Saturday, January 13, 2024

Friday accumulation, Saturday deep freeze

Pretty drifts through my frozen shut storm door.

On the landing, the corner you can see from the door.  I took this one peeking out of my garage door.

Looking down the driveway from the garage entrance.


 

About a shovel blade deep at the top.  When you get midway down the drive it's about twice that deep in the drifts.


The test path to the mailbox, shoveled between 1 and 2 p.m., during a lull in the wind.  It fills back in fast.  I'm figuring this one will take me a couple of days to clear, in short sessions.  I came back inside to thaw my fingers after just that one blade width path.


The Prisoner was not impressed.  He has yet to put one paw outside.  Smart kitty!

Scarborough Fair stew has been modified over the course of the past week or so, with various additions made:  mushrooms, cauliflower, and today, ground beef.  It is no longer vegan.  I added the rest of the broth bomb partway through the week, too.


Saturday morning, January 13th, 2024

It was -1F when I got up, and it's getting colder as the day progresses.  I may not get out to clear off at all unless the wind lets up, and it's not predicted to.

As anticipated, my test path is totally refilled overnight by the wind.

Out the bay window, in the streetlights as it starts to get lighter, I could see that neighbors who made more progress yesterday also got a set-back.

This morning we have had light snow continuing, and wind blowing it around with strong gusts.

The Prisoner is no longer a happy camper.  I did open the sliding door a couple of times for him, but he wisely stayed in.  I had to clean the litter box, which when it's decent weather, I don't need to do.  At one point, Prisoner jumped into the recycle tub and started shredding newsprint.

Life is good, especially if you have a working furnace and your power stays on.  If not, may you have backup plans.

And regardless, never stop Sparking!


16 comments:

  1. Clearing has been given up as a lost cause. It's snowing and blowing outside again. No temperatures predicted for above freezing for the next week. I'm grateful for shelter during the storm. I'll be grateful when this is over and warm weather returns.

    If those papers in the recycle tub have weather reports, I agree with kitty's shredding choice. 🐱

    Stay safe in the storm. 🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, nope, no weather reports in those papers... mostly ads! But I agree with his choice to shred those, too!

      I have another blog brewing, praising the neighbors who came and helped me clear off. I was shoveling by hand when the young man was driving by. He rolled down the window and asked if I could use some help! "Who was neighbor to the man who fell among the thieves?" Christ asked his questioner. "Why, he who helped him." These people are living the spirit of community!

      I am feeling blessed.

      Delete
  2. You got the same treatment we did from this storm. And to say the least, Miss Lilly is as impressed w/it as the Prisoner! ME TOO! At least he found something to keep him occupied! Miss Lilly’s want was to play fetch and keep away, so I obliged. Have to keep her busy.

    That stew looks mighty good!

    Take care, stay warm and definitely . . . do the snow removal in sessions. That’s what we have to do.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come inside periodically to thaw, and you'll get it done eventually. Thank goodness I'm retired. But if you read my reply above, or in my next blog, you'll see I had helpful neighbors. Hope you're taking your own advice, and being safe and warm!

      Delete
  3. We haven't had much snow, but the cold is here. We're 3 right now and we're -9 this morning. The stew looks great perfect for this weather. Stay warm. Poor Prisoner just wants to go out and its so cold.

    Have a great weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prisoner got barely outside for just a couple of minutes on Saturday afternoon while the sun was making the snow look oh, so sparkly! But he was smart enough to come right back in, realizing the snow was deeper than his legs are long.

      (( Big hugs back!! ))

      Delete
  4. The picture from this morning looks so serene and soothing. I don't envy you for the extreme cold temps and work that comes along with the snow and hidden ice every winter!

    Artic blast in progress here now with freezing temps, drizzly rain and ice predicted to come along tomorrow about 6 p.m. Plants moved inside, bottled water and groceries and batteries in stock. City shuts down pretty much in these situations as the heavy equipment needed to deal with the snow not economically feasible to have on hand . Gravel trucks do sand/salt the overpasses that folks are advised to stay off of.

    Last serving of chicken vegetable soup for lunch today so time to fix another crockpot for days ahead. If our power goes out, we have a gas stove and can heat the soup on it. Our fireplace was converted from wood usage to gas and ceramic logs.

    Stay warm!

    PHOENIX1949




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have those gas or wood backups! I have a gas-starter fireplace, but I haven't used it for years, and don't have a woodpile stored... so I'd be in serious trouble if I lost power for longer than an hour or three, in this kind of weather!

      You're so right, down South where you live, it would not be cost effective to gear up for storms that only come along once every year or six!

      You stay warm and well, too!

      Delete
  5. BRRR! It's a good thing that you're a plan ahead sort of person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Trained by parents, eh? But I have to also say it's a good thing we have such great tools and people working the tools to give us advance warning of storms. Back in the 1800's, folks either learned to read the signs in the clouds and wind, or sometimes got caught by surprise!

      Delete
  6. Yup, I just stay put when it is like that. Tigger makes confetti with the edge of a box, she bites and then drops it out of her mouth. Keep cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me wonder if the shredding activity on the part of our cats isn't a stress response? Stay safe and warm!

      Delete
    2. Could be, although with Tigger it could be she is just being contrary as she looks at me while doing it - LOL. After all I am her servant.

      Delete
    3. LOL... cats have staff, and I, too, am a servant of mine.

      Delete
  7. Shredding paper sounds like fine thing to do during cabin fever 😂
    rofl 🤣 at the idea of the papers containing the weather reports 👍🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... I didn't poke my nose outside at all on Sunday, and so far on Monday, not today, either. No mail anticipated, so no need to, unless I was going to try to shovel.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...