Saturday, May 13, 2023

The Bride picked this photo as a favorite

 

The bride posted some of her favorite photos from the wedding, and this was one that "pricked up my ears" because the wind pricked up Carl's.  You can see his collar holding the rings, and his humans look amazingly happy.  The longer it's been since that wedding (three weeks already!) the less that wind chill impacts the memories.  If Carl's ears had been cropped like his mama dog's, he would look very Doberman in this photo!  You can see what the ears might have done.

Friday was Carl's day to have the stitches removed.  He looks very happy in most recently shared video.

My son and I still share the same relationship we have his whole life.  I asked if he would be OK being executor and Health care power of attorney for me.  His response was essentially "OK. But put it all in writing, and be specific.  I don't trust myself to make the right decisions for you under duress."  When I assured him it was all in black and white and specific, he closed out with, "Now just don't ever need it, and don't ever die, and we'll be fine."

I assured him that I can't die for a while.  I have to at the very least outlive my cats, since his wife is allergic to them!  Having a purpose such as taking care of animals I think does keep us taking better care of ourselves.  

Friday's moment of personal pride:  overcoming my reluctance to pick up the phone and make appointments.  I made two; one to get my blood work checked again, next month, the other to have the brick mason look at the facing on my house and see if it's something that his firm can handle (and of course what it will set me back if I hire them).

Saturday morning two things happened.  The brick mason came and looked over the potential work which is mostly on the West side of my house.  He examined, explained the damage, what he would plan to do to correct it, and estimated about how much it would cost.  Since he and his crew did such a fine job on the neighbor's house last year, I'm not even going to call anyone else.  I booked him for mid- to late-June to come out, try to match mortar and brick colors, and replace the two brick columns that hold my landing lights, as well as grinding out and refilling, replacing a few bricks, fixing cracks, etc.  I feel like one of those brick columns has been lifted from my shoulders as I for sure could not do this work myself!

The arch above the front porch, for example.  Skilled labor and forms required.
Pillar has come away from the skirt wall.  The brick mason says he'd simply remove and replace the two pillars at its corners.
The other pillar isn't quite as far separated, but probably replacing the pillar is the best solution for the long term.

The arches around the garage doors also need some work, which may or may not require replacing the bricks.

The second event was as the brick mason was getting ready to leave:  a coyote came trotting into the neighborhood, bold as can be!  I wasn't quick enough with the camera, so no photos.  He trotted through the front yards across the street, then ducked behind the houses, causing the fenced dog across the street to go nuts with his barking.  The coyote then darted into the park behind those houses.

I went to check on the cats.  Rubia was inside, but The Prisoner was out.  Prisoner stayed away until about 2 p.m.  Considering he hides from Carl whenever Carl comes to visit, and stays out for days and nights at a time, I trust that he's bright enough to climb a tree to keep away from the coyote.  However, I feel better when they are both inside for the night!

Life is good.  Keep on Sparkin'!






14 comments:

  1. What a precious picture of the newlyweds and Carl! Happiness exudes!

    Your son had a great answer to your question re: being executor and Health Care Power of Attorney. Very similar to what I said to MY parents! But you’re right . . . having fur babies is indeed motivation to stay fit, stay healthy, stay ALIVE!

    So glad that you found someone to do your brick work. Wishing you luck.

    Rubia looks sooooo regal! Hope that The Prisoner returns soon.

    Hugs and Happy Mother’s Day!

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Mother's Day to you as well, Barb! I'm sure Clara has an extra appreciation for you this year... I thought of the year my mother's day was spent at the hospital while my daughter in law (the first, now ex-) had emergency surgery. I figured my mother's day gift that year was the gift of feeling fully a mom. "They still need us."

      Delete
  2. Fantastic photo! New wife has good taste.

    Good luck with the repair construction. No matter how careful the workers, it's usually messy. New roof installed here 10 days ago. Additional repairs have a looong way yet to go.

    We have coyotes that travel along the back edge of the yard that butts up to the woods behind us. They come around dusk when it's not quite dark. My dog goes absolutely bananas. He stays well back away from them and they are not the least bit afraid.

    Happy Mother's Day! May your day be filled with love and blessings! 💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I have an artistic daughter in law.

      I'm glad for the update about your repairs. Roof work is not just messy, it's noisy, too. Hope the rest of the work moves along as well as can be.

      To get into our neighborhood, that coyote had to cross one busy street from the park that holds the lake I used to run around, pre-pandemic, and still kayak on.

      Delete
  3. My kids had the same response. You'll be around forever. But, they know the value of a well-written will, etc as my Dad was a big proponent.
    The picture of the three is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these legal things can be a pain in the tuckas, but NOT having them is worse. Nobody wants to accept the mortality of their special protectors!

      My son, when tested, went to exactly the right drawer and found the folder. Knowing where they are, you can hunt them down, even under duress.

      My mom was also a big proponent of having legal ducks in a row, and she had it all ready. When she went first, Dad was afraid to touch any of the arrangements. He was gone only 3 years later.

      I love that photo, too. The photographer did a great job!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful picture of the happy couple and Carl.

    Now that I think about it I know my mom has everything in order, but I'm not sure where she put it. I'm going to have to ask her about that.

    Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's those little details... knowing where things are... passwords, logins, that's another little thing for your successors to need to be able to access. My brother was lucky that his daughter has bada$$ hacking skills and was into his online life less than a day after his passing. Sometimes it's good to have a white hat in the family!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures and I would be like you making sure the kitties are safe and sound no matter how clever they are. Better safe! Great to hear those brick repairs are set up. Have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are (thankfully) their sassy selves, unperturbed by the presence of the "visitor" to their park.

      Delete
  6. Great photo! I am also behind on several of my health-maintenance visits, but starting to catch up this week with (gulp!) colonoscopy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have another year before that one comes due again. Not fun, but not as terrible as it could be, either, considering how it can actually prevent the disease in the process of screening!

      Delete
  7. My sister doesn’t have permission to die either, neither from me nor my nephew! I’m sure we can include the pup, too.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People vary in their comfort level with even TALKING about mortality. In the end, permission or not, we'll each cross the finish line, though. Anyway, straightened out the shipping thing with the printers, so son at least won't get my paperwork in his mailbox!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...