Saturday, August 22, 2026

I am not political but...

 

I have always been impressed with candidates for office that knock on doors for themselves.  This young man (if I can call him that, he has three children and is a neurosurgeon) is running for Board of Regents of our University.  I saw him going down the street on Sunday while I was coming to the end of Ember's walk.  Later he knocked at my door, and I clipped Ember's leash on to answer.  

We chatted for a bit about education, and I did something I seldom do... I gave him permission to place a yard sign, and I took his picture with his five-year-old with the sign.

Ember, by the way, took me for over two miles on the leash Sunday.  No bunnies.  No eating of other animals' poo.  And no stray human food, either.  So I have to call that a good outing!

On Monday, Ember got a treat in the afternoon.  The mowers came early, on a non-daycare day!  So she got to go outside onto the deck, and outside onto the front porch, in order to see them do their thing.  She looked so happy!

Overnight Monday, we had another of those sleep-interrupting storms roll through.  Ember got me up with her barking, twice!  My watch declared I got under 4 hours of sleep, because I essentially gave up and got up, laid on the couch and maybe got a few more minutes.

Tuesday morning I did a little catch-up nap after taking Ember to her daycare.  I needed that!

I did a short strength training session Tuesday afternoon.  I haven't been back to the personal trainer since April, so these short sessions are my way of easing back in to something I know is good for me.  

Got good, solid sleep overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday!  Yay!  Wednesday morning dog-walk resulted in 3 encounters with "other animal's poo"... and she left them alone!  Hu-Mom was so happy!

The rest of the week got swallowed by the black hole of SparkPeople!  Seriously, the first class of "Healthy Weight" which promises a maintenance piece, is here.  It's lecture hall sized, he's allowing 200 members per class.  Which is a bit more than most of us have as social limits for close friends, for sure.  But there's an energy of working toward a common goal.

It's Saturday as I wrap up to post.  Ember and I have been out on a 2 mile walk already, with puddles on the ground from the rain that came through in the 4 a.m. hour.  

This felt good, because Friday morning's walk was a mom-frazzling one, while she stopped in the middle of the street to lap at something edible that had been discarded (or dropped by the garbage truck going by) and smashed by being run over by vehicles, but it still smelled good to Ember!  I was directing traffic in the street and apologizing to drivers who were face it, amazingly patient with us.  One guy rolled down his window to joke, "When you need a break, you need a break!"  Even the giant garbage truck waited for me to get her back to the sidewalk.  I do hope it made them smile and nobody was late to where they were going.  I mean, I prefer to "be a good human" and I tell Ember all the time that her job is to help mommy be a good human!

Life is good!  Spark on!

6 comments:

  1. In this political environment, when you find a candidate worthy of your vote, support them in any way you can. Good for you in allowing him to place a sign in your yard.
    Maureen from California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I retired, I'm a little bit more comfortable with having an opinion. My parents trained me well in remaining nonpartisan.

      Delete
  2. That is impressive of that candidate, so far we have absolutely no one that is worth any vote for the election in October and still having to pick the less evil of the bunch. Really sad. Storms are always hard on pets, I think Ember was probably asking if you were okay ;) Great to catch up and have a lovely Spark week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad about the lack of candidates who resonate with you. Awww... what a sweet motive to attribute to Ember. And it could even be true.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a talented young man . . . neurosurgeon, raising 3 children and running for the Board of Regents @ the University. I hope he gets the position.

    Ember had lots of energy! 2 miles. Awesme. AND behaved!

    Glad you got good sleep Tuesday into Wednesday. Takes a while to get over the deficit.

    You never know what smell is going to take over a fur babies limited sense and sensibilities! Glad that everyone was patient while you guided Ember back onto the sidewalk.

    HUGS and here’s to a good week ahead.

    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing about a dog... it brings out the best in your mom-heart... even when they do something that you don't approve, they are so easy to forgive, and when they give you that look that shows how happy and proud they are, you can't help smiling!

      Delete

Recovery weekend and beyond!

I did not sleep well last Saturday night.  I am not sure why.  But I got up in the 3:00 a.m. hour, then took a nice long nap between 11:00 a...