Monday, May 29, 2023

Catching up on Memorial Day

 My big revelation for Friday, May 26, 2023 is that barbed wire was invented the same year Nebraska became a state!  Learned from Chrono.  

I find this game amusing and play it once a day.  Then I take a medium term memory test and play the same game on a different device, and if I learned from earlier play, I should be able to beat it again, quicker!  But, of course, I don't always remember everything.

On Thursday afternoon I went to visit my sister, the one with whom I swap kitty care.  She is also the sister who has adopted the family iris raising hobby.  She has taken pains to try to re-create a garden with the hybrids that our paternal grandparents created and nurtured.

She has added a few varieties over the years, and some of them have become favorites of mine, so going over to see them is a treat.

We took a "proof we were together" selfie, as the two of us only do this a couple of times a year!



Suddenly, I found myself at Sunday... whatever happened to Saturday?  To be honest, it got consumed by a trip to the grocery store and a binge-streaming of Yellowstone season 5 (I'm guessing this is the first half) that showed up on Peacock this week.

I made my classic Greek salad for Sunday afternoon's cookout over at my son's place.  

Meanwhile, I put the leadup to the Indianapolis 500 on in the background.  This was my dad's thing, and it was generally listened to on the radio at the end of the church picnic, car radios.  My dad was a fan of automotive sports.  His dream was that cars would be speeding by outside his grade school window at 100 miles an hour.  He told his teacher so, and this is one of the family stories that has been repeated long enough for it to be "settled fact" in the minds of at least his older children.

What?  Did it happen?  Well, not entirely.  The school building is gone, and an interstate highway runs by where it used to stand.  The speed limit in that section is 65 mph, as it's within the city limits of Omaha, Nebraska.

My contribution, ready for the feast. I left for my drive across town before the race concluded.  I lazily looked up the results on Monday, Memorial Day.  Most of the names were "new to me", although they must be good drivers to even be in that race.

It was a lovely cookout on Sunday.  Carl had been taken to a beginning agility class in the morning, and they are thinking about whether to sign him up for more.  It's expensive, like hiring a personal trainer for a dog!  Or preschool for kids.



Carl's snout is all healed up and we're waiting for the fur to regrow over the spot where the stitches were.  We'll see if the fur grows back in black or white.  We could have a "Harry Potter" look if it comes in white.

The birds all came outside in their cages.  Even Ollie, who lives with Lacey's parents came along in a travel cage.  It was my first time meeting Ollie.  Ollie likes to watch videos, but he was not into showing off his vocal skills on Sunday.


Ollie is a lineated parakeet, for those who hadn't read the long-ago blog and don't care to dig for it.  He chirped to me when we first greeted one another.

Scout and Kiwi, the cockatiels, also came out on the deck in their cage.  They were very vocal.


These two live with my son and DIL, and Carl, but they live in a room where Carl is not allowed, unless they are in a cage, of course.  I get treated to videos of them perching on the ceiling fans, or hopping about while the crack between the fridge and counter is "baffled" by a plastic glass.  I've learned a bit about birds since my son's association with his wife and her folks.

Speaking of birds... my niece in Utah is raising orphan mallards this year:  a clutch of seven!  Their mother was killed while they were quite tiny, and the ducklings were handed over to my niece and her family to raise.  They have experience with poultry, and a few years ago raised a mallard for release.  That mama mallard came back to hatch her broods on their land, including 13 ducklings last Summer.

The videos of the new babies having their first swim outdoors a week ago were precious!  I'm amazed at how fast they have grown.

The drive home from the cookout was accompanied by some welcome mist and sprinkles.  Unfortunately, on my end of town, it was evaporated almost immediately!

Monday morning I had set my alarm for 5:30 because of the cat medication schedule at my sister's house.  They expect their medication and breakfast around 6:30 a.m.

As I started my drive, I was thinking how much I love summer mornings, when it's light and the roads are not yet busy.

The kitties were happy to see me, and the one who needs the meds ate hers, obediently while the other one got plain treats.  Meds, and no food for either until the one eats her meds.  Clean out the litter box.  

Then breakfast.  Proof of life, Memorial Day.  Their mom and her friend made it 370 miles down the road, taking the scenic route through Western Nebraska.

That brings you up to date with my life.  Here's hoping all of you have been enjoying the holiday weekend (if you're in the US) and reserving a part of your consciousness to remember that this is the day we honor those who paid the ultimate price for our freedoms.

Life is good.  Keep Sparking!




16 comments:

  1. It's too bad your sister is not closer. I have many varieties of iris that I am no longer able to weed and care for. They need a good home.

    I had to Google agility classes for dogs. Is the plan to enter Carl into some shows? The duckies are darling. I wish I could get mine (metaphorically speaking) all in a row. ☺️

    Today was meditation and connecting with the Universe by way of the lawn tractor. Sprayed for weeds and then mowed almost 3 acres. It was a nice day out. Heat wave predicted for the remainder of the week and into the weekend. Haircut scheduled for tomorrow morning and then working inside until/if the heat breaks.

    Enjoy your week!! 🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are planning on shows for Carl, but there is this new place in town that offered an intro class for $5, and he's always in need of mental / physical exercise. The place is very near to my house... I might head over this week and find out if I can "gift" them some classes.

      Nice days are to be celebrated! Well done.

      Delete
  2. PHOENIX1949

    Some barbed wire trivia. It was also called the devil's rope and not welcome in many of the wide open spaces. Many years ago while on a road trip we visited Devil's Rope & Route 66 Museum (https://www.barbwiremuseum.com/). Some barbed wire is quite valuable but alas the 4 coils we had from the late 1800's immigrant homestead weren't any of them.

    This month Fort Hood was renamed Fort Cavazos in honor of the Army's first Latino four-star general. My father-in-law was career Army and his family lived on the base for three years.

    Spouse and I moving along on the cancer journey. Dealing with this definitely trivializes prior concerns. It's true - "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and, It's All Small Stuff." Rough times but filled with loving support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday's Chrono trivia was that Alaska was sold to the US by Russia in the same year that barbed wire was invented (a nasty thing, by the way, and so is electric wire, which is also used on farms around here), and that Nebraska became a state. My ears are pricked up, so to speak for all the events of 1867 now.

      It's going to take a while to get used to the name changes of bases... so many former service members knew them by the old names... and several are changing all at once! Fort Cavazos it is, and it might be the first one I internalize, as my son deployed from there and the "most horrific day" of his life was there, as well.

      So glad you and your DH are being supported through that cancer thing. BIG things make all other things tiny! When my sister went through that... I mean, you stopped breathing for a bit, and just wanted her to get through it. She did, and is thriving today... here's to early detection and gathering around those who are dealing with it!

      Delete
  3. Great to catch up! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too! I'm all jumbled up on weekdays, having just had a holiday weekend.

      Delete
  4. LOVELY picture of your sister and you1 Those iris’ are absolutely lovely.

    Ohhhhh Greek Salad is so good. I bet there were no leftovers! I’ve been known to just make a meal of Greek Salad!

    Awwww, Glad that Carl’s nose is healing.

    Even the birds got to enjoy the great outdoors. Ollie is beautiful.

    Your sister’s cats have an early wake up call! I’m sure they appreciate your TLC.

    How wonderful that your niece is raising those ducklings. Awesome.

    Yes, yesterday was a day of remembrance. That’s always sobering, but tinged with much gratitude mixed in.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... the cats are expecting to be medicated and fed when sis gets up for the day, and again at supper time. I have rediscovered getting out and about early, and it reminds me how much I love that early "just waking up" time of day on the streets.

      Delete
  5. Another note on barbed wire. It hurts! My first childhood home backed up to a convent with a farm. My brother and I, ages 4 and 5, snuck into the pasture to see the cows. One turned towards us, in my eye, chasing us and we hightailed it back through the barbed wire fence. I raked my back and tore my shirt and skin. Never did that again!
    I love the picture of you and your sister. The irises are so pretty, it's a shame they don't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, that barbed wire... I remember my cousins teaching me how to get through both the barbed wire and how to recognize the electric fences on their farm. You simply CANNOT hurry your way through the barbed wire!

      Thanks... my sister always mourns when the iris are done for the year, then sighs and quotes the grandmother she was named after: "well, at least there are the peonies".

      Delete
    2. LOL on the peonies! I moved them from oy first home to my current one but due to some lack of care on my part, lost them. They are so pretty.

      Delete
    3. The amusement park Grandma used to take us to was named Peony Park, and the park was enclosed in rows of the plants. Whatever happened to amusement parks? The local ones seem to have all disappeared, in favor of HUGE ones like Six Flags, Disney or Universal Studios. When I was a kid, there was Peony Park in Omaha, and I forget the name of the one in Council Bluffs, but it was there. Both gone "Poof" now.

      Delete
  6. The flowers are beautiful. My mom loves irises and we have a few here and there, but what your sister does is stunning. It's giving me ideas

    I did watch a car race on Sunday, but not Indy. I'm a Formula 1 fan. It sounds like a wonderful holiday weekend you had.

    Enjoy your day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indy / Formula 1 - they're cousins. Glad you have some ideas... dreaming and making the dream happen!

      Delete
  7. Loved all of the pictures, Barb!! The iris is one of my favorite flowers; your Sis has a lovely garden! Many decades ago, my Mom had a garden of purple and yellow ones…
    Sounds like you had a wonderful Memorial Day celebration with your family…and Carl, and the feathered-friends, as well… tasty looking Greek salad!
    Also, didn’t get to comment the other day…I am so proud of you with your kayaking…looks so peaceful and relaxing!
    Enjoy this day that we are sharing! Eissa7 (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. I hope that your weekend was peaceful as well. This week I'm wading through the "time change" of having to be up and out the door to deal with kitty medications for my sis. Halfway through the week now!

      Delete

Toys and their spaces

For every plaything, there is a "spot".  Ember has decided that cardboard tubes mommy gives her to chew to destruction should be p...