Saturday, September 10, 2022

Keeping vigil with the news...

Queen Elizabeth II of England became queen before even "old lady" me was conceived, much less born.  I was not even "on the way" when her father, George VI passed and she became a very young Queen at 25.  Before she was officially crowned, I was conceived, born, and probably was crawling or even pulling myself up on furniture, because pomp and pageantry take time to plan and execute.

As soon as the news announced her passing, I thought, "who do I call?"  And landed on my elder sister, who was a year old when the Queen lost her father.  We remembered how our grandmother dressed her daughters based on what the young princesses were wearing, through the 1930's... somewhere in the family archives, there are pictures.  I thought about mom's honeymoon photos, from two years after the Queen's marriage began... mom in her flannels, tramping and feeding a chipmunk in the mountains... and thinking of the Queen, tramping, shooting, fishing and riding in Scotland... outdoorsy!

The Queen's reign matches the timeline of my own life.  She was born three years before my mother, and my mother passed away 26 years ago... had my mother lived this long, what would life have been like?  It makes one think.

This screen capture from a family portrait of the Windsors (Getty Images) of Queen Elizabeth II in 1972 is one of many where I thought of her life in parallel with my mother's.  Their coloring was similar, too, this turquoise dress being something I could easily see my mom wearing.

I offer my condolences to all my friends in the UK and Commonwealth on the loss of their beloved figurehead.  She was an amazing role model. I also offer my best wishes to the new King Charles III as he begins his duties.  I also offer hopes for the Commonwealth as they transition to this new era, to work through their relationship to the constitutional monarchy.  There are huge questions that have been hanging for decades, out of deference for the person of Elizabeth II, and no doubt they will come to the forefront of political discourse.

Later in the day, I got a bonus phone call from my son.  He was on his way home from a work appointment.  He is working a practicum, which is one of the last check list items toward his MSW.  If all goes well, he will graduate in December.  

In any case, as sometimes happens, he remembered that he has a mother.  As he put it, "this job has me all up in other people's family business, as then I realize I'm neglecting my own family."  I had to laugh as he described how toddlers are quick!  How rapidly a toddler could go from being fully clothed and playing to stripping and running wild out the door!  I laughed because because I remember 35 years ago when that toddler would have been him!  

"I didn't care much for children when I WAS one," he quipped.  That is true, he preferred the company of his elders, even as quite a young child.  Funny thing, when I think back, as a child I preferred my own company more than the company of other children.  I would hide from them, so I could just live with my imagination.  

A decade later, when I acquired much younger siblings, I found I was enchanted by the way children come pre-programmed to learn.  What they learn depends on what they are exposed to.  They tend to naturally follow some form to trial and error scientific method... natural curiosity drives them.  It is awesome.  We tend to forget this as we age and "lock in" to attitudes, only to be reminded when we interact with children again!

A cold front come through here overnight, with some welcome rain.  I slept until after 7, which is very late for me, but I was allowing myself this luxury, knowing that tomorrow I shall be up and on the road by 6, to go volunteer at the Last Blast Triathlon.  

Guess I'm out of news, so just the standard reminders to take care of yourselves:

  • Hydrate
  • Be active
  • Eat to support your immune system
  • Rest
  • Allow yourself to feel... good and bad feelings... and let them depart, too.
Life is good.  Spark on!  🔥💖✨

8 comments:

  1. It's very sad about the Queen. I can't believe that she will no longer be here because she's always been here.

    Our weather is cold and rainy right now. We're going to warm back up to summer weather on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🖤 Weather doesn't seem to know what season it is, does it? But it was glorious this morning!

      Delete
  2. I didn't pay attention too much to the royals but in my mind, the Queen was always just there. She was just part of life and usually one that was so calm and dressed just so. I know I will miss just knowing she was there. All the best to your son with his MSW. Kinda makes me. My feed is still not updating either but I shall keep checking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having lost my mother 26 years ago, I always looked at the Queen as "mom would be about this age now". And you're right, a constant figure, as is true of so many in the public eye... but she was so steady.

      Delete
  3. Your post speaks for many of us. The Queen was a grand lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh, congrats as your son reaches his goad or earning his MSW> Quite an accomplishment.

    Queen Elizabeth was a remarkable woman. For living under such scrutiny her whole life, and being a Mum going through all you go through with kids, I applaud her calmness and level-headedness!

    And here’s to a good weekend. This is a day of remembrance (writing this response on 9/11) and pray that lessons about living peacefully are learned!!!

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Observed 9/11 as a volunteer at a triathlon. I'm thinking it will be my last, as I shall blog about.

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...