Monday, August 24, 2026

Grandma goes to the party

 

It was my foster grandson's 8th birthday.  We gathered at their house (just family) for gift-opening first, before going to the party venue.


Carl played host.  The Mythical Son, or Coach Dad as he is sometimes called, supervised the opening of presents.  It was like Christmas day, this birthday bash.



When asked what this one was, Coach Dad replied, "An ill-advised gift".  It is a nerf-grenade, and all those little yellow balls "explode" (i.e. fall out) when you toss it.  They demonstrated it.  A housekeeping nightmare!  I saw it and thought, "A model of a covid virus molecule?"  Whatever, the man who pronounced it ill-advised was the man who bought it, so, there's that.



We repaired to a placed called Knockerball where FGC's friends had been invited for the main event.  

The huge plastic balls allowed the kiddos and parents to play human bumper cars, essentially.

Before the kids (and a few of the adults) actually climbed into the big plastic bubble-wrap... the kids and dads (mostly) organized a brief game of soccer-ball, with a soft-squishy soccer sized ball that didn't hurt when you got hit by it.  The guy who runs the place put down cones for the bases and almost before I knew it, I was playing first base.  It was adults versus kids, and I fluffed the first two opportunities to get a kiddo "out".

Once we got the three outs, we were up "to bat"... yowza!  I was out at first, first time up.  Out at second, the next time, but my daughter in law made it safely to first when they threw me out.  The third inning, I made it all the way around, in appropriate stages:  safe at first, safe at second, and then ran on to score on the third adult kick.  I crossed the plate, cheered on by those who recognize I'm a grandma!  No, nobody took a picture, but it's the kiddo's birthday, no matter that the little, tiny bit of running made me feel like a winner!

Happy Birthday, Kiddo!  Life is good.  Keep on Sparking!

6 comments:

  1. Yeah that nerf thingie probably wouldn't stay together nor have many pieces left but it would be fun as that happened. I like the people bumper cars, I have seen that but not done it. Looks like a lot of fun without the bruises - LOL. Not like good old dodgeball - ROTFL. I had a teacher who didn't think much of me in physed because if you threw a ball at me I ducked. I always thought that was the smart thing to do, especially in baseball. Sounds like a super fun birthday and way to go grandma running those bases. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Speaking of dodgeball, they played about three rounds of that before we cut the cake, after the big knockerballs. I have a video of my daughter-in-law doing a full flip in her ball. I didn't get the video of my son, but his mother-in-law did, doing that same flip.

      The Foster grandson is very good at dodging! He's also good at throwing and catching. Can't tell I might have a little bit of prejudice here... Lol!

      Delete
  2. Your foster child grandson is blessed to have such a loving family, and that's why he is thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still clouds overhead for him, because as is often the case in fostering, things can be complicated. Way too complicated for an 8 year old to have to deal with. I am grateful for the stability that my son and his wife have been able to provide this child. I pray for some of the complications to clear up to make a path for permanent stability for him.

      Delete
    2. I hope the complications diminish and he can be adopted by you son and daughter-in-law if that is their goal.

      Delete
    3. That is indeed the hope. They want what is best for this young boy, and they believe adoption would be the best possible outcome.

      Delete

Grandma goes to the party

  It was my foster grandson's 8th birthday.  We gathered at their house (just family) for gift-opening first, before going to the party ...