Ember: "What is this? Oh! Do I get to help dry off the dishes?"
Believe it or not... my co-mum-in-law gave me a little knitted gadget that lets me hang a dishtowel on the stove handle. I put it in place on Tuesday, while Ember was at day care. When she came home, she gave it a good sniff, and even a bit of a taste test. Guess it doesn't smell/taste like meat.
She has left it alone since!
On Wednesday we went to the dogs-allowed-inside store, the one where I purchase her treats and one of her kibble brands. I knew I wanted about four things in the store, so I started to pull out a shopping cart. Oops! Ember has never accompanied me when I was using a cart. She backed away.I opted to skip the cart. This time. We will try again on another visit. A cart would have been useful. I was juggling a small bag of kibble, two packs of 10-inch-long chews (BOGO sale), and a pack of 100 of the size I call her "Itty-bitties". I made it about halfway to checkout before I was getting tangled up between leash and these. Fortunately, a friendly clerk offered to help me carry the things up to the counter!
In retrospect, Ember was "pretty good". She didn't pull or go nuts (other than shying away from the cart). We made it across the parking lot to the car and she hopped right in. Continued progress!
Thursday morning, she happily went into her day care. She even kept her paws on the ground. Her ears are bothering her, I can tell, and her next dose of the ear medicine was due Friday morning.
It happened, but it was a whole adventure, involving trapping her in the car so I could control her movements. Before I got to that solution I tried the bathroom (too many things she could grab and run off with, that turned into a marvelous game of chase, in her opinion). We had an episode of slipping out of her harness. Eventually, I pronounced getting the gel into the ears "good enough for my first time." She should not have to worry about mom doing this again for a while.
With that accomplished, I was free when I got word that the Ace needed a little help with her pup being "home alone." Ace and her hubby were both unavailable, but I still had a house key, so was able to go feed and walk and medicate Benji. Isn't he the cutest? 17 pounds and "older" but don't tell him he's geriatric. He is quite capable of a fast walk, and a good tug on the leash! I think he takes after his "Old One".
I, in the meantime, while I talked to him, kept getting confused about what to call myself. "Mom" is what I use when referencing myself to Ember. "Grandma" is what I use when referencing myself to Carl (son's dog). "Aunt Barb" is what I have used to reference myself to Benji in the past. I would go through all three, like my mom used to do going through her five kids' names before hitting the right one!
Ember napped during both rescue missions, and while she sniffed me thoroughly after each, she seems confident that she's still the top dog at this house!
Saturday morning, we had rumbles of thunder overhead. It quit raining by 7, though, and we got in a leash walk in the neighborhood. Today's challenge was a bunny, doing bunny things, audaciously, within 20 feet of Ember.
I walked her a little closer. MISTAKE! This mimics the stalking phase of the prey sequence, and she surprised me by lunging for the bunny, right after I had choked up on her close leash handle (the one you use when walking in traffic). OMG, this dog is strong! Benji may have a strong tug, but Ember can force the issue when she is motivated to do so. The bunny went under an evergreen tree, Ember would have dragged me through it, but I don't fit! I took a couple of giant steps before I got her back in line.
Anyway, she scared me, but we survived. I talked her back to the sidewalk. Once we got reset, the rest of the walk was fine, but it does remind one of the power at the other end of the leash. Ember looked so proud of herself!
Anyway, that's the Emberville news for now. Over on Spark I'm getting back in the swing of posting my pep talks as blogs. I have reconnected over there with some I "lost" over here. Being "back on Spark" reminds me of how important the audience is. Just as a performer "reads the room" a blogger reads the audience, and it influences what you write.
If anybody hasn't got one and needs an invitation to get onto Spark, let me know. I still have several left.
Life is good! Spark on!



There is no end to the adventures Ember can bring, is there! Wow, glad that the bunny adventure ended all right, though.
ReplyDeleteAnd poor Benji w/the cone of shame. They NEVER like that.
Miss Lilly has to have ear medication once in awhile and it it difficult. I do it in the bathroom, but never thought about the car. Will consider that next time. She does like a good game of chase! At least she couldn't do that in the car.
hugs and blessings
barb
Benji has to have the ginormous cone to keep him from chewing on his paws, which is where his itching shows up. And he has a few other issues that require the meds. He's still the bestest boy he knows how to be. Although he knows he's the boss.
DeleteOh, I had one of those hanging towels for on the refrigerator. It was way too tempting to Miss Lilly and she destroyed it in 2 DAYS.
ReplyDeleteHUGS
BARB
1cd
Lilly! Ember would be proud of you!
Delete