Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Wednesday - the "heat wave"

 

Predicted to be the warmest day of the week, is Wednesday.  It was 12℉ when I headed out to my "Medicare Wellness Check" and blood draw this morning.  Heat wave, compared to the last four or five days.

I came home after and shortly headed out to the grocery store because I have not gone and was out of bread and bananas, and also down to my last two eggs.

Home again, home again, and looking at how far it is from the snow plough ridge to the mailbox, so after a brief indoor rest, I took my snow shovel to the snow plough ridge around the mailbox!

Phew!  Feeling justified in my efforts!

The Prisoner keeps thinking it looks like it should be warm outside, and parking his fanny by the sliding glass door.  I open it.  Sometimes he just turns up his nose.  A couple of times he ventured out, even getting as far as to the deck rail.  


Pawprints by the door.  That's my finger impinging on the photo, at the top, not the Prisoner's fanny, although that's about where he would plant it.  He's out again.  Now in again.  Now out again... ad nauseum!

Tomorrow (Thursday) our next snowfall chance is in the forecast.  76% chance, it says.  I know we've only had a week and a half of snow, but I'm tired of it, already!  Wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!

For those of you who remember that my front storm door had frozen shut last Friday?  I have tested it just about every day, and finally managed to kick it open today!  Yay!

Tomorrow we're back to more seasonal temperatures.  After a high in the negatives, I'll take 17 above!  Not such a fan of 6 and 4 above as highs for Friday and Saturday, but after that... it's saying 27 for Sunday, and ta-dah! 35 for Monday.  That would get us above freezing a day earlier than was predicted last week when we started this cold snap!

Here's hoping all is well in your various lives!  

Spark on!

10 comments:

  1. It's good that you were able to keep the appointment for the wellness check. I hope you get good reports.

    Gee! And I thought my mailbox was buried from the plow! Nothing like yours. Our temp at the moment is 39*. I've gotten several outside chores completed today. The biggest, and most important, was starting the car. You see, I have no garage. It's been sitting out in the brutal wind chills and cold for almost a week. It started right up. (That's why you take your auto in for regular oil changes and maintenance.) Then out to get the mail. Tomorrow will be a trip to Walmart for a couple of items.

    It's been a day of blessings! Maybe I'll post a blog of gratitude.
    Wishing you and kitty a pleasant evening of lap warming. 🐱
    🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lap-warming wishes! I hope your trip to Walmart goes smoothly on Thursday, and the items you need are available! Good job on keeping the car able to start.

      We were just discussing this in the family chat yesterday as my son's inlaws had a car that mysteriously wouldn't start... and just when they needed to take their little lineated parakeet to the emergency vet, too. So son and his wife helped them out... but I wondered whether we were the ONLY people who put a heated brick on the engine block to help a car start in the bitter cold? Hubby and I did this back when we were broke newlyweds... heated bricks in the oven and placed them on the battery to give it extra oomph!

      Stay warm in this "Springlike" thaw!

      Delete
  2. Yes, we had a warm up yesterday and today as well. I was able to get outside and do the snowblower to clear everything because I had to take out the trash cans.

    You got a lot of snow there. I'm glad that you were able to get out and get some things. Yep, the cold is going to stick around for a while.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the accumulation of three snows, mind you, and the piling up of what's been scooped. I've seen it a lot worse, in prior years! Tomorrow's allotment is predicted as "1 to 3" inches. We shall see!

      Have a great day, you and your mom both... and Scooter, of course! (( hugs ))

      Delete
  3. Good morning! Stopping here first (even before Wordle). I missed our visit/walk and used that time to get air in the tires and gas in the tank. Today I get to drive to a meeting for work - right during predicted snowing time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed and prayers for the driving. I'm determined to make it to my trainer workout on Thursday... which will be BEFORE the snow flies! ((( hugs )))

      Delete
  4. We had to use my hair dryer to thaw out the windows so we could open them. I need one opened a crack for sleeping most nights but couldn't as they were all frozen shut. Got the mug I ordered for hubby, it is perfect but I can't post it on my blog yet as hubby wants to give one to each of his brothers. You were right they are really, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the hairdryer wasn't powerful enough to get that door open last Sunday! I kind of gave up on it. I'm glad you like the mug, and hope it turns out well for hubby's brothers, too!

      Delete

  5. Yes! We hit the same benchmark yesterday. And it’s the highest for the next couple days here, too.

    Looking @ your mailbox – it is exactly what ours looked like and took FOREVER to clear so the post office could deliver mail. Got 3 days worth of mail yesterday! It was about 2 hrs. worth of effort (in sessions) to remove the snow mountain in front of the mailbox! And we have 50% chance of snow tonight into tomorrow. And then into next week slight chances except on Tuesday – 50% again. Yup . . . tired of it.

    Yes, the sun makes it look deceptively warmer than it is! Miss Lilly is definitely plagued by cabin fever as it has really been way too cold for her to be out. Will venture out for a short walk today as it’s above zero (not much, but I’ll take it).

    Stay warm and safe!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my "collection" of mail on Thursday, after my meager efforts at unburying the approach to the mailbox. Good to tackle such chores in sessions!

      I got to my trainer workout on Thursday morning, now home and waiting for the next predicted snow.

      Poor Miss Lilly... hope you get that walk in... safely, of course! And then get back in and stay warm and safe!

      Hugs,
      OKM Barb

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...