Sunday, June 4, 2023

Outta gas by Sunday

Old photo from 2021, Carl flopped down after a walk outside in the heat.  But it captures how I'm feeling on Sunday:  out of gas, tapped out, exhausted!

Saturday about suppertime I had received the text from my older sister that she made it home, so I was done with my cat-medication duties.  Whew!  

The kids and my co-inlaws had scheduled a Sunday morning kayak outing on a lake on the other side of town, but I was just so bleary on rising (after sleeping in 'til nearly 7) that I bowed out of the adventure.

I delayed deciding until the last possible minute, as Carl was going to be there, and he's a huge draw.  As soon as I messaged them my regrets, I knew I did the right thing.

I haf household chores that I could/should take care of but I didn't even have the oomph for them.  Even after "sleeping in", I took a nap.  

I woke up around 3 p.m. and finally felt a more human level of energy, so tackled grocery shopping.  I found the videos of Carl at the lake, which made me laugh.  He did not capsize any boats today, but he did get muddy water into his mama's kayak.  He acted as a tugboat on a leash in the shallows before successfully getting up onto his daddy's boat.

According to his people, this was Carl's longest successful ride in / on a kayak yet.  They will turn him into a boat-dog eventually!

I'm thinking it was probably a better learning experience for my favorite pup without an extra person to distract him from his purpose.  

The video of him swamping Lacey's boat was pretty funny... it did not sink.  Carl was in the water, towing his Dad's kayak and tried to climb up onto the back of his Mama's.  Shriek and giggles ensued.


Carl got hammock time with his dad after all the water sports were over.  

Here's hoping for a restorative week ahead.  I have two trainer sessions (Tuesday and Thursday) and my second bi-valent Covid-19 booster (Wednesday) scheduled.  That's also part of laying low today, saving up health and energy for anticipated side effects.

Remember to take care of yourselves, and listen to your own needs, not just what you've been invited to do.



 

14 comments:

  1. Must be something in the air. I woke to the alarm and did not want to go about my day. I got up anyway, made myself the deal that I could take tomorrow off, if I did my regular gym day today. My allergies were so bad, I was in a foul mood and couldn’t shake it. I left a bit early.
    I keep delaying my booster, for absolutely no good reason, tooπŸ˜”
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the change in season and the forcing myself into the earlier rising to medicate my sister's cats for a week. Finally a day when I didn't have to get up that early and it's time to make up for it. As for delaying that booster... well... if you want to be ready for a combined flu-covid shot come Fall, now's a good time to boost the Covid one.

      Delete
  2. Yup, I agree something in the air. I could just curl up on the couch and stay put too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange. That’s how I felt yesterday, too. At least today, I feel more energized. Hope you do, too.

    Wow! Carl looks like he’s doing pretty well in that kayak! LOVE the hammock time w/DS after the kayaking! Tiring for human and canine!

    Good luck w/your training sessions and your Covid booster. We had ours and did well, so hoping it goes the same for you.

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I view it as "learning"... he had more control over his choices in boarding the kayak yesterday. In retrospect, the hammock and a boat ride aren't that different... it's getting used to balance on an unstable surface.

      Delete
  4. I hope today finds you feeling better with more energy. πŸ€—πŸ’ž

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Started the day with more energy, got a couple of to-do's off the list. But still moving a bit on the slow side.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like my mom this past weekend. She was exhausted the whole time. Like she said she caught up on some much needed sleep. Have a wonderful week! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be something in the air! Hope your mom is also getting some of that "catch-up" sleep.

      Delete
  6. Carl sure is living the good life…kayaking, hammocks…what a lucky fella!! Good call on your part to bow out; some days I just hit the wall and need rest, too. Hope your side effects are minimal from the Covid jab…Have a nice Tuesday! Eissa7 (Karen)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone! I woke up after some bad sleep, cancelled my gym session, took two naps and had DH pick up dinner. No clue why except maybe I've been doing too much.
    Carl looks good in a kayak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he look good there? I think the kids were inspired by the juggling show they went to the night before, where a dog balanced on a platform strapped to a unicyclist's chest, while the human pedaled around the venue cracking a whip! Talk about desensitizing training!

      Hope you're back to yourself after those naps!

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...