Sunday, April 16, 2023

April showers? Please, even it out, Mother Nature!

 

The clouds looks fluffy and playful in the afternoon, but started rumbling later as the front is rolling through.  We are dry in our state, for sure, and even though it's only mid-April, we have had several wildfires, sparked by "dry lightning".  My sense is that normally this happens in July and August.  April is supposed to be storing up rainfall!

A triathlete acquaintance who leads hunting parties posted a Facebook live from near one of the fires.  Prayers for everyone in the path.  So far, the firefighters are doing a good job of containing them, but thousands of acres of land have been burned.

If we're lucky, we'll get some rain out of this front.  Cross your fingers for us.  

Here's hoping that next week it will look better.

Saturday morning:  yes, it did rain overnight.  I heard the rumbles overhead in the night.  It doesn't look drenched or flooded, but there were a few puddles in the grocery parking lot when I went to get a few things.

The temperature has plummeted after having been in the 80's for three days running.  Just in time for the weekend.

Saturday evening was our "faux rehearsal dinner".  The groom and the best man were off on a mini-bachelor party, crawling the downtown bars, including the ax-throwing place (which we all fervently hoped from the dinner they were doing first, before drinking any alcohol).  Plans were in place so that neither would drive "home".  

Meanwhile, at the restaurant, the bride, the man of honor, the parents and an aunt and uncle of the bride joined the mother of the groom (me) for a festive evening meal.  It was crowded and loud (see what happens when you reserve on Saturday evening?)  I had my first margarita (a virgin lime one) and enjoyed the complexity of salt versus the tart of the lime.  Excellent fancy drink for a non-drinker... I will tuck this one into the back of my mind.

The main triangle of conversation for me included the man of honor and the bride.  The acoustics made for smaller group talking.

The man of honor (who is a hoot, by the way) had quesadillas;
the bride had street tacos;

and I enjoyed about a third of what's on this plate, chicken enchiladas mole.  

We lingered for quite a while, and the leftover boxes came out!  

Everybody made it home safe.  I will call it a win.

Monday will be the Boston Marathon day, and plans are being made to track and follow as needed.  This is kind of my personal memorial day for my brother.  I prefer this time of celebration to remember him and his achievements, rather than the anniversary of his passing.  My dentist's husband will be running this year and their entire family is in Boston for the week.  I'm thinking warm thoughts for all the runners, their families, and the home town folks there.

Life is good.

Spark on!

14 comments:

  1. The sky is a gray blanket and we’re getting rain here. BUT it is needed. So, won’t complain . . . at least not much.

    Temperatures way down from the 80’s they’ve been for the last 7 days. Right now 53 and feels cooler w/the dampness. Not supposed to warm up much this coming week. So, I guess Mother Nature was just giving us a preview of the summer to come.

    Sounds like the faux rehearsal dinner was fun! Good for you trying a virgin margarita. Back in the day, I loved margaritas, but they do not love me anymore. That virgin version sounds good!

    Good luck to the runners in Boston! HUGS on the memories of your dear brother.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your weather sounds like our yesterday! Today we have a partly-cloudy blue sky / white clouds configuration. But similarly cooler weather.

      Watching wedding day weather predictions carefully, and so far, it's looking coolish, but not rainy. But it's still six days away (Friday).

      Delete
  2. Hoping that you get much needed rain…way too early for fires! Tampa area is very dry…no rain…but south FL, as you know, had a 1,000 year flood! Anymore, the weather is extreme!!
    Your Mexican dinner looks delish …. Hope DS enjoyed his bachelor outing! Glad you enjoyed your virgin margarita; I ordered a virgin colada on our last cruise and it came with a deliciously edible sugary straw! Wishing for a safe Boston marathon for all involved!
    Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for a 40% change of rain on Wednesday or Thursday. And for dry on Friday and Saturday! That of course would be good for the social plans.

      Ooh, a virgin colada sounds like a good one to try, also. A bit sweeter, maybe? One thing I liked about the margarita was that the salty aspect of it slowed down consumption!

      As always, I was thinking of areas that are flooded when wanting things evened out here for those of us in drought. Wouldn't it be nice if we could average things?

      Delete
  3. We had a rain/snow mix, but now it's gone. Yep, it's already wildfire season for us. I believe we've had about five fires so far in the past two weeks. I think we no longer have a wildfire season and it just happens all year now.

    It sounds like a wonderful dinner and it looks good too.

    Enjoy watching the marathon and thinking of your brother and the memories. (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love going places where the food is art, and this place was one of those. I had not been there before (pandemic, folks), but this won't be the last time. I enjoyed leftovers on Sunday.

      And this morning I'm up with the Boston coverage on my streaming services. I don't have anybody in my tracker this year, which is unusual. I might just have to pick some random runner to follow!

      Delete
  4. Last night, it was high winds, lots of thunder and lightening, but very little rain. Much colder this morning. Morning temps in the mic 30s with lower wind chills. The furnace switched back to on and it has run several time throughout the day. Of course, I put all my winter clothes away on Thursday. Oh well...

    The rehersal gathering looks like good food and good fellowship. We always told our kids that they didn't have to marry someone that we liked, but it sure would make life easier. I think they took that one to heart.

    Cherish the memories from all the past marathons and take comfort from watching friends run tomorrow as new memories are made.

    Have a sparkling week. 🎇🎇

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thanks to amazing variety of streaming services I am able to watch the elites run live (ESPN, had to up my subscription to get it this year), and the human interest stories on the local CBS Boston station which is available free.

      Hope you stay warm and dry as the reprise of "not quite Spring yet" weather hits this week.

      Delete
  5. The virgin margarita sounded really good, I am going to tuck that into my memory too. I rarely drink at all. We got rain yesterday but more on the way too. Looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealous of your rain, but in theory we might get some tomorrow and Wednesday. Wish us luck.

      Delete
  6. Lots of remembrance smiles here for Boston!
    You partied hardy, there. The thought of the food bounty and your several days of leftovers has me thinking Tex-Mex for dinner.

    This will be a fun week for your family. Lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You took one of my favorite Boston photos of me, crossing under the finish line arch (in the 5K), that captured a ray of sunshine on me. That one kept me going for a few years more!

      Hugs back!

      Delete
  7. So the countdown is now in progress for the big day. Enjoy.
    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...