Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Uneven joggers

 

Saturday afternoon I woke from my nap to a message from my nephew-in-law.  He wanted to try a first attempt at a training run.  I warned him I have not even walked over two miles in a while.  He warned me that his "best" mile used to be five minutes.  OK, so 23-year-old speed demon, out of training, meets 70-year-old overweight out of shape former triathlete.

We made it work, with intervals around the lake.  Very easy intervals.  Based on traffic and available landmarks, I'd point out something 25 yards ahead or so, and send him running on ahead to wait for me to catch up.  Must have looked a little strange to the folks we passed, one by one, but we made it work.  Walk for four minutes or more in between the jogs.

In the end, we averaged a bit under 18-minute miles.  I told him to let me know when he wants to do it again.  He messaged me to remember to stretch and hydrate.  And I feel pretty OK today (other than the air quality and allergies).

I took another nap Sunday afternoon and was feeling motivated to eat better Monday.  If I'm going to support this kid in his triathlon dreams, I'd better make sure I'm in at least enough shape to be a cheerleader!

Memorial Day cookout at son & DIL's place is set for 2 p.m. next Sunday.  

Monday I finished devouring a book:  The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  Just what I needed to rekindle my reading goals of 2023.  A "can't put it down" kind of a read, where you know there are twists, but you have no idea what kind.  If you are a Desantis fan of "don't say gay", this book is probably on your banned list.  

Tuesday was the usual workout with the trainer.  As I was getting in the car after my workout, to drive home, the phone rang.  Welcome to the modern age, eh?  I saw it was my elder sister, and since I've been expecting her to check in about kitty care (she and a teacher friend are heading out on a decompression trip soon), I picked it up.

The trainer is headed to visit his son, daughter in law, and grandchildren over Memorial weekend, so I'll have a couple of days to fill in with other activities.  Working on getting a kayak rental for Thursday morning but having some technical difficulties.  I e-mailed the owner, and we'll get it worked out, I'm sure.

That's about it... making things work, a little more active, a little different sleep patterns... Summertime is almost here!

Life is good.  Spark on!



10 comments:

  1. "Must have looked a little strange to the folks we passed, one by one, but we made it work,]." Caused me think of the "Friends" episode when Phoebe's running style embarrassed Rachael.

    Memorial Day cookouts. The official start of summer gatherings.

    Enjoy another outing with the Mother's Day gift.

    Have a pleasant evening. πŸ›ΆπŸ‘¨πŸ»‍🍳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched much of "Friends"... don't know why. Some shows weren't my hubby's cup of tea, and weren't worth the effort of overcoming his preferences. I might have to make watching the old series a project, but it's not on my streaming service... so, there's that.

      Yes! Summer's starting point!

      Delete
  2. I would like to barbecue outside for the holiday. Not sure what to make yet, but I'll figure it out.

    Hope you can get out in the water this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner helped me get the reservation scheduled for Thursday, so I have a kayak hour in place of the trainer workout.

      Good luck with deciding what to have for your holiday feed!

      Delete
  3. Good job to you and your nephew, Barb! You got out there and made it work!

    That will be nice to attend your DS and DIL’s cook out! Fun.

    Yes, the air quality has been less than stellar. Just not spending a lot of time outside, unfortunately. Hopefully the smoke and haze is going to get pushed out of here soon! Very windy today.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that the air cleans up its act, Barb. So many folks are impacted by that smoke! The wind can either help or hurt.

      Delete
  4. I am out there again too, let things go for a bit too long. We can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have someone to work with! There's a motivator for you. I'm trying to get back on the workout wagon myself.
    Darned allergies are rampant here.
    Enjoy your holiday picnic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the allergies... mine seem to have lessened... at least for now. But if I go out on the deck where those blooms pictured in the last blog are... all bets are off.

      Nephew plans on going out again on Sunday, but that's a conflict for me, so... sometime next week, maybe. We shall see. And in the meantime, I have internal motivation so I'll be ready.

      Hope you have a good holiday weekend.

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...