Friday, June 9, 2023

What a difference it is getting a jab these days.


Three years ago, when the Covid-19 vaccines were new, there were big clinics, held in public venues.  Nurses and PAs volunteered to give the jabs to protect as many as possible as quickly as possible.  
Since then, we've been through the mutations and strains, the anti-vaxxers and the vax-mandators and the maskers and anti-maskers, the fear and the bravado.  Without much fanfare now, they decide to allow folks to get a second bi-valent booster and I got my email from the health department.  I expect that come the autumn, we'll potentially see a combined Covid-19 and flu vaccine as this phase passes.

Wednesday, nobody else was wearing a mask, even though the e-mail told me to, so I was wearing mine.  I felt like a fish out of water.  The nice public health nurse who gave me my jab asked if I was masking because of the email and I confirmed.  "Do you still have it on your phone?  I want to show it to our IT people, we've been having trouble figuring out why some people get it on their email and some don't."  Sure... so a tech issue clue for them, not just an arm to jab.  She assured me, masking is no longer required to get the shot.

One thing getting my shots through public health channels did for me was to show me who all is relying on them for services.  I've always had job related insurance (until I retired) so coming to public clinics has not been my normal experience.  It was awesome... families... who come in as an entire family:  mom and three kids.  Mom, grandma and grandpa, and four or five kids.  Mom, dad and two kids.  Public health employees explaining things to the clients in various languages, or explaining to the English speaker in the group that they were looking for an interpreter for the patient's language.  Everybody kind, everybody patiently waiting their turn.  One question about immigrants:  what is there to be afraid of?

I suppose one might fear being overwhelmed by numbers, and that's a possibility.  But it all seemed very harmonious when I was there.

Everything was hunky-dory following the shot, and I had a pretty normal day.  Had my Wednesday walk with my sis.  The side effects that I have come to recognize showed up about 12 hours post-shot.  Fever.  Highest I measured was 102℉, around midnight.  Took Tylenol clone, several times, appropriate hours apart.  Did NOT sleep well.  Waved off the trainer appointment Thursday morning, when I took the final Tylenol and put myself back to bed.

Gradually, over time, I got up, napped, got up, went to pick up a prescription when I was feeling particularly OK.  Then another nap.  It's now almost 36 hours since the shot and I'm pretty much getting over the side effects.

Anyway, as of Friday morning... back to regular life.  Onward.

Life is good.  Spark on.


12 comments:

  1. Currently, our county heath center is the only place to get the booster. It's still not offered in the local doctors' offices. Got mine several weeks ago, and for the first time, adverse reactions were minimal. The sad thing was our little community health center now has a locked security entry with a metal detector and camera. Everyone now has to have an appointment. No more walk-ins allowed. The worker who opened the door for me said that several weeks prior, an armed anti-vax protestor showed up. After a lockdown and his removal by local police, security procedures were put in place. Just so sad!!

    While they didn't have current information, it was believed they would be able to offer the combined vaccine in the fall.

    It's wonderful that you are back to regular life. Enjoy Friday and the weekend. 🤗💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry that those extra security measures are needed in so many places these days! You're in a more rural area than I am. The local pharmacies have got their supplies before the health department in our town for the last two cycles.

      Hope you have a good weekend, too.

      Delete
  2. A lot of that distraction is foreign to me and shows the political differences in regions. I got my first booster in June last year. The second in October. Appointments made at the local CVS, walk in, jab, and didn't have to wait for side effects with the last booster. I've never seen protestors in my neck of NJ.
    I got my natural booster via Covid-19 virus the beginning of May which tells me the booster wore off after 8 months. That should get me into fall with the new type boosters.
    Covid is out there, probably lurking on my grandkids who have much better immune systems that I do. Those slightly runny noses that invariably get wiped on sleeves and hands (uh, I washed my hands, Nana) most likely were my downfall. I am grateful as heck for those boosters so I can still get snuggles and shoulder to shoulder reading of books or simple discussions with someone under 13.

    Have a great day all.

    We've been inside for 2 days as we live in the worse stream of the wildfire smoke. I was looking for the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse on Wednesday as the sky was orange. My fears from all those '60's and '70's protests I attended have come to the surface. I'm keeping a hopeful thought we can figure this out before the rising oceans take care of the fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a community that is pretty much "immigrant central" for refugees. My sis works in a public school where she deals with quite a few languages: her first question about my visit to the health department was "how many languages did you hear"? I heard Spanish, of course, and a couple of others.

      Many sympathies for the air quality issues. We had our swath of Canadian wildfire smoke a couple of weeks ago, and regularly this time of year get drift up from controlled burns in Kansas. But while it played havoc on my sinus passages, it never got as bad as those new photos of NYC!

      Hope it blows off soon. As for the long-term, I think here in the middle of the country (although we are quite a ways West of what y'all back east consider the midwest)... need to brace ourselves for climate migration incoming.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Barb, everything I read indicates there will be a combo vaccine – COVID and flu. AND there is supposed to also be a vaccine for RSV (causes bronchitis, and more serious pneumonia)

    Sorry you have the fever, but glad that the Tylenol took care of it and that you’re feeling more energetic.

    Here’s to a good weekend!

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a good weekend to you, as well! The fever is gone by now, of course, and there's a busy week ahead. Had to get that jab before the blood draw next Wed. LOL!

      Delete
  4. I still mask up whenever I walk IN to any place. I’m used to being part of the minority now, but I’m doing it more out of habit, I suppose. Part of the outfit, naked without it. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    I’m thinking I’ll get my jab early on Juneteenth and give myself the week “off” from most responsibilities to cater to the side effects.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart woman! I carefully timed this one in some ways, but feel relieved to have done it.

      Delete
  5. I've been wondering if we should get another one. We don't mask as much, but I always in the doctor's. I'm always catching something there. I totally understand feeling like a fish out of water. That's how it is when I'm grocery shopping. I'm usually the only one wearing it in the store, but I just do me.

    Have a wonderful weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's one less thing to worry about. I tried to time it... a week before next blood draw... and between two family gathers, allowing time for those side effects.

      I've got to the point where depending on how crowded the grocery store is I don't mask. If it's crowded... on it goes. I am all for "doing me" to stay safe!

      (( hugs back ))

      Delete
  6. I always wondered what if we embraced our new arrivals instead of being afraid. They don't take our jobs as far as I can tell, they seem to take the yucky jobs that we don't want to do which is a blessing. I got the email about the booster but haven't followed up on it. The only place I mask now is going to visit mom because it is required still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid is not as big a threat as it was, now that so many are vaxxed or have natural immunity. I'm gradually getting back to my normal introverted lifestyle as opposed to the extreme pandemic version.

      I agree about those hard-working immigrants especially those who work harvesting crops in hot fields, or work in meat packing... hard, sometimes dangerous jobs that most of us would avoid. It's funny about attitudes... when addressed as a faceless word, "immigrants" becomes a threat, but if folks meet the people as individuals, they become just another person.

      Have a good weekend, and here's hoping you're safe from the smoky and wildfires (another good use for a mask).

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...