Saturday, September 4, 2021

Stop and breathe!

Grumpy and Contrary

I started this blog on Friday, and that's what I titled it before I got a single word on the page.  I was being assaulted by a feeling of grumpiness.  I'm not happy with the way the world is wagging, and I am tired of the tension.  Compassion fatigue is a thing.  News overload is a thing.  It got the better of me on Friday.  

I did take a walk Friday morning, no jogging intervals.  But it didn't shake the grumps, or perhaps the grumps came along after the walk.  I can't remember.  Bottom line, the grumps gave me serious blogger's block.  I didn't want to inflict that negativity on readers of my blog.

This morning, I observed the overcast sky, checked out the temperature and decided a jacket was in order.  I put on my brother's Boston Marathon celebration jacket from 2018, the one from the year of the monsoon, the one I kept.  Today it zipped without complaining, and that made me smile.  NSV, anyone?
Nothing says "suburbs" like plastic flamingos in a yard.

Those who know, even out here in the middle of the country, recognize a Boston Marathon jacket.  Only about a quarter of a mile into my walk, I was stopped by a fellow runner asking me if the Buffalo Run was this weekend.  It's not.  It's in two weeks.  All the race schedules are messed up this year, too.

We ended up stopping to chat for about ten minutes, interrupting my walk.  This runner was coming back from an injury, having qualified for Boston 2020 then being "leap-frogged" by other runners and modified aging up rules... so he's not qualified for the 2021 Boston Marathon this year, delayed to October as it has been.  So he's working on recovering from injury and hoping to train up for Boston 2022!  I wished him well, and he wished me well and he (and his two dogs) continued on their way, and I on mine, restarting my tracker.

That conversation and the continued walk seemed to chase the grumps away for now.  It didn't hurt to have heard from my kayaking friend arranging for us to go paddling on Labor Day morning.  Also didn't hurt to hear from son's GF, confirming that she remembers her commitment to bring her kayak out to the lake on the 12th so I can support the Last Blast Triathlon.

My kayaking friend is working the Husker Game down at Memorial Stadium today.  It makes me nervous, given the local numbers, to see a sell-out crowd in that stadium.  Masks are required in all indoor spaces at the stadium, and my friend has her mask with her.  At least 75% of the local population 45 and up are vaccinated.  But... but... ya know... cases are rising, hospitals are full, and there is a risk involved... a lot of folks travel to these games.  

My friend also plans on working the Husker home game the day before the triathlon, and she's volunteering to paddle a kayak that day, too.  We haven't yet talked about transport, but it would be the same 40 minute drive out to the lake that we took a couple weeks ago.  We'll do that negotiation Monday morning.

Best put the pep talk out here and call it good!

Let's all live best we can, this one and only Saturday, September 4, 2021 we'll ever get, right where each of us is.  Nourish your body, mind, and spirit, because you're worth it!  And Spark on!

✨πŸ’–πŸ‘

40 comments:

  1. I guess we all have those grumpy days. Sometimes I know why, sometimes it’s just the way it is! Glad you’re better today.

    That’s awesome that you could zip your brother’s special Boston celebration jacket! AWESOME NSV.

    Yup . . . going anywhere in a crowd is not on my agenda, and DEFINITELY wearing the mask when I must go out.

    Glad that you heard from the mythical son’s GF and your friend about kayaking. Nice.

    Wishing your friend working the Husker home game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And look out for the bar scene after the game, too. Alcohol and mask mandates don't always mix well. Hope my friend gets home safe and early!

      Delete
    2. Always enjoy hearing for you! Even about the grumps! Because we all have them on occasion. Sometimes it’s not until days later that I realize what the anxiety was all about. I’ve been checking in without posting much here and on MFP. We have been blessed with so many good days! Pep talk right back atcha!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, Tricia! Friday was my day for checking on posts of others without posting one of my own.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been grumpy this week, too. Mostly because the gym manager may cancel the 6am Cycle class, just as I was feeling like I was getting my “act” togetherπŸ˜” Overeating, not eating enough of the right stuff… Pity Party over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, pity party over... we don't control a lot of the stuff we feel sorry for ourselves over... best to concentrate on the things we can, eh?

      Delete
  3. My heart continues to break for those who have declined to get vaccinated while it's free and available. Yet so many in other countries.... Quite a few family members hav said no... Makes me sad. If only...we could be done or close to it. Glad you had a nice time out this am with the great memories of your brother's run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wrapped myself up in my brother's love in the form of his jacket. Talk about motivation to not regain too much!

      So sad for the mess of division in this country, and particularly sad that an issue of public health seems to have become part of it.

      Delete
  4. Great on the NSV!

    Been very grumpy and weepy past few days myself which I've called world weariness (generally a positive person not prone to depression). These are tough times on so many levels.

    Listening to uplifting music only today. NO NEWS broadcasts. NO PHONE calls being received but will read texts.

    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my prescription, too... turn OFF the news. Old movies OK. Music OK. News, not OK.

      Delete
  5. I’d say you are having some SVs, along with that NSV, judging from the chart in the Get Back to Goal challenge! 😁
    forms.gle/NYrS68bMKttaZcis7
    πŸ“‰πŸ‘πŸ‘

    It makes me happy, thinking of MOBYCARP’s spirit accompanying you in his race wear. ❤️

    I think a bunch of us are feeling some fatigue. It’s hard to come to grips with some of the far-reaching, long-term changes we’ve collectively experienced over the past couple of months and years.

    I’m just glad we’ve got a little community going, where we can continue sharing our joys and frustrations. πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, am very grateful for the "life-raft" community, in various spots. Not all the same Sparkers in every place, but enough to keep us going.πŸ’–

      Delete
  6. Glad to see your blog pop up. I was beginning to worry. And after reading the comments.... I think I need to do a jigsaw puzzle. So much I can’t control or change; at least I can get the little pieces of cardboard organized. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puzzles are good. I did a bunch of phone games yesterday while I had blogger's block. Games give a nice artificial sense of control!

      Delete
    2. I feel that way about knitting
      πŸ™‚ 🧢 ❤️

      Delete
    3. Oh, Anja... you know I don't do well with yarn... don't you? Frustrates the be-jesus outta me. So, no, don't have those feelings about knitting, or crocheting, or sewing... much as I admire those who can do these things, they made me cry as a child, and I have never got past that.

      As my coach says, though, "never say never".

      Delete
    4. One can change - I never thought knitting would work for me. Every time I tried it, I’d knit tighter...and Tighter...and TIGHTER...until the yarn would *squeak* and I’d shudder at that horrible sound and drop the thing. I had this one skein of yarn I kept untangling and trying to knit into *something* for TWENTY YEARS.

      Then something just clicked, and I started being able to do it, two years ago.

      So weird. LOL

      Delete
    5. So there is hope... if there is desire, that is. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  7. Sometimes we just have days like that and a walk often does the mind good to clear the fog. These days with the numbers going up instead of down is frustrating when you are doing your best to be safe and trying to keep others safe when others are so selfish and inconsiderate. We can only do what we believe is the right way and for the greater good I guess. Joan, hemtech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on... there are days. And then there are days. I sometimes think the numbers going up and down and our wishing them to be better is a little like our relationship with the scale, and a plateau. Only it's not a one-person behavior that we can change... it's a whole community behavior, and as with our individual "experiment of one" related to weight and fitness, this public health thing is a giant experiment, as well, trying to get a grip on how to behave to preserve the body public!

      There is always some parallel to draw.

      Delete
  8. I'm alllll caught up reading your fantastic blogs. Been busy sewing my brains out, walking and losing some recycled pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see your lovely icon, Sweetie... I've got used to you showing up every week or so and all at once. Glad to hear you've been productive with the sewing, and taking care of yourself with the walking. And woo-hoo for recycling those pounds!

      Delete
  9. Yes we all get grumpy sometimes :) For a short time in Australia the pink flamingos were used for celebrating birthdays and you could rent them for the day. He he.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flamingos, sheep, big signs... a lot of yard decoration kinds of celebrations started becoming a thing in recent years, and REALLY ramped up in 2020!

      Delete
  10. Phoenix1949 labeled it for me; world weariness.

    I currently have a warms Shih Tzu on my feet so am feeling better. Grand dog sitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, "happiness is a warm puppy"... still holds! Yep, world weariness. It is a sign of privilege that we have a choice to turn away from it, isn't it?

      Delete
  11. Wednesday was my day. I had a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. A comfort food throw back from childhood. Other than the sodium, it was a fairly healthy comfort food.

    Some days you're the statue. Some days you're the pigeon.

    Re comments: There is a puzzle in progress on our dining room table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your soup comment reminded me of this book I loved, when I was little πŸ™‚

      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pZij9mYyAaA

      Delete
    2. 😁 Jinx. I had chicken noodle soup at lunch, Saturday. Mrs. Grass's, in my case... a brand introduced by my husband, I grew up with Campbell's... btw, I ate it from my Campbell's big soup mug!

      Delete
    3. However did I miss that delightful children's book, Anja? A great Sunday morning discovery... all positive!

      Delete
  12. Nothing like a great walk to help get rid of the "grumpies". It's always been one of my favorite things to do when I need a break from things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I stuck with watching the Paralmipcs this week to off set all the crappy news. It really lifted my spirits. Gad to hear a walk really helped yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice! I just got back from jog intervals this morning, so endorphins are high at the moment.

      Delete
  14. Here's to NSVs and working through the grumpies... !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't get grumpy often, and am not a fan when I do. I limit my news watching, tending to read print news instead. Yesterday was my grumpy-weepy day; it would have been my older brother's sixty-eighth birthday. He died in 1972 and was fifteen months older than me. I notice that now my parents are gone, it weighs on my more. The grump-factor has carried over a bit to today, so I've prescribed a cozy mystery by a favorite author with a Christmas season setting. Should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tell me about being grumpy. I hate it but can't quite control it. I've always admire people whose way of being is always peaceful and pleasant. ((hugs)) A crowded place... enough to make me grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A crowded place! But activity does help, most of the time. This morning it was activity on water, socially distanced. There were a LOT of people at the lake... rushing to enjoy the last holiday weekend of the Summer.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...