Monday, November 27, 2023

Sunday's project

 

Tree decorating for me is not a design project, it's a walk down memory lane.  With a smaller tree now, I did not put up every ornament in the box, but chose a few combinations that spoke to me.  I didn't take photos of them all, either, but here are a few.

This little angel's box says "Jo" on it.  Jo was my mother's name.  It's a birthstone angel, with a topaz, for November.


Does it feel like you are seeing double, with another topaz birthstone angel?  You are.  This angel's box is labeled with my name on it.  

My birthday and my mom's are within a week of one another.  She purchased these angels as Christmas gifts the year that she passed, and we found them when cleaning out.  My sisters each got one angel from their own birth months, I believe.  They gave me both my own and mom's, because of the coincidence of birthdays.

Larry Bird, my favorite historical basketball star is at his prime, in Celtics green.  I watched him in college.  Hidden by the branches a bit is Shaquille O'Neal in a Magic uniform, dunking.  We bought the two of them together one year, one for my favorite player, one for my son's favorite player.

Also in this shot, the Pinocchio that came from my business trip to Italy in the 1980's.  The green Triathlete ornament was from my work team the year I first completed an Olympic distance triathlon.

Toward the top of the shot is an antique icicle ornament that had belonged to my paternal grandmother.

Going backwards in time, at the top of the tree is a papier mΓ’chΓ© unicorn that my kid sister Alicia brought back from her ninth grade trip to Mexico.  Also featured is Woodstock, the very first ornament from my very first apartment.  A University of Nebraska Husker ornament is a more recent acquisition, I think it came from my son.









Another year I bought a couple of dog breed ornaments, a boxer and a Rottweiler.  The boxer was for an on-line friend's dog.  To Rottie was for a dog named Maxie who lived next door to us when my son was growing up.

Throughout some of these shots you can see the Mardi Gras beads, which I did NOT get at Mardi Gras, but at various running events, over the years that I participated in them.



Later in the day, more decor came out.  This includes my friend, Frosty the demented cookie jar.

I have to have a candle light display.  That is my ritual for the darker months of the year.  Either before sunrise, after sunset, or both, light the candles and savor the glow.

During the Christmas season, the angel choir of candle holders joins the array, along with the Christmas tree..

Life continues to be good.  Spark on!

15 comments:

  1. I really love that cookie jar! It all is for memories for me too. Our decorations have gotten less over the years and so what we do put out is very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplifying is good for us! Frosty was originally a re-gift, I believe, but he found a permanent home here.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and it's amazing how many of my most precious are held together with super glue.

      Delete
  2. A sentimental journey. Special memories of special times tugging at the heart's strings. πŸ€— πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Hope your memories come back gently as the holiday season progresses.

      Delete
  3. Sure enjoyed your blog. Likewise here for our decorations being a trip down Memory Lane. I hear you on the super glue extending the ornaments' longevity!

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One breaks, you cry, then you see if it's mendable, dry your tears, and move on! (( hugs ))

      Delete
  4. I love the comment I once heard…”Christmas ornaments are memories on branches.” Tree is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd heard that said before, but I love it! Adding it to my collection of sayings!

      Delete
  5. LOVE your eclectic, and sweet ornament choices. The birthstone angel ornaments for you and your Mom are sweet.

    ANDDDDDD . . . Frosy the Demented cookie jar makes his annual appearance, as it should be, right!?!

    I am not a huge decorator, either, but what I do use has meaning. Like a pickle ornament I gave to Dad long ago – it is a German custom to hang a pickle on the tree and someone has to find it. I have the ornaments the kids made in school. Those are memory treasures!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard about the pickle tradition several years ago... I think it was while touring Homestead National Monument during the holiday season. They had displays of all the various immigrant nationalities' customs.

      I have some but not all of the childhood school project ornaments, but you are right... memory treasures!

      Delete
  6. I love your tree and the decorations. The meaning behind the ornaments and why you put them up is precious.

    Of course I got HUGE for this holiday, but that's how I grew up and now I keep it going. Our tree we have our meaningful ornaments, places we've traveled and ones we made as kids. It's always wonderful putting those up and thinking of those memories.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing your blogs for the holidays, and a glimpse into the love you put into your displays... full of memories!

      Have a great day, week, and Holiday season! (( hugs ))

      Delete
  7. I love it!
    For years, I have purchased ornaments from my travels, they reside on the hooks on my hall tree.
    Worst move I ever made: ditching the glass ornaments from the 30's and 40's my mom had saved.
    Best move: I helped the kids make salt dough ornaments in the 1980's. The gingerbread man's head fell off about 2 years in. The 'head', as it's known here, has to be hung on the tree according to my girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tradition of the "head"! Every family has their own special memories. "The kids" (meaning my DIL) have put up their outdoor display, and the light-up critters don't change a lot, but the choreography does. I look forward every year to seeing what she does with them!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...