Friday, April 28, 2023

Day 6: update on Carl's boo-boo

By fortunate chance, Carl's "Grandpa Bob" (his mommy's dad) had the camera out at the dog run on Thursday.  Here you see several of the dogs that were there yesterday afternoon.  You can see my pink shoes in the distance, where I have gone to do my diligent "poo" duty for Carl.  Carl is in the foreground.

You can see that his coat is covered in dirt, showing that this was shortly after the time of the injury, as he came to the park clean, and the "scrum" is what got him dirty.

As I mentioned in reply to some of the comments on the previous blog, I'm over my own little vent about the incident by now.  Without someone who was paying extremely close attention at the time (and I already admitted I was busily picking up poo), we may never know exactly the source of the injury.  Knowing that Carl is getting excellent care and will be fine helps me to have a generous spirit about the whole thing.  Things happen.

I daubed the wound with 3 Way Ointment again Friday morning, and then observed what Carl did. He didn't like having the foreign substance there and scraped it off with his foreleg.  Then he licked the leg.  This reminded me of what he was doing when he came to bed about midnight... lots of licking, then tilting his throat as though he was about to howl... and swallowing.  So, he was eating the ointment!

I also noticed that it was starting to swell.  I was very glad I made that vet appointment.  We set off in the chilly rain.  Carl was quite happy to walk up to the vet's office and in the door.  He wasn't very happy to be waiting his turn.  It took about half an hour beyond his appointment time before the doctor was done with the previous patient.  I hugged Carl close so that the doctor could get a good look.  Carl really did not like anybody messing with his head.

The vet's verdict:  It was abscessed and needed stitches to heal from the inside out.  They would keep him, put him under for the minor surgery, and call me to come get him early Friday evening.  I signed all the permissions for them to treat Carl. Owner or Agent it said on the line for permission... I signed and noted I was "mother of owner".

I held Carl and comforted him while the anti-anxiety shot started to take effect, I gave up his leash to a lovely young vet tech who took him back to await his procedure.  I then was free to come home and wait for the phone call.  I messaged all the affected parties with the news.

Then I had lunch and took a nap.  The phone call to pick him up came about 5 p.m.  We have a cone for 3 days.  It's heavy.  Tail is tucked.  He was happy to see me until the cone got applied.


Poor baby in the car, with the cone.


Stitches that need protecting from that swiping paw.  


Body language on entry to the house.  Poor baby!

There are also three medications to administer every 12 hours until we run out, starting one Friday evening, the other two on Saturday morning.

I took the cone off long enough for him to eat and drink something (to go with the med that started Friday evening, but then he started to paw at his snout, so, cone is back on.

The honeymooners are in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, at a VRBO house.  It is gorgeous.  They put their feet in the natural hot springs.  Paddle board was put to use on the lake.  Their photos look relaxed and happy.  And yes, they know what Grandma is doing with Carl and his boo-boo.

Life is... interesting... but beats the alternative, always.  Spark on!


 

19 comments:

  1. Poor Carl. Little did I know that my cartoon post for today would be so appropriate for him. It's my guess that you don't have to guide him to a hydrant. Here's hoping that he heals quickly.
    Quite an adventure. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good laugh to go with an "anxious" kind of situation! We're now working on training periods of "cone breaks". He can keep it off as long as he doesn't mess with his snout. If he does, cone goes back on. He was able to sleep without messing with it until 2:30 a.m., then grandma slid it back on until time to get up. One step at a time!

      Delete
  2. So glad that Carl is on the mend. I hope he gets through it soon.

    Ah the hot springs sounds relaxing. Its nice that their having such a great time.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fun when the fur-friends have medical things to deal with, is it? We shall see how the antibiotics go down this morning! Everything is in pill form.

      Delete
  3. Keep that cone on! Dogs are sneaky. Looks like the vet did good work and the wound will heal nicely, in time. Love to you and Carl πŸ™πŸ»

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. If the cone's on, I hand feed him, because he can't reach his food or water! So the first time it came off was for that purpose. It's the weekend, and I don't want to have an emergency trip to the vet, so I'm being pretty cautious.

      Delete
  4. So pleased to hear that Carl is on the mend and that the newlyweds are enjoying their time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess this is one of those mental challenges to keep Grandma young... how to get the dog to swallow his pills, how to make sure he has "reduced activity", and giving him enough of a break (from the cone) to eat, but putting the cone back on after.

      Delete
  5. At first I thought, wow, that is a huge cone but then I also realized that Carl has very long legs too so it has to be a large cone too. Poor baby. You were so spot-on to get him to the vet right away. He will be all better soon. Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's hard for a bigger dog! He can't eat from his bowl with this on, so we take it off for that. He did pretty well this morning, until he didn't, so just now, it's back on. He's sulking on the couch.

      Delete
  6. We always call that 'the cone of shame', LOL. You should have signed the form as grandmom; I sign as Chewy's Nana. Lucky me he usually needs something looked upon when I have him.

    Granddog Winnie is a piece of work. She's about Carl's size, sleeker, and a hunter. She's dispatched two groundhogs, multiple rabbits and a snake or two. One groundhog tried it's best and caused multiple gross wounds in her face and mouth. That's one reason I know you'll do fine with Carl. Bites and claws create icky wounds and good for you getting him to the vet ASAP.

    Have the kids write a letter giving you permission for care to keep in Carl's chart at the vet's. That's what our vet wants.

    As for the cone, everyone else has commented what I would. Pills? For Chewy it's wrap it in cheese. Winnie like cheese and lunchmeat. Oscar would have eaten it with anything then be able to spit it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about icky wounds from bites or scratches. Charles actually had a nasty dog bite when we were down in Trenton and the neighbor put a really long chain on a fighting dog! I saw the patient before Carl leaving, and his situation looked much worse than Carl's. Again, so glad I took the first appointment available.

      Yes, Carl eats the cheese and spits out the pill. Lunch meat worked a little better. And I started putting my hand right up under his mouth so he can't spit it out without it slipping right back in. I got him to swallow 3 this morning... I'm counting this as a win.

      3 days to go with a pouting pup! He is going to be so happy to see his regular people. Son: "The cone of shame? Oh, gawd, I'll never be able to drop him off anywhere again!" By this he meant that Carl would resist being dropped off in future after this experience. We shall see.

      Delete
    2. I think he'll remember all the great lovin' he got!

      Delete
  7. Poor, poor Carl (and you!) what an ordeal…so now, on to helping him thru the recovery until his parents return from their honeymoon. I’m sure doggy medical care is consuming much of your time…he’s definitely in good hands with you!! Good luck to both of you. Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm incredibly grateful that Carl trusts me. No complaining when I put the cone on. Yeah, he spits out the pills if he can get away with it, but he doesn't bite the hand feeding it to him. And e lays with his head in my lap, doesn't pull or complain about being on the leash even in grandma's fenced back yard. I'm incredibly proud of how well-raised he is, 'cause face it, even a medium sized dog (76 pounds) can be a powerful danger if he doesn't trust you!

      Delete
  8. Poor, poor Carl! But now he's on the mend. You're taking good care of him.

    he'll be glad to see his Mom and Dad.

    Miss Lilly says she understands that he doesn't like that cone, she didn't either. But . . . it'll help that boo boo heal!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ’–Thanks, Miss Lilly. His mom and dad will be home in two more days (Monday evening) if all goes to plan.

      Delete
  9. Looks like Carl and me nephews’ pup had surgery on the same day!
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was unplanned, but needed. Guess it's like that sometimes! Hope nephew's pup is recovering well.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...