Sunday, June 18, 2023

Happy Father's Day

Too much in the news is about men behaving badly.  Father's Day is to focus on men doing good.  

My dad and mom married young by today's standards.  He was 21, she was 19.  They became parents about a year and a half later, and remained married until they passed on.  In between, they produced and nurtured five children.  

When this photo was taken, Dad would have been about 32 years old.  He already had three children, and in fact, the photo was taken by my older sister.  

I remember Dad having a dry sense of humor, an intellectual side, and playing with language a lot.  He was proud as punch of all his children, and took up going to concerts or diving meets, or whatever his kids were into.  In short he was a dad.  

He was not one of the modern day change the diapers, drop the kids off as school kind of dad... he was a "take the kids on adventures to give their mom a break" kind of dad.  He would take us camping.  He would share what he knew of history.  He took special joy in the local history of our state.

My son's dad, on the other hand, was a hands-on from birth kind of dad.  He chose my son's clothing, saw that he got fed, and cared for him while I was off at the office working.  Never mind that when I had a split shift and came home for a few hours, I would be handed the baby who needed changing and asked what was for the next meal.  In a way, we reversed roles during my son's youngest years.

My dad's been gone for nearly 24 years now, and I can still hear many of his thoughts rattling around in my head.  

May today be a good one for Dads of all stripes.  And may their children be blessed in recognizing the value of each of them, in their own unique way.

Happy Father's Day!  Keep Sparking!

14 comments:

  1. Sweet tribute to your dad. I was very lucky in that department alsol
    PHOENIX1949

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet tribute. Happy Father's Day!πŸ€—

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a wonderful Dad, too. He and Mom were a real team. Married 64 yrs.

    Is that a pocket protector in your Dad's shirt pocket? My Dad, an engineer, was NEVER without a pocket protector nor pens. LOL

    Happy Father's Day

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pocket protectors... oh, yes! Dad, of reporter heritage, never without an automatic pencil and small notebook at hang. I look closely at that photo and think, "I'm not sure" whether that's a pocket protector or a small envelope (he carried a lot of those around, too).

      Delete
  4. Love the 'hat', I assume he developed his own film.
    I bet you had a fun upbringing! I did too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did, and one of our favorite things as kids was if we got to go into the darkroom with him. It smelled of chemicals and it was indeed DARK, and daddy counted out the seconds of the various chemical baths. You had to be on your best behavior to get that privilege, and it would be one of the first things taken away if you were not!

      Delete
  5. A beautiful tribute to your dad. It sounds like you had a loving and fun dad. Those are the best ones.

    Have a great day! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From all your past memories of your dad, you had a loving and fun one, too. They shape us, our dads!

      (( hugs back ))

      Delete
  6. Very, very well said! I loved reading the memories. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are themes in memories, differing, yet similar, aren't there? Have a good day, and week to come!

      Delete
  7. ❤️❤️❤️ Ace

    ReplyDelete

Mother's Day

  My daughter in law spent Mother's Day with her mom and sent her husband (my son) over to spend some time with me!  He brought Carl alo...