Thursday, August 6, 2026

Little things and check lists


What is the downstream effect of heading back to "the new Spark"?  It seems as though the AI Sparkcoach has given a non-human encouragement layer to the goal setting and achievement scene that always was at the root of SparkPeople.  But the friendships we gained were all part of encouraging one another in the context of weight loss, health, and fitness.  We're all in the same human boat!

I don't want to knock what's going on over on SparkPeople, it's very useful, and it's bringing back a lot of memories of the original structure that worked so well for me, personally.  




But what makes me tick?  This became the real question as I started learning to navigate the new site.

  • Helping others
  • Encouraging others
  • Sharing ones own experiences

Those are the reasons to blog on a platform like SparkPeople.  Cronometer was missing those.  MyFitnessPal was missing those.  Any other pure tracking tool, from the automated step counters to the sleep measuring watches are missing these.  They are wonderful tools, but they are not integrated with the community in the way that works best for me:  the written word, the personal experiences.  That's why, when Spark shut down five years ago, I shopped for a blogging site. I landed here.

Over the intervening five years, most of the original group of bloggers has fallen away.  A handful of us are left, and our blogs have evolved, mostly into daily or weekly updates on "life" and how it's going.  We don't have the access to newbies, or the need to share a bunch of motivational material.  We still share encouragement, and good wishes, and prayers (if we're so inclined), but many are in maintenance or have moved on.  We know what to do, and we go about the business of doing it.  We share what's working and what's not.

What are we missing?  Immigrants!  Seriously, folks new to the process who may need a little hand-holding and personal encouragement!

So, here I am, writing not just a Spark Blog over on the new Spark2, but continuing to blog here, and trying to figure out what's going on in my own head... because that's where all the motivation really happens!

In real life:

I made an appointment at the vet for Friday to have them look at Ember's teeth and help determine whether it's time to start down the path of dental cleanings.  I have never brushed her teeth.  When she was a puppy those razor sharp puppy teeth were giving me too much trouble with bitey behavior.  I only started conditioning her to allow me to brush her coat regularly about six months ago.  

Last week I got one of the doggy toothbrushes out and started the process of conditioning her to let me do things with her now adult teeth.  The vet is running a hundred dollars off an annual cleaning this month, so... tomorrow we'll find out if it is appropriate!

Across town, got notification that my son has signed up to be a head coach for FGC's soccer team!  Wow!  You know, I never would have thought I would raise the kind of kid who would do this.  Blame the army.  I tried doing things of this sort when I was younger (as in 20's) and discovered it way outspends my own social energy budget!  He's good at this stuff, mind you.  I'm not.  I do my best encouragement behind a keyboard!  LOL!

Anyway, life continues to be goodKeep on Sparkin', on or off the platform so named!


10 comments:

  1. PHOENIX1949

    The anesthesia used for KC's one and only tooth cleaning made him very sick and lethargic for quite a while. He was very adamant that the toothbrush or silicon, ribbed-finger cover were NOT entering his mouth. KUJO reaction! Upped his daily dental chew from 1/day to 2/day. Some pet owners on NextDoor app have high praises for laser dentistry for their furkids' cleanings and it costs about 1/3 to 1/2 of standard tooth cleaning depending upon where you go. Also, there is a mobile unit that can do this instead of a trip to the vet. Most of the vet clinics here are now owned by corporations and the prices have skyrocketed.

    I'm on new SparkPeople but finding it confusing and annoying with all my medical 'stuff' going on so I'm not sure I belong there at this point in time. Time will tell. I do sign in and spin the wheel daily and AI Chris made a notation of note I sent about challenge to fully participate.

    Next Tuesday I have follow-up tests monitoring an issue not related to bladder cancer journey but was detected from CT scan related to cancer issue. Surgical biopsy came back non-malignant with with atypical cells and action delayed for another round of cancer diagnosis treatments. This visit will determine if I have a surgical procedure that afternoon or a major surgery in the very near future.

    HOT, HOT, HOT days and nights here with many triple digits enhanced by high humidity.

    To escape the worldly chaos, I have been immersing myself in B&W westerns from long ago, music primarily from 1960's - 1970's, classical CD's and Celtic music.

    You have done so well with Ember. Pat yourself on the back! I've never been comfortable around large dogs (cat & parakeet person before marrying a dog person).

    Keep On Keeping On!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent... I sent you a friend request over on SP2. Time will tell what we each have room for in our lives.

      I understand about doing whatever we can to escape the worldly chaos! I am glad your biopsy came back non-malignant. Will keep the prayer chain going for the Tuesday visit next week and its results.

      I actually made some progress with the brushy-ribbed finger cover going into Ember's mouth last week, but I take it easy with the conditioning. Her dental chews are yogurt formula, and I suppose it's time for a conversation with the vet on the general topic even if no cleaning is needed just now. Totally understand about the corporate / profit element having entered the veterinary community. Sad. So many industries that previously were "non profit" and service based have gone down that route.

      Delete
  2. Prisoner looks pawsitively regal in that pose. HOPE that Ember doesn't need a dental cleaning yet. I have only had to do it once w/Miss Lilly and she's 7. Like w/humans, anesthesia takes it's toll on the body so the less the better.

    Glad your DS is so involved in FGS's life. That makes such a difference in their lives.

    As for SP2, just trying it out and seeing how it goes. As carer for DH don't have a lot of time to spare, but will try it out.

    hugs
    barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many people have had ONLY ONCE experiences with dental cleaning for their pets. My kid sis's terrier ended up having to have teeth pulled in his later life, and I just want to keep on top of it. Maybe it's a matter of me learning / and Ember learning how to successfully "do our best" with brushing.

      I'm amazed at how many places you keep up, Barb! Between the io maintenance group, showing up here when I post, and now SP2? Hang in there, my friend, and keep on breathing!

      Delete
    2. My time on SP2 is really sparse. But I try to definitely keep up w/the maintenance group.

      Delete
    3. Whatever works... you'll find out what is serving you best, and it seems like a lot on the maintenance group are planning to stay put to keep the connection. I don't post often over there, but I do scan the posts to keep up.

      Delete
  3. Oscar had several dental cleanings/teeth pulled. The doggie toothbrushes were dangerous as he's try to bite and swallow them. He'd grab and gulp down any food and would not chew. He had a fairly good buildup of tarter due to this habit. Good luck. Recently Chewy had a cleaning and I think it was 700? Remember, we're in NYC-Philly -money territory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning I filled a bag to take with us to the vet, with all the things I have spent money on supposedly to help her teeth and gums. I'm hoping for a frank conversation and advice. It's expensive, yes! Pets in general are, but vet costs have skyrocketed with the "corporate profit takeover" of so many clinics. Still, I love these folks, they are so kind to the animals, and they seem to have ALL the specialists from avian to reptilian as well as dogs, cats and rodents! I haven't seen a horse or cow walk in, though. LOL.

      Delete
  4. Good for your son volunteering to coach! That is so great of him to help. I, too, am a behind the keyboard kind of coach - lol. Yes, I am pretty sure I will not be going back to Spark, I have heard the thought that once past the testing there will be a cost. I really liked the friendships and the blog on Spark but found what works for me when it shut down. Take care... time for me to get writing my weekly blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SparkGuy gives a good rationale for what the "premium" levels pay for... things that HE has to pay for when we use them. The AI Coach has a cost involved. He insists there will always be a free version, it just won't have some of the bells and whistles.

      I've been playing with the AI Coach, and have to say it is "interesting". But he also has an AI Coder, that he has named Claude. That's MY job that's being replaced by an AI. Scary.

      I'll be over to check for your blog later.

      Delete

Little things and check lists

What is the downstream effect of heading back to "the new Spark"?  It seems as though the AI Sparkcoach has given a non-human enco...