Sunday, June 25, 2023

Things that make one smile

 I got challenged by a cousin in Montana to post ten photos and challenge ten other people... you know the kind.  This time it was to be photos of things that bring me joy.  It's supposed to be a "no comments, just the photo".  Today (Sunday) was my 8th day, and I had a burst of whimsey. I posted a photo that would require explanation as to why it brings me joy!


It's of my little car Dexter's odometer, taken Friday morning, when I turned the key to begin my trip to take care of my sister's kitties.

My little car, all on his own, makes me smile.  He is a Honda Fit, bought new, a 2012 model.  I bought him as a reward for completing my second half marathon, in 2012.  So he's 11 years old.  That odometer reading declares him to belong to a little old lady who has lived through 3 years of reduced movement, due to the pandemic.  Average it out.  That's only 4,364 miles a year.

Who drives that little?  Seriously!  This amuses me, and makes me smile.

Having reliable transport makes me smile.  Still being able to drive, and be independent, makes me smile.   

I self-edit my trips to allow for some decreasing abilities.  In two weeks I will be having the eyes looked at by someone who can help evaluate them for possible cataract surgery.  I've been waiting for the doctors to declare the cataracts ripe for six or seven years now.  I have stopped doing races at least in part due to the vision issues.   

But just looking at that lovely round number, sitting in the garage, at start of my day... brings to mind another source of joy:  math!  I've always loved numbers, counting, patterns, and puzzles.  

So in short, the photo itself, as a source of joy is a puzzle.  Which also makes me smile.  What makes you smile?

Life is good!  Spark on!

12 comments:

  1. Sweet!
    I've been known to pull over to celebrate those odometer milestones.
    Funny, for the woman who put 35,000 a year on a car, my newest purchase has had less than 10,000 a year which included 3 major road trips.
    I count it in tanks of gas now. Filled mine 3 weeks ago and maybe will do so on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Similar: if I fill more than once a month, it's been a high-activity month for me. And my tank only holds 10 gallons. And I fill when it's at the half mark.

      Delete
  2. PHOENIX1949 here. Smiling because my 2015 Ford Escape recently reached 40,000 miles. It was purchased with about 21,000 miles in late 2017 after serving as a rental car so in 5-1/2 years I've put on 19,000. With recent HUGE auto policy rate increases here it makes it tempting to not insure two vehicles BUT I can't easily drive the spouse's 4WD behometh and like having something in the driveway I can drive on the rare occasions that I do.

    Our heat is very oppressive these days here in Central Texas. This week our days will be well over 100 with a heat index of 110+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been seeing Texas highs (and tornadoes, too) on the national news. You're in our prayers.

      And little cars seem better for those of us who are "little" people! I would not want to be climbing up into a big 4WD, either, or climbing out!

      Have a joyful day!

      Delete
  3. Fingers crossed that the surgery can happen for you. My mom has that problem and I wish they would take care of it for her. She does get shots in her eye that help out.

    Hopefully our crazy weather is done and we'll just have the heat now.

    Have a great Sunday! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to me that Colorado has been hotter than ever in the forecasts. I don't remember Colorado getting into the 100's when I was a kid and we drove up there (pre-AC) to be cooler in the 90's! So yes, hope your weather settles down.

      Delete
  4. Cataract surgery allows one to sing "I Can See Clearly Now", especially driving after dark.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0cAWgTPiwM
    Don't miss the cloudy vision. 👀🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be happy if they say I'm ready and set a date, for sure. I notice the difference between what was and what is, and have heard many success stories from friends and relatives. I know there are risks, but... hoping that for me it will be another case of "but the benefit is worth it".

      Delete
  5. I can totally relate to your car making you smile! After all, it is like a good friend, isn’t it?! My 51/2 year old Subaru Outback makes me happy…I have put more miles on it than you have in half the amount of years but I do intend to (fingers crossed) keep it for many more years.
    As far as cataracts, I had both of my eyes done about 6 years ago with no issues whatsoever. I had lenses implanted…one distance and one reading…and can see perfectly; no need for any glasses. Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that it goes as smoothly for me as it did for my sister... she, too, had corrective lens inserted in the eye she had done, and she has always had one eye corrected for reading and the other for distance. Seems to work well for her brain!

      Delete
  6. Us too, we only fill it about once a month probably put as little as you on travels. Once in awhile we put a longer trip but usually for other people, like picking up our daughter at the airport or meeting my sister for lunch but they are rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That low total included three trips to Wisconsin and one to Florida (four days to drive down there to run a half marathon... after that one supreme adventure of a drive, I flew the next two trips to Florida).

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...