Monday, September 19, 2022

The other cat looks at the King

 

Having a hard time sleeping?  Yep.  Gave it up at got up in the middle of the night, as there were things happening on the other side of the planet I wanted to see.  So while I remain at home in the Central Time zone of the USA, the events described took place in London and Windsor, in the UK.

This cat was watching not just one head of state, but hundreds, arrived to say farewell to this Queen.  

Observing the foreign non-commonwealth country leaders seated before, and the prime ministers, both of commonwealth nations and past British prime ministers who served the Queen, knights of the garter, etc. seated later. Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden were brought in an hour before the service was to start.  This is not our show, fellow Americans.  

I did learn something new... what the commentators call those bands with the instruments wrapped in black!  

They were referring to them as "masked bands".  Ah-hah!  Makes a certain kind of sense.  I wonder if this is a purely British term, or if my musician relatives knew this and just hadn't shared it with me!

I'm loved the choirs, I love the King James phrasing of the Bible readings; my own cultural patterns are being honored here.  But with the reading I've done of late (blogged about that before), I have to recognize this may not be true of all who see it.  Some will have a very different lens, based on their own experience and family history.

Problematic for me was watching the sailors pulling and braking as the coffin was moved from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey.  And then after the service, all the way to Wellington Arch.  Humans, pulling in harness... humans in harness serving as the braking mechanism, too.

Granted, they did the job perfectly, and I recognize that those serving in this capacity consider it an honor.  They are sailors.  Once upon a time, the British sailors hauled ropes to raise sails of tall ships.  It was hard, manual labor.  These thoughts occur of what a hard life that was for the sailors.  

They delivered the coffin for the start of the procession into the Abbey at precisely, to the minute, the time advertised.  Precision timing is impressive.



I watched as young George and Charlotte Wales joined the procession inside the Abbey.  George is a mere 9 years old.  I remember I was that I was 10 when President Kennedy was assassinated, and what a momentous week that was in my young life as the USA pretty much shut down for the entire week.  TV had nothing BUT that coverage on it.  The whole thing "ruined" my birthday weekend (self-centered as most children are).  I am impressed with how well these youngsters are handing the jobs they have been born into, "like it or not".

Queen Elizabeth had a hand in planning this whole show, in advance.  One of the commentators over the weekend said that she wanted no long preaching... she didn't want it to be long and dull.  She did want "angelic voices" and that was surely delivered.  There's nothing like a boy choir for angelic voices... those innocent faces, with sober duties in their performance.  Of course there was the richness of adult voices mixed in as appropriate.


I noticed young George caught in one shot, peeking over at the singing choir boys.  You have to wonder what his particular interests will be, as he grows.  His grandfather, for example, now King, is a painter.  I think I'd known that before, but re-learned it this week with all the coverage.

I have to say the procession was impressive.  I was interested when an Australian service member was interviewed on Sunday by his TV folks from "back home".  He indicated that he was thankful that with his role of marching in formation for the event, and all he had to do was watch the person in front of him, and "whenever his left foot touches the ground, so does mine".  


After the procession in London, which was HUGE, with representation from all over the Commonwealth, including the Australians, New Zealanders, and Canadians... and many more, too.


After they all came to their end points at Wellington Arch, the coffin was piped off Navy duty and placed into a state Hearse for a motorcade to Windsor.  

Like so many others who might be watching, my thoughts went back to the most recent family funeral we had, and it would be that of my brother.  The way we dragged it out over more than a week, while his ashes were driven from NY State to Nebraska to be buried beside his parents... granted we didn't have military parades or bands, but the timeline, the taking a "quiet day" between the flurries of activity... I can completely understand the exhaustion on the faces of the family.


For a bit of levity in the mix, I had to smile at little Princess Charlotte, who in this photo appears to be advising her brother George... a role we've seen in her at other events.  I can see a future as a Princess Royal?  She has lots of strong women in the family as role models, including the late monarch.

One more procession with the Royal Householders, including household cavalry, another minute gun, and another tolling of the church bells.  One more short church service.  Then she will be buried at St. George's chapel alongside Phillip, the late Duke of Edinburgh, her husband since 1947.

And that hearse is going to need a bath.  Between the crowds throwing flowers as it passed and the inescapable rolling through the inevitable result of parading cavalry.

This is already borderline "TL;DR" (too long, didn't read) if not past the border, so I'll stop for now.

I'll leave it with the uncaptured image of the Queen's Corgis, that I have read will be living with Prince Andrew and Fergie.  These were a gift from Andrew to his mother, and I'm sure they will be well looked after.

Take care of yourselves, whatever circumstance you find yourself in today.  Be kind not just to others, but in meeting your own needs as well.  

Life is good.  Spark on!

🔥✨💖




17 comments:

  1. I woke at 2:15 a.m., turned in to BBC America, made coffee, and settled in to watch. BBC had no commentators, just the events as they came to pass.
    The following is from "Time" online:
    **While most VIPs took the bus to Westminster Abbey, the Bidens showed up in “the Beast,” the heavily armored limousine that travels with the U.S. President. Biden got one of few exceptions to the strict security protocols around the event, which forbade the guests from taking private aircraft to London and using foreign or state vehicles.
    The special treatment, however, ended there.
    According to the schedule of events the palace published, foreign dignitaries were supposed to take their seats in Westminster Abbey between 9:35 and 9:55 a.m., ahead of the official start time at 11 a.m. But the Bidens encountered standstill traffic along the way (one video taken on a cell phone showed the hulking black U.S. presidential limousine crawling past a Pret a Manger).
    The Bidens did not arrive at the funeral until 10:07 a.m.

    Most of the time, when the President of the United States is late, people wait for him. This was not so at the funeral of the longest-serving British monarch, where international royalty and world leaders congregated by the dozens.

    The Bidens were “gently” told that they would have to wait to find their seats while a line of British veterans holding the honor of the George and Victoria Cross processed through the Abbey ahead of them. They followed the last of the military members down the main aisle to their seats. ***End of article.
    The Bidens were the epitome of decorum and civilized behavior. Can you begin to imagine how the former guy would have reacted and then acted?!?!?!
    The pageantry was remarkable. What a grand way to end a most remarkable reign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather suspect that had the secret service not insisted on the Beast the Brits would have got him there on time. As it was, I was pleased that the Bidens represented us well, cooperating and adapting. I know I am not the only US citizen who was up and watching.

      But now I'm about royaled-out. I don't think I could take another dirge and drum beat! I wish them well, moving forward.

      One commentator after the fact said there had been 3000 service members in the London show... which is about a 10th of the number of runners in the Boston Marathon each year. That, too, is a big security deal, and what all the security arrangements reminded me of.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the synopsis! I enjoyed googling about Charlotte this evening. What a perfect brooch! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ace (if you couldn’t tell) 😂

      Delete
    2. Indeed. So many subtle and touching tributes, in choice of dress and accessories. Very British.

      Delete
  3. It was a beautiful service. This is something that I will never see in my lifetime again. I was in awe of the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Paula! I suppose I should be making more concrete plans for when it's my time to go. I remember all the decisions that had to be made when my brother passed... the Queen's funeral observances had been in the planning since the 1960's. Having a plan laid out saves the bereaved a lot of that weight of deciding while grieving.

      Of course I don't claim to have that many folks who "need to grieve" or need to observe a succession plan. But the big ones do make us think. My sister and I have added to our own planning with each personal loss... after our brother died, we ended up taking care of another aspect... but I've done nothing about any kind of service. My aunt had hers planned down to the hymns and readings! My brother... zip! His poor daughter had to make all these decisions at the tender age of 32.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate the coverage summary. I can’t watch; still mourning my own mother.
    I had myself a cry last night; had joked about it being my 1st birthday, giggled, then the tears came as I remembered the story of my birth. (I was born via c-section in a 3rd world country) I always celebrated my mom during my birthday.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. After my brother passed in 2019, I could not do certain things without breaking down. I can do them now, but not that first year. Your mom's loss is still fresh with you.

      What a fascinating birth story, and a strong bond to be celebrating your mom on your birthday.

      Delete
  5. As the old saying goes - it was done up proper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it was! She was "done proud" by her family, nation, and the Commonwealth.

      Delete
  6. Awwww, yes, I watched the funeral, as well. History. LOVE the picture of Rubia. Definitely looking regal.

    Yes, for sure the angelic voices were delivered per Queen Elizabeth’s request. Beautiful music. Everything was done with precision and timing. Exhausting to be sure.
    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mostly a unifying event. I know not everyone felt that way, so it gave me a lot of food for thought... how one's actions impact others who don't have the same background. Funny how real life interacts with things we might be reading or learning, and we have to assimilate through the differences.

      hugs back,
      other Barb

      Delete
  7. I also watched the majority of the events over the days…the Royals must be absolutely exhausted. What an amazing show of pageantry and precise planning! I very much doubt that there will be another like it again, in my lifetime. What a grand lady, Queen Elizabeth!
    Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. King Charles III, especially, looked very tired, especially toward the end of the third procession of the day. And when they played God Save the King at the end of the Windsor service, there were visible tears in his eyes. Nobody else does pageantry like that!

      RIP E II R

      Delete
  8. Very nice summary of the very long day which I also watched from start to finish. The precision and pageantry were something to behold. May Queen Elizabeth, II, Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. I'm glad I watched it all, but also felt emotionally worn out by the end... I can only imagine what a drain it was on the family. I know it's their job, but they are human beings.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...