Sunday, September 11, 2022

From yesterday's clouds to today's sunshine


At home
I waited until 6 a.m., sipping my first mug of coffee, before leaving for the lake.  I snapped a photo of the moon over the neighboring houses before I backed out.  One thing was clear to me on the drive out... this will be my last outing as a volunteer to this race because I don't feel I should be night driving.

I took another photo of the moon once I got out to the lake.  In between, on the way, the sun rose.

It was a beautiful and calm day.  What a contrast to last year's Last Blast Triathlon, which, if you have a long memory for details that don't impact you personally, you might recall was stopped due to lightning in the region, during the bike leg.

At the race venue


I borrowed a kayak from a lady and gent who brought extras.  The water was smooth as glass.  They started the swimmers in a time trial fashion this year.  One loop for the Sprint distance, two for the Olympic racers.

After my duties in the kayak were done, I checked in at the finish line and they didn't really need me there.  I wandered over to the car, where I found Gary (race director)'s wife trying to make sure the bikers didn't waste time turning into the parking lot, and the runners didn't get run over from the vehicular traffic trying to exit the park.

I hung out there to "help" for a while, then wandered back to the finish line, because adding my car to the exit traffic did not seem right.

It was a bit on the crazy side.  Eventually I made my way home, where I think I shall take a nap, and continue my day!

Even waiting as I did, there was quite a line up, and they held us there taking turns with incoming and outgoing traffic.  Oh, well.

Here's remembering the day (September 11), while watching the Queen's cortege entering Edinburgh.  

Life is good.  And it goes on, regardless of our individual presence.  Spark on!

15 comments:

  1. ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐ŸซกNever forget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another 911 Anniversary …. And I remember every minute of the horror as witnessed in OH on TV all those years ago. Never forget!
    Glad that you had a productively active day assisting others in doing what they (and you) so enjoy! Spark on! Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also remember where I was and what I was doing, and how in the office where I was working at the time, we all kind of suspended for the day. A TV was brought in to one of the manager's offices, and we rotated in and out trying to find out what was happening. If you remember, there was a lot of confusion. Planes were grounded and our city was hosting those whose nearest airport at the time was ours.

      I'm sure we'll also remember where we were when we heard of the Queen's passing, too. Some news items are that way.

      Delete
  3. Always remember, never forget. I was at home watching it on T.V.

    I'm glad that you were able to get out there and help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐Ÿ–ค Thank you. I feel it's been kind of "long good-bye" to the eventing that meant a lot to me over the course of a decade or so.

      Delete
  4. Life sure does go on. We had a full rainy cloudy day here but looks like your day was perfect for the event. I know what you mean about night driving, we don't do that very often anymore either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure better to give it up voluntarily, recognizing my own limits, that to press my luck and potentially have something unfortunate happen.

      Delete
  5. Love the picture of the moon! Beautiful. Glad you were able to make that event and were of help. Getting to the point for us, too, night driving is not our favorite thing to do.

    Here's to a motivated Monday.

    hugs
    barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those sightings of the moon, and often can't resist taking photos, even though they aren't high quality, just being phone shots.

      Wishing you a lovely Monday!

      Delete

  6. Some of the girls in my class and I were washing our hands getting ready for lunch. Another teacher walked into the bathroom and told me to return to my classroom and turn on the tv. All the classes for the remainder of the day for the entire school came to a standstill.
    A day that will live in infamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have just described my experience on the day JFK was killed. There are events that just do that in this world.

      Delete
  7. I had pretty well given up night driving, just a couple miles on my way home from work in the fall/winter and cut down a lot on my other driving, and then I had my cataracts removed. What a difference!! Now, although I still don't like to be out at night, I do manage the night driving quite well. Of course where I live traffic is pretty light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will likely have the cataract on the right side addressed over the Winter... we shall see!

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...