Saturday, March 16, 2024

This year's pending projects

I do try to get some projects done "around the house" every year.  And sometimes they are just the start of something that becomes bigger over the years.  This year I have asked the folks who did my "step down" from the patio to the yard to estimate a variety of tasks around the yard.  Probably won't see the break down until beginning of next week, but hang it all, I'm ready to have it maintenance ready.


The step and boulders at the bottom of the photo were done by these guys about 15 to 20 years ago.  But it has held up well.  I'm asking them to make that back yard mowable grass, and graded so that their mowing guys can maintain it, without my having to garden or weed.  Clean up the landing there in the foreground, fill the sandbox with sand, etc.  

In the front, I've asked them to estimate putting stone borders around a paved/rocked areas where I want the plants to "go away", until the bay window, and where the swing used to sit.  Get rid of the old stumps of the volunteer trees.  General yard cleanup.

While they are at it, they will "take a peek" at my long-broken sprinkler system.  He says a new system for a yard the size of mine might run about $13,000!  So if they can fix the one that is there, no matter how many problems there might be with it, it would be a lot less.  OK, on this one I feel like I'm dreaming, but it can't hurt for them to look it over.

Dream, dream, dream.

Lots of bare dirt there, I will ask them about re-seeding, especially if the sprinklers get fixed.

I expect the estimate via e-mail sometime next week.






Meanwhile, the city has been out marking the potholes it intends to fill this Spring.  I'm on the list, like always.




I'm not sure when they will get this work done, but it doesn't seem as bad as it has been some years in the past.


Saturday afternoon, "the kids" collected me for an outing at the dog park for Carl's birthday weekend.  He ended up doing a bit of water fetch and then showering anyone within shaking range.



In the end, a tired dog is a happy dog.  And a tired dog is also a good dog.



Life is good.

Spark on!





8 comments:

  1. You are truly blessed to have "yard guys". I spent over two hours this evening looking for someone...anyone...to help clean the dead stuff from my yard. I have about an acre, with several large areas, that looks very similar to the top picture. The ones I found, who are fairly close, are only interested in doing expensive landscaping. Sigh. Since I'm neither Tarzan nor Jane, I really am not interested in jungle living. ☺️

    A fun outing with Carl and his humans. Apparently, there's no need for him to wait for the water to warm. Brrr!

    Have a wonderful week! 🤗💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had some yard guys. I got hooked up to these guys through my realtor in 1999. I went without them for a few years, but when I wanted to go back to the pros, I called them up because I knew they did good work. I expect it will be expensive, though.

      Have you tried any of the online lists, like Angi? I found a guy to do demolition on my shed a couple of years ago that way. He also put temporary fixes on my fence, and blocked up the holes in my siding pecked by birds. Probably need to call him back to re-plug a couple of those holes now.

      Oh, Carl's story with swimming is a long one. His paw-rents have worked with him over time, during the pandemic, and now he does not hesitate to get in and swim for his target, be it a stick or a ball. He even fetched another dog's special ball, when the other dog was reluctant to do so. It was a very nice ball, and my son chucked it across to dry land on the other side of the stream for that dog's owners.

      I think it was all that swimming that wore him out and when they got home, after his bath, he zonked on his hu-mom's lap on the couch.

      Delete
  2. The before pictures!
    Hope they can help, even with sprinkler repair instead of replacement.
    Aw, Carl, tired, good, happy birthday boy 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see how the estimate comes out! Hope your Sunday school teaching went well this morning.

      Delete
  3. Some great plans, I know the neighbours to mom redid their yard to keep it as low upkeep as possible meaning hardly any gardening and it looked really nice. Yup, a tired dog is a good dog. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low maintenance... that's the plan! Naturally, will post the end result, not sure how many months in the future, though.

      Delete
  4. Expansive project, but sounds well worth the time and money. Anything to make maintenance easier.

    Looks like Carl had a good time, and even shared his wet fun. They have a way of doing that, don’t they! Definitely . . . a tired dog is a good dog! They’ve fulfilled their missions. Satisfaction!

    Here’s to a fabulous St. Patrick’s Day.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have had a "canine fix", as I've been drooling over a batch of puppies of late. I'm too realistic with myself to think I could raise a silver lab at this point in my life, though. So... back to borrowing Carl from time to time.

      A happy St. Patrick's Day to you, as well.

      Delete

Sunday adventures with kitty and puppy

The morning started well.  Mommy fed the cat first, before even getting the puppy out to "take care of business".  I think this wa...