Friday, November 10, 2023

It's been over a week since I blogged

 I'm playing catch-up, but you know, the minutia of a day eats up the time, and when I start feeling sickly I lose all track of the passage of time, and don't much feel like sharing.  It's the Thumper's Father's issue:  "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all".

In any case, there were a few days before THAT shut-down.  With my Friday LAST week, I was whisked off to the symphony with my older sister.  You see, I'm her back up plan, for when her primary group are busy with other things.  Besides, this was to be a program of baroque pieces, and she knows I'm a fan.

I took one photo for "proof of presence" during the intermission between Vivaldi's Four Seasons and the rest of the concert.

I can appreciate the aerobic workout that the violin soloist who is standing and playing all Four of Vivaldi's Four Seasons!  I can appreciate the conversational style of the various instruments, the panache of the conductor who is directing the ensemble from the keyboard, which he also plays.  

The concert ended with Handel's Music for the Royal Fireworks, another very familiar piece.  On the drive home, sis and I gushed at one another about how interconnected music, math, systems, architecture, etc. all are.  Oh, and psychology and the brain, too, in how the patterns expressed in music result in "happy" chemicals in the brain.  A good time was had by all!

Saturday and Sunday I pieced at the never-ending chore of the weeds/volunteer trees.  Carl got me started, but I was not done.  Three of these bins came from the backyard, two from by the front of the deck.  Friday the 10th, the garbage men took them away, so there is the opportunity to fill the bins again, weather permitting!





The 5th of November, 2009 was what my son once referred to as "the more horrible day of my life".  He ended up with survivor's guilt and PTSD in the wake of that horrible day.  It was no picnic for the families at home, either.  

There is never a shortage of people who have lost their lives in service to their country.  This was just the closest one, personally, in time, space, and relationships.

My son's most challenging time of year is around this anniversary, and it is challenging for me, too... because mothers, you know.

One thing I seem to have trouble with when consulting with medical professionals is the calendar:  "when did this start?" is always a challenging question for me.  Looking back at my Fitbit sleep statistics, showing the disruptions, and remembering the appointments I have waved off, I'd have to say this set in last Monday, the 6th.

I did burn a Covid 19 home test on Tuesday... negative.  Symptoms remind me a bit of the RSV thing I had in July that was confirmed by testing at the Dr.  I have already re-scheduled next Monday's dental appointment, but couldn't get in until mid-December!  Better safe than sorry.  If I waited until Monday morning and still was not ready, it wouldn't be fair to the dental office.  At least this way, they might be able to get someone else into my Monday slot.

And that's about it for my "away from keyboard" time.  I mindlessly soaked in episodes of The Forsyte Saga from PBS.  I had never watched that show, remembered its existence from the late 1960's, but this version from 2003, I think it was, has Damian Lewis and Amanda Root in it. When you like certain actors, it piques the interest.  

Bumps along the way, but still Life is GoodKeep Sparking, my friends!




17 comments:

  1. Ah a symphony concert sounds so peaceful. I do enjoy a good concert like that.

    I've been cleaning up the yard as well. We got a couple of cold wet days, but this weekend should be sunny and hot again.

    Thank you son for his service. We were just talking about what the mean and women go through when they come home. I can't even imagine.

    Have a wonderful day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your recognition of the veterans. I won't even go there about what they go through when they come home. I just pray each day for their mental as well as physical health. They gave up a lot to serve, and we owe them!

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful concert. Beautiful music.

    ((HUGS)) to your son experiencing PTSD. My DS has the same challenge. Seeing things that no one should ever have to see and experiencing things that no one should ever have to experience changes one forever. And thank your son for his service.

    Hope you’re feeling better and glad it was not Covid.

    HUGS
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many things we go through and how we respond fit into this quote (from my son, btw): "it's a normal reaction to an abnormal situation you found yourself in."

      Speaking of sons, please thank yours, too, and pass along that he is not alone, and that there are other families that also "get it". "Thank you for your service" is barely scratching the surface, isn't it?

      Hope you have a good weekend!

      Delete
  3. Huge hugs, at least keyboard wise we can hug safely. The concert sounds just lovely. Take care of you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank goodness that we can be safely in touch and supportive through the keyboard. Sending prayers for your family as I know your plate is full, too. Take care, and warm thoughts for your mom!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a grand way to spend time with your sister.
    DH suffered after two trips to Nam. Thank DS for his service.
    Glad you are feeling a bit better. 💊 🤗 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister's whole life has centered around music, from childhood onward, and I'm so proud of what she's contributed and continues to contribute to live orchestral music. I always feel blessed when I get a peek into that world.

      Thanks to your DH and your family, as I know that whatever the conflict tours, the whole family is affected. My son's father also spent time in uniform, in 'Nam. Both my grandfathers served, one in the first world war, the other in the second.

      Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  5. Active military duty spent in war zones has a seemingly non-ending ripple effect for multiple generations to cope with. Prayers for peace at some level for all those affected.

    Sad week here because our 14-year-old rescue Maltipoo, Bailey, that joined our household 4 years ago went into multi-organ failure (suspected reason cancer from labs done late October) and Monday passed in my husband's arms at the Vet's.

    Keep On Keeping On (KOKO) was my very first SparkMail message welcoming me to the site and inviting me to join a team when I joined in 2012. KOKO pops into my conscious brain often these days.

    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! I remember your Bailey, and am so sorry for your loss. So glad your husband did the ultimate service to Bailey by being there for comfort at the final "crossing".

      KOKO, indeed. ((( hugs )))

      Delete
    2. Thank you.
      PHOENIX1949

      Delete
  6. Music soothes the savage beast, and the rest of us!
    Feel better, there's all kinds of stuff going around. Before covid we said we had colds, fall allergies, or some 'thing' and hunkered down.
    I feel for both of you. There may come a time that the day is less angst producing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Mothers: you always worry about them, no matter how many years it's been. Took another Covid test this morning (negative) because the furnace people are doing the heating check. Yes, on a Sunday. Remember back in the day when everything shut down on Sundays? Not that I want to go back to those days, mind you, but it takes me by surprise when a place that does things "by appointment only" offers a Sunday as an option!

      Hope things are going well on your end of the country!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I do enjoy Baroque music!

    I also have been dragging with 'something.' First I thought it was allergies (and it was), then thought it was a cold. Three weeks in I found out it was allergies which went into a sinus infection... didn't realize as I always use my neti pot this time of year. A week of antibiotics and I'm mostly better but not sure if I'm over it.

    I served Army. One grandpa served army, the other served Navy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your service, too. Our family was also mixed service branches... one grandfather Army, the other Navy.

      Hope your sinus issues clear up quickly!

      Delete
  8. I have missed so many of your blogs. I saw it mentioned on Lakeside Lady's blog list and decided to check. It is over a year since I updated my own blog. Perhaps I will get to it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness! I don't see a comment from me on your last blog (March 2022) either... so I must have been in a radio silence period and... we just lose track. I still see you on Runkeeper and try to put a "Like" on your hikes!

      I tend to drop in and out, as I did on Spark, too. But life goes on! Hope it is treating you well! (( hugs ))

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...