Thursday, May 25, 2023

A peaceful morning paddle

 For whatever reason, I was just exhausted on Wednesday.  Managed a couple of loads of laundry, and that's it.  Wednesday afternoon, kid sis waved off the weekly walk, needing some decompression time herself.  I was just as glad, as I had worked out the differences with the kayak rental place, and had a boat reserved for Thursday morning at 9.

Thursday morning, the forecast was saying the 9 a.m. hour had a 30% chance of rain, but the sun was out and bright with just a hint of clouds in the West.  So I went down to the glossy, calm lake and had a lovely solo paddle.

As usual, I parked on the other side of the lake, and walked over to the launch point, then paddled around the corner to see what I could see.  This early in the season, the algae hasn't taken over our little lake yet, but with the drought conditions the water level is low.  And at 9 a.m. and about 70℉ with just enough breeze to feel cool on the water, it was very pleasant.

I set the RunKeeper to "other" and mapped the whole activity as one, rather than trying to break it up into walk and "row".  I actually got a decent map out of it by doing so.

I tried taking a few photos, but was having "technical difficulties" with the waterproof case on the phone, so they are fuzzy.  Several folks were fishing from the shore so I was being careful to avoid tangling their lines.  One pair of kayakers were fishing from their craft.  In the end, I was generally just enjoying the paddle.

The best photo, in terms of clarity, was the lake from my parking spot, framed by the spring foliage.

Geese and ducks were bobbing about.
Gal and her canine companion.  They could have taught Carl a thing or two about riding on a kayak!

This one of the pedestrian bridge I walk over between the parking lot and the launch point was taken from a distance out on the lake.  It was about my turn around point, as I was starting to notice the precursors to blisters on my right thumb.  Early paddles in the season lead to this if I'm not careful, so I came in at about 45 minutes.  

What a peaceful start to my day!  I'll have some luncheon, and this afternoon head over for "kitty medication routine training" as starting Monday I'll be in charge of the morning shift at my sister's place.  

Life is indeed good.  Spark on!




14 comments:

  1. Glad you took the rest day you needed.

    Your solo paddle sounds wonderful! Lovely pictures. Love the geese and ducks bobbing in the water.

    Glad you had a good paddle.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Rest of the day went well, too. Hope yours did, too!

      Delete
  2. So nice. I wish my back would allow me to sit in a kayak, but no such luck. Old cracked sacrum and broken coccyx. I may try a canoe which would allow me a seated position with my knees bent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumb question, but what about a stand up paddle board? They rent those, too, but I haven't been brave enough to try, yet.

      Delete
    2. I would LOVE to do that, it's such a good core workout! I'd need warm waters through, as I'm not at all functional in cold water for the inevitable dunking. Living at the shore, I never surfed with my friends as I hated the cold Atlantic water. Should I take a trip to the Florida Keys again, I'd try it along the mangroves where alligators do not live and sharks usually stay away. Most lakes here in NJ are not conducive to boarders as the nuts drive crazy in their boats.

      Delete
    3. Our little puddle of a lake on a morning like yesterday would have been fine for a paddle board. In fact, on this lake, they do paddle board pilates classes!

      Delete
  3. That must have been a nice peaceful morning on the water. The picture look very peaceful.

    Sometimes you need a rest day to replenish yourself. It's been pretty busy couple of weeks for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with a day of rest. If we listen, our bodies usually tell us what is needed.

    Wonderful photos. The trees and foliage creating a frame, is spectacular.

    Are you able to wear gloves when you paddle to help avoid the blisters?

    A peaceful way to start the day, indeed. I hope you were able to carry the calm through the remainder of the day. Have a great evening. 💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried using biking gloves, and it just moves the location of the blisters. LOL! Anyway, if I gradually ramp up the time paddling, I develop resistance to the blister development.

      Delete
  5. Wow, such a great paddle! And lovely pictures too. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Meditation on the water, when it's that calm.

      Delete
  6. And now you've given me an earworm.

    Did you ever sing the song about the "bear went over the mountain to see what he could see"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Had not thought about that bear for a while, but of course he was a fixture of my childhood adventures!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...