Tuesday morning, checked the stoop for signs, the garage for if I'd left the door open (I had not), etc., as one does, when second-guessing.  No signs of any disturbance in the night.

I guess the question this leads to is:  What do you all think about the new authorization for "over the counter" hearing aids in the US, that you can control with your phone?  Anybody lining up for these?  Of course, even if I were to get these, and they helped a lot in the daytime, I would still be putting them on the bedside table while I slept.  So unless I stopped watching TV reruns to fall asleep to, I could have a similar experience.

Tuesday also brings the 23rd anniversary of my father's passing.  I'd been thinking about him a lot, as the October weather rolled in.  As I find old photos of him, I remember what a process it was, developing photographs.  This is a "selfie" from the early 1960's, that he took, oh, so carefully, to get the special effect of himself as twins.  I think he was inspired by Haley Mills in "The Parent Trap" which came out about that time.

Dad had a darkroom in the basement of our childhood home (pre-age 7), and then when we moved and he took a better job "in the city", he had one at his workplace.  This photo was taken in that darkroom.  I remember it well, as for a special treat, dad would sometimes take one of us with him, when he was doing work on a weekend.

Here's to the ongoing journey of life, which is goodSpark on!

🔥✨💖

10 comments:

  1. IMHO, 11 is more user friendly than 10. With identity theft, Google alert emails/texts are a plus. Two factor authentication is also set up on all my accounts as well.

    I have the same issue with tv sounds. At times, I'm awake and putzing around the house, when a sound will catch my attention. I'm always glad there's no one to see me try to answer the phone or the door that's in someone else's reality.

    Your dad must have been quite proud of his photography skills.

    I'm trying my hand at making/baking ciabatta rolls today. Not a difficult process, just time consuming, as the dough has to rise and be stretched 4 times, cut into roll and then allowed to rise again. I hope success will be my gratitude for today.

    Have a sparkling day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with my Google connectivity and alerts, too. That two-factor authentication is a blessing, although I am certain the cyber thieves are working on ways to undermine every security trick the white hats come up with!

      Good luck with the rolls. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your success!

      Delete
  2. Well, glad that your new computer arrived! Good luck. Haven’t tried the Windows 11 operating system yet, but . . . .I know I’ll have to bite the bullet eventually.

    That’s such a cute picture of your soon-to=be DIL with Ollie! Precious bird!

    Well, I think it’s a good option for those who cannot afford to be professionally evaluated. For myself, I am lucky, because I have a wonderful audiologist. I think it all depends on what your need for a hearing aide is. I have profound hearing loss so I have to have a model that is helpful w/that (and I do . . Phonak).

    I think another thing that I find necessary is to know the WHY behind the hearing loss. Is it sensory, is it neurological or a combination? In my case I have a mix, so that narrows down the models/ypes of hearing aides ha would help.

    And personally, I needed guidance to find out what type would be best for me . . . . over the ear or in the ear. For my hearing issues, over the ear hearing aides are the best.

    And finally, buying OTC hearing aides, you need to be sure that the fit will be comfortable, especially if you chose an in the ear style.

    So, it will fit the bill for some and you have to just be sure that it’s right for you.

    Awwww, my condolences on the anniversary of your Dad’s passing. What a clever picture of him! Those special memories! ((((HUGS)))

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my older sister would agree with you about special needs in hearing helpers. She is a musician and was a music teacher by profession, so her devices had to be specially "tuned" to allow for the fact that she used electronic tuners to adjust the musical instruments of her students. At first, by default, those hearing aids are default set to tune out "pure" tones, so the pure A 440 caused feedback!

      She has a fine audiologist to assist whenever problems arise.

      I had my hearing tested in 2020 and they said I had some mild hearing loss but it wasn't interfering with my quality of life (yet), so it was my call whether to try them out or not. They said "check again in 3 years". Well, those three years are going to be up next Summer, so I'm starting to contemplate. I'm generally pretty good with the techy stuff, and it's such a cost savings, it's a consideration. Especially as I'm also looking at that cataract surgery. Never a dull moment, huh?

      Hugs & have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Things can be crazy when you have a computer that isn't work right for you. Oh yes! It could take hours to load a new computer back in the day. I'm glad you have a new one that works well for you.

    Oh my that had to be a little scary trying to figure out if the doorbell rang. Sometimes when its on the T.V. Scooter runs to the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cats will sometimes react to the TV, too (they went nuts over a YouTube of birdsong)... Carl definitely responds to doorbells on the TV or in real life.

      Delete
  4. My computer that I blog on is a 2013 (the year I retired) and still has Windows 7 and is still plugging away. I am keeping my fingers crossed about that as I like it a lot for things I need a bigger window to see. I, too have checked my phone when it is ringing on a tv show too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the philosophy I generally use with replacing ANYTHING... use it until it completely breaks. I've had repairs done, including replacement of a motherboard before buying a new machine. One year I lived on a tablet for months while the laptop was shipped off for repairs, and because of how hard it was to blog on the tablet, I fired up an old machine with cathode-ray tube display with the initial Win NT on it. By that time, of course it was slow as molasses, but got the job done until the fix was done.

      This morning, I'm on the old new laptop, so I do have my two machine thing going. For now.

      Delete
  5. My, oh, my! You have me thinking so many things! I love Dad's twin picture!
    My laptop is giving me some fits but I believe I can have the screen replaced and it'll be ok for a while longer.

    I still have my very first computer; well second, as we had the Tandy one that ran on tapes(Face Builder for the kids). Custom built, 64 RAM with a hard dive in megabytes measuring maybe 128? Still have 5.25's of Commander Keen, Windows 3.0. I'd write my own programs in DOS. It still runs. Dot matrix printer is so-so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even count how many computers I have purchased over the years. There was a time period when I bought none, because... well, budget too tight. But keeping a kid with a serious gaming attachment in machines... we even built one, son and I, putting all the parts together that he ordered online.

      If you count my old Apple II, not IIe, not plus, and definitely pre-Mac... without so much as a hard drive, and upgraded to 48K of memory... I don't still have my first computer. It stayed in the attic when I moved back to Nebraska.

      That was the first machine my son was introduced to, as a pre-schooler. It had 5 1/4 inch floppy drive. And after buying my old office PC from my employer when they upgraded the machines at work... never looked back at the Apple brand.

      Memory lane! I also wrote Basic programs in DOS for that old Apple. Never had a dot matrix printer, but I bought a thermal printer for that Apple. That machine and what I did with it helped me land my job with IBM.

      I know you can appreciate the twin photo! There's a hot debate going on among the photographers and the rememberers about "how he did this", over on Facebook. Selfies before mobile phone cameras, and photoshop before it became a computer program.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...