Thursday, March 28, 2024

Thursday cometh

 

Does this really look like a poor kitty?  He's 13 years old.  He's smart and intuitive, and his hu-mom adores him.  Just not enough to turn down the long wanted puppy from coming to join us!

My trainer has medicalizing this morning, and was going to text me if he got done in time to schedule a session, since I'll be taking next week off to settle Ember into the mix.  But I just texted him and said, "Nawww... my cleaning is in full session today and I don't want to interrupt it."

I am doing things that probably should have been kept up with right along.  You see, those of you who remember me from the Spark days might remember that I am a self-identified "Messie".  So things get left out, mid-project.  I am not good at finishing what I start.  Sigh.  I've lived with this me ever since I was a kid, and was shamed for it.  But I have come to accept me for who I am, and periodically fight the good fight because of a higher need.  

Well, a new puppy in the house is definitely a higher need, so I started removing cords and things that are no longer used (like the not quite successful digital antenna on one of the TV's), so as to remove temptation from a curious critter.  I moved the laptop that usually lives on the dining room table up to the office (where I'm typing from now), so the cord won't tempt her.  Cleaning products are being consolidated into safer locations so they won't look like chew toys to her... etc.  

When Carl was a puppy I kept several doors closed in the house while he was present, so that he didn't get in trouble.  Watching these puppy videos has me very aware that I need a higher level of supervision for the new puppy than I gave to him at first.  Both eyes on the puppy, distract.  I'll have the advantage of starting crate training myself from the jump, in this case.  At least that's the fantasy.

In family news:

The mythical son and his wife have their final approval home visit for foster parenting Thursday.  They have installed a locking cupboard for cleaning supplies, and a locking bar cabinet for the liquor in the house.  Being a responsible gun owner, my son has long kept his heirloom and personal firearms locked up, so that was not ever going to be an issue.  

The two sets of potential foster-grandparents are hoping and praying for a good report after said visit.  

All of which is to say:

Life is good.  Here's hoping that Ember comes into my life to keep the Spark alive!  And may all who follow along, Spark along, as well.



15 comments:

  1. I well remember Mt Saint? Oh my gawd.
    Fortunately puppies can't reach the top of a table...yet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mt. St. Omigawd has never grown to the extent it HAD achieved, since I retired, but I have to admit the foothills were growing. Much better this evening than it was this morning, but far from a "finished", as there are still mounds in the office and the "storage room" and the garage.

      Oh, and as for this pup, as she grows it will be that baseball bat of a tail I'll have to be wary of. Clear off any flat surface in a single swipe.

      Delete
  2. Whether it's a new puppy or a baby that's learned to crawl and pull up, the preparations are very similar. Poor kitty will need to find a safe hiding place. 😸
    I'm really looking forward to newsy posts with lots of photos. It will be fun to hear the stories and watch her grow. (No sarcasm intended. It's hard to write and get the tone set just right.)
    Good luck with the prep. Ember is a lucky pup! 🐶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... Prisoner already has his hiding places. I know most of them by now. The tricky bit for me will be separating his eating place from puppy. And you are right about the preparations. Putting things up, or gating things off.

      Delete
  3. Bet there will be a few forgotten places that will have a puppy surprise of the tail swishing :) How exciting! I am sure Prisoner will settle in too. Cats are very smart ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll have plenty of learning opportunities as Ember grows! And as I tell myself, it's a leap of faith. It means a 15 year commitment to stay in my house and well enough to care for her. Thankfully my son is willing to be a back-up should an emergency need arise.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Prisoner is 13?? I didn’t realize that. Such a handsome fellow and he’ll adjust to Ember!

    Oh and such good news for mythical son and lovely DIL! Prayers, and fingers crossed that the home visit goes well. It’s been 31 yrs. since I’ve been through that, but I REMEMBER that feeling if exhilaration and anxiety. Much luck.

    So many wonderful family changes. Truly a weekend for gratitude!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I lost Diamond in March, and the kittens joined me in July or August, same year, 2011. Time sure flies... math says that's 13 years ago.

      The home visit went well, but I was wrong about it being the last in the process. They have two weeks of background check and then another home visit on April 11th.

      I'm glad there is such stringent checking, as after all, these are wards of the state and deserve protection. One rule is that we can't post pictures of any child they have in their care on social media... so, don't expect kid photos in my blog.

      Easter was when as a 4 year old I rejoined my parents. Easter was when I came home from working in Italy to a young son who seemed to think I was at the airport the whole time. Easter and reunions or new unions just sort of go together in my mind.

      Happy Easter to you and your whole extended family!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I remember that rule, too . . . no posting pictures on the net. Of course, the net wasn't as prevalent as it was back then, but still. Good luck!

      barb
      1cd

      Delete
  5. Bet you cannot wait for ALL of the fun to begin…I’m excited for you! I’m sure son/wife will do well with the foster home inspections and checks; caring people are definitely needed! Happy Easter to you and yours! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter to your whole family, too. Spring is sprung, and lots of new life, right?

      (( hugs )) - Barb

      Delete
  6. PHOENIX1949

    My take on training a new puppy turned out to be pure fantasy! After I met with a trainer that I connected with, we scheduled an appointment to meet the puppy (American Eskimo Spitz) and both of her human parents. First and last meeting as spouse objected to all the rules and felt dogs should be able to free roam to be happy. Trainer said "you must be on the same page at all times so we will not waste my time or your money." Many years later I was looking at old family photos at his parents' house and as a toddler he was in a harness with a leash, sometimes tethered to a tree while the adults partied. SHEESH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, brother! I know there have to be rules, especially for the big breeds, and labs can get big. We had to abandon my own mom's dream of raising a young dog because the human children/teenagers didn't make the dog mind, and one of the toddlers got a cut when the puppy jumped up on her. (I wonder if ALICIA363 remembers Corky?)

      Anyway, I had three different dogs in the house when I was married, all with their own learning arcs... endless variety... so I'm looking forward to seeing what all comes up with this one. And absolutely I agree with the trainer you met. While dogs can learn (just like human children) which parent is a soft touch for what bad behavior, it's much easier if there's ONE set of "house rules".

      Sorry about the Spitz you missed out on. You may just have just dodged a bullet there, though, if you and your mate could not agree on training philosophy. I'll be really interested to hear how the "Introspective on parenting styles" homework my son and his wife have been assigned influences their plans as foster parents.

      Happy Easter!
      - Barb

      Delete
  7. Oh, such a good shot of Prisoner. I hope he and Ember quickly acclimate to one another.

    Yes, it is astonishing how young children and animals can show us what needs to be tucked away. I'm better at keeing things tidy than I used to be, but it's not my super-power. Several years back one of the gals who posted here introduced me to Diane in Denmark, and watching her cheerful declutter/cleaning videos motivate me really well. I'll never spit and polish person again as in Army days, and I'm totally fine with that. But it's nice not cringing when folks stop over.

    So excited for all the new beginnings in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to follow the FlyLady some years ago and got only as far as shining my sink, making my bed every day, and being dressed "down to the shoes" before coming downstairs in the morning... and that was enough to give me a sense of control to carry on.

      I don't know if I'll ever reach the stage of not cringing when folks stop over, though. LOL!

      Delete

Saturday morning naughty puppy

  Don't know if it's visible to anyone else, but this is my outdoor unit of the central air... can you see where the puppy tore at t...