Thursday, November 23, 2023

A Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Sunrise in cirrus cloud layers.  I love my neighbor's tree, to my east.  It frames many of my sky photos!
Same tree, from a different angle, to capture moonrise, the afternoon before the sunrise photo above.

Wednesday morning, I darted over to the grocery store.  I shopped masked for those few items I felt I needed "just in case" to make the house smell right on Thursday.  Even though I'll be on my own, Thanksgiving has its own aromas... you know the ones, the turkey roasting, the spices in the dressing, the pumpkin pies baking... there's more to food than the eating.

Our regional grocery chain is closing on Thanksgiving Day, so it was a throwback feeling to get those last few things the day before.  If it's not on hand tomorrow, that recipe might have to be altered!

Alicia made it over for sister walking.  We moved it an hour earlier, since it worked better for her holiday / work / homelife schedule this week.  I let her know that I was opting for a solo holiday, thanks for the invite, but I was looking forward to the quiet.

"The kids" and son's in-laws safely made it to their destination hotel in Kansas City for the family reunion Thanksgiving.  But I got the IM from my son that a delivery had been made to their house unexpectedly early.  "I hate to bother you with this..." it started.  I certainly understood his situation... he won't be home until Saturday, and to have a package on the porch that long?  I had just had that early delivery strike at my house, too.  My Winter coat wasn't supposed to get here until Friday, but it was placed on my porch Wednesday afternoon late!  An early delivery can be problematic if it conflicts with holiday travel plans!

I packed myself into Dexter (my little Honda Fit) and drove over to son and DIL's house.  I slipped the package off the porch and into the garage for them, then made my way home.  IM back to him to enjoy his holiday.  Mom is on the job, still needed and useful!

Even with that side trip, Fitbit tells me I was asleep at 8:09 p.m.  It should be no surprise that I woke up at 4:35 a.m. Thursday.  Good sleep!

By 7 I was ready to start chopping veggies and putting the turkey breast chops (turns out it was chops I bought) into the crock pot along with the celery and onion and spices.  Put on high to start.  

Since the kids are not having the traditional meal, DIL requested photos of the meal, so of course we had to do one before the cooking even started.  


Meanwhile my DIL posted video of her newest cousin crawling around the hotel, and grinning up at her photographer.  We all know who the real stars of any family gather will be!  At least if your family is anything like my own.  Babies!

Tradition is to have the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on the TV while getting the cooking done, and yes, I'm following that tradition, too.  And I had to re-wind the coverage to capture a screen shot just for my DIL.  (Remember, she's a huge Dino fan.)

I paused to sit and sip my latte, grateful that I did not have a table to lay out for a crowd.  



I layered on the mushrooms and cream of mushroom soup about 9. It would be ready by a noonish meal time.  All the aroma and flavors, without the hassle of a turkey carcass.

Then it was time to clean the work surfaces and make the pie.  I know my kid sis is having pecan this year (whether she knows it or not, this is a nod to our brother; he used to make a mean pecan pie).  As a kid, my favorite was not pumpkin, but vanilla custard.  I would request custard pie for my birthday.

But pumpkin pie is one of the essentials of Thanksgiving for me. 

When it comes to pie dough, I am a traditionalist.  I've tried the pre-made crusts, and sorry, if I want it to be right, I have to do it myself.  I learned in childhood.  I start at the beginning.  Simple flour, salt, shortening, and water.  My  well-used cookbook refers to it as "plain pastry".

It may not be pretty, but it's perfect in its own way.  


Add pumpkin, sugar, spices, eggs, and milk.  Mix the filling well, and pour it into that hand-rolled crust.


Into the 400℉ oven it goes for 50 minutes (no peeking).





 

Cool on a rack until after dinner.



It may not look like classic Thanksgiving turkey meal, but the spices made it taste that way.  Very good.


I cut the pie for peace.

 And topped it with Cool Whip. 

Another Thanksgiving tradition, a bracing walk in the chilly breeze.  It was mild on Wednesday, the cold front came through overnight.  I did not go far, but I was testing out the new Winter coat.  The coat performed fine (and it fits well).  The new gloves?  Meh.  I have issues with gloves.  This is nothing new.

Ahhhh!  Stress free holiday.  Hope you all enjoyed the same.

Life is good.  Spark on!



18 comments:

  1. And peace be unto you. ❤️ Ace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your Thanksgiving dinner was delicious. LOOKS delicious, as well. That pumpkin pie is mighty fine looking w/he cool whip! I love the pumpkin pie filling, not the crust so much. I do remember making a plain crust as you describe w/my grandma. But the crust just isn’t my thing.

    Glad you got a walk in. Me, too. Needed it.

    HUGS and blessings
    Barb
    1cd

    PS love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To top it all off, after I considered myself "done for the day", the kindly Uzbekistani neighbors noticed I hadn't gone anywhere or had visitors, and fixed me a plate from their table, complete with cake and a little piece of pie. I couldn't not take it, they are so kind! Not to mention she's an excellent cook. So I now have LOTS of leftovers. People are so kind, you know.

      Delete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Barb! I finished up my shopping on Tuesday. It's been a two days cooking fest for us. We're the same with having the parade on while we cook. Love watching the dog show after. Everything looks so good and I'm sure it was yummy!

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, as was the plate of feast shared by my neighbor. Friday morning my scale certainly let me know! I hope you enjoyed your cooking fest as much as I did mine!

      Have a wonderful Friday and weekend ahead! (( hugs ))

      Delete
  4. The sunrise is gorgeous. Red skies in the morning...
    Your dinner looks yummy!
    A solo day was the plan here, too. Made 2 dozen biscuits early yesterday (love the 4:30 arise time-get so much done) to have for turkey Ala king tomorrow. Roasted the Brussels sprouts. Roasted the turkey breast. Prep for today was completed. Yesterday about noon, I received a text from the DGD who lived with us for 13 years. She wanted to know if I'd pick her up and could she spend the weekend? The blessings and gratitude overflowed. An additional place setting was all the extra required for today's meal. The dishes were loaded in the dishwasher and kitchen tidied. Card games for the remainder of the day and into the evening. It has truly been a "Happy Thanksgiving!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your foods sound wonderful, Jeanne. So happy your granddaughter will be with you over the weekend! That image warms my heart!

      Delete
  5. Looking yummy, Happy Thanksgiving my friend. I actually saw my first Macy's day parade last year when a youtube walker filmed the full thing. I never thought I would see one, going to keep an eye and see if she has done this year too. I watch a lot of the tourist walker videos on Youtube, I figure if I can't get there (yet at least) this is the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those tourist walking videos they put up on YouTube, too. I watched the NYC marathon that way one year, and yes, they are the next best thing to "being there". Happy Thanksgiving, and happy weekend following, too!

      Delete
    2. Walking Alice put up the Macy's parade yesterday and it was great. I love watching it she is right up front so you see everything.

      Delete
  6. I am going to have to remember your "Peace" pie. My kids would like that new tradition.
    I made a lattice of bacon and blanketed a turkey breast. It smelled really good. It cooked covered until the last hour. Once the bird was done, I placed the lattice back in the oven to crisp. Mmmm. Makes great sandwiches on day two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession: I lifted the "peace pie" cut from a friend's Facebook post! Ooh... lovely turkey/bacon plan for leftover sandwiches!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you had a lovely day. And yay for the new coat working well against the cold. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I got to the gym and feeling vertigo got me to cut the workout short. My fave Chinese food place is always open, very untraditional for most, but hit the spot for me.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes wisdom is the better part, right? Good for you, exercising that wisdom!

      Untraditional doesn't matter... I think I mentioned, but not sure if I did in this blog or the comments, but I know my in-laws had hot dogs and spaghetti one year at Thanksgiving.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...