Friday, January 12, 2024

The calm between, and the second storm arrives

Wednesday, January 10th, 2024

It's getting close to tax time, and I wanted to get the estimated payments in the mail.  We have a Monday holiday coming up, and that messes with the schedule.

I had not completely cleared the driveway on Monday and Tuesday, but there was enough shrinkage for even little Dexter (my Honda Fit) to drive out over the plow "bump".  The residential streets are snow and ice covered, but everyone seems to be going slow, and getting there.  I only had a short drive to the mailbox.  I don't trust the footing for walking yet.

By the way, the weather dudes are saying we're going to get another Winter storm on Thursday evening overnight to Friday!

Fresh snow started falling between 4 and 5 p.m. Wednesday, just when my sister and I normally walk.  Fortunately, we had called it off for today!  So much for a mile outside every day in January!

Thursday January 11th, 2024

Woke early, checked the forecast and consulted with my recovering shoveling muscles.  I opted to wave off the trainer again, because I expect I will be shoveling again Friday.  If I tax the muscles with a workout day, it will not be pretty!

It did not snow on Thursday, and I worked up my courage in the afternoon to drive over to the grocery store to acquire things to last me for a week of hibernation, if needed.

It had not started snowing by bedtime.  The public schools had already called closure for Friday, due to the anticipated storm.

Friday January 12th, 2024

I woke up about 5:15 a.m. and turned on the local news.  Naturally they were talking about the snow and wind chill.  I put on slippers to move into the frigid office across the hall from my bedroom and peek out the window.  Sure enough, all white.

After I dressed and came downstairs, I discovered that the front storm door is frozen closed.  I have yet to try either the sliding glass door to the deck (which is nicely deeper snow covered... all the cat footprints filled in), or the garage door where I usually exit with the snow shovel.  

The Grinch style drifts are starting to form on the steps, and you can interpret the fogginess as my breath steaming up the storm door.  I tried my usual "kick at the bottom" to get the door to open, to get a better photo, and no dice.  I decided not to get so forceful as to break the door.  The weather is enough of an impediment, I don't need it coming inside!  Maybe later I'll apply some heat and try again, but for now, I'm fine just tucking up inside.

The high today is expect to be 8 degrees Fahrenheit, with wind gusts up to 45 miles an hour.  The snow is supposed to end here in town by noon or early afternoon.  But the temperatures and wind chills won't abate to above freezing high until Tuesday the 23rd, per the Weather Channel web site.  So... tucked in with my kitty for a while.  I will at some point have to think about clearing off.  

Tonight through next week would be a good time to open the under sink cabinet doors and have the hair dryer at the ready to make sure we don't have frozen water pipes to deal with.

Stay safe, stay warm.  Life is good, in all its variety.  Spark on!




12 comments:

  1. Nice picture of the Prisoner!
    Don't fret the lock-in. Consider it a forced rest day and make a different soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the soup is being converted today from vegan to beefy! I generally keep on adding things to the soup as the days go by. I added mushrooms one day, cauliflower another... today it was browned ground beef, and it's soooo good!

      Delete
  2. Ugh to that temperature forecast. But we’ll have more daylight, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. A few minutes more each day... if it can penetrate the clouds. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Yes, it is a mess out here right now. 8 in. of snow, and this storm doesn’t end til noon tomorrow. Don’t know how Mother Nature has it timed, but that’s what the meteorologists say. We’ll see.

    Shoveling . . . definitely a work out! Had just gotten the apron of the drive cleared and . . . . the plow went by. Started clearing it again, but the plow man came by . . . and cleared it for me! Color me grateful!

    All our schools are closed and many businesses. Wouldn’t venture out anyhow on these roads.

    We had a nice ridge in front of the garage door, but that was cleared with the shovel. At least we can get out that way if need be . . . but not now!

    Yes, we get all the way up to 14 on the 23rd. No bueno. Will look like Nanook of the North, but I’m not into freezing!

    HOPE Prisoner doesn’t have a yen to go outside in this weather!

    Stay warm, stay dry, keep those pipes unfrozen (leaving just a drip of water going in the faucets when this arctic air arrives).

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for schools here. Garage door and sliding glass to the deck work fine. I scooped a "test path" to the mailbox. Lighter and fluffier than the snow early in the week, but deeper. It's drifted to about two shovel blades depth halfway down the driveway. I had to take "two bites" to get to the concrete at that part. And of course it blew back over before I even turned around and came back up the driveway. Fingers ready for a thaw break!

      Prisoner made me open the sliding door about three or four times and then chose (wisely) not to venture out.

      Yes a drip is a good thing too, besides opening the cupboard doors.

      Isn't Winter fun? Most fun exchanging messages with my cousin in Florida who is roasting in 78 degree humidity! LOL... advantages and disadvantages everywhere!

      You stay safe and warm, too, and I'll quit complaining about waiting 'til the 23rd to get to 33, since you are stuck with a forecast 14. Of course, we both know, forecasts can change on a dime! Life's good.

      Hugs back!

      Delete
  4. 'Pensive Prisoner' taking it all in. Great photo, or is this a painting of a photo?

    Big freeze predicted for us in Central Texas in the next couple of days. We had howling, high winds most of the night. I heard limbs snapping and things blowing around. I'm grateful our fence remained intact and some precarious limbs in neighbors' yards were still attached.

    Keep warm.

    PHOENIX1949 (Susan)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a photo, taken January 2nd, 2024. He doesn't always hold a pose, but I got lucky that day.

      Oh, dear, sorry you've got the big freeze coming, too. Those howling winds and snapping limbs can really get to you when you're trying to sleep! Glad your fence stayed up. My cousin in Florida has lost another tree.

      Delete
  5. It's been quite a weather week, with more to arrive. We had a nice thaw/melt yesterday. Walmart was so busy it looked like Christmas. The lines were long, but people were strangely patient. At 3:30 this morning the temperature was 37*. It's gotten steadily colder all day. At 4:34 pm, it's 12* with a wind chill of negative 8*. Currently, we have a wind chill warning, high wind warning, and a weather advisory (it's snowing) all going on at the same time, going on into Wednesday. Sixty seven days until spring, but whose counting?! I plan to hibernate until then. Sigh. 🐻

    Stay safe. Stay warm. 🔥🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't we wish we really *could* hibernate until then? I do!

      I was a lazy bum and didn't go back out after my "test path". So now while the neighbors have their machines out, I'm hiding inside. Maybe tomorrow I'll get my rear in gear. Weatherman says maybe another inch overnight. Sigh.

      Delete
  6. Snowing here at the moment but the temperature is only at 0 so there is melting and freezing so there is a lot of ice under that snow. We are all set, can stay in as long as we wish which is great. I only had a 'had to go out' appointment on Thursday morning and now I am good until the weather is better. Love the snow, hate the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Saturday morning! It is snowing out there at the moment, but the bigger impact is all the wind shuffling around all the light weight dry flakes. The bit I had "tested" out yesterday was totally closed in by morning, as was the sidewalk my neighbors cleared!

      It's minus one, Fahrenheit here, and going to get colder. -1 F translates to -17 C, so no melting going on. I therefore deem it safe to not shovel until the wind quits.

      I'm with you, hate the ice... that was the earlier storm. This one is all snow. The wind *could* turn it to ice, though. So care is appropriate!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...