Thursday, June 22, 2023

Look away, look away...

Guider and Foster
look away... from the news.  Sigh.

The submersible... edge of our seats as hope fades.  And on Thursday, they found debris at depth, and have determined that these people have died on their adventure.  Or exploration.  Or experiment.  

While I offer condolences to those left behind, I sort of understand the risk-taking.  After all, I engaged in a couple of dangerous activities (on a much lesser level) myself.  I participated in road races, and in triathlons.  As a spectator, I was present when one young man lost his life doing so.  I have kept track of news clips about those who died while training:  on the bicycle, hit by traffic, in the water, and more personally, my brother passed in the wake of a half marathon almost four years ago now.  It still aches, for those of us left behind, but... we understand the desire to test themselves.  

If one looks back in history, one can find those who took ship to migrate to new shores, or to open trade routes, or just to see what was there.  Crossing an ocean?  Think about those South Pacific Islanders who paddled to new islands!  People in dangerous jobs or trying to better themselves have died in the process.  So, no, I'm not going to say "don't do it".  If we never did anything outside of ourselves, we would not be human.

On the more mundane front:  I'm once again on kitty watch / medication duty for my sister, who is off visiting her more distant daughter, the one who is raising the orphan mallards in Utah.  This morning (Thursday), the kitty that requires medicating turned her nose up at her medication and treat, so I fed her sister Ginger, but not Spice.  I left a note for Jerry, the gent who does the evening shift.  Tomorrow I shall take tuna juice with me!

This is them on an earlier visit this year, when they both were happily consuming their breakfast.

Wednesday it was my every five months dental cleaning.  This one with the periodontist... the hygienist I had on Wednesday has a very gentle touch.  All is well.  On to the next adventure.

I came home after my Thursday workout with the trainer where I found out one of my fellow clients of his got rear-ended yesterday!  Yikes!  She's of my generation and says she's fine, but she was missing today's workout because of having to deal with insurance folks related to her car being totaled.

So yes, life is busy, and it is good.  Life is not without risks, but it is good.  Spark on!

6 comments:

  1. Yes, it's a shame. At the end of the day, it was a personal choice to take the adventure. Pioneers? Maybe, as lessons will be learned by mistakes made. Better to prepare for problems than hope there won't be any.
    Good luck with the kitties. Finicky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arm chair quarterbacking of high profile things goes on and on, doesn't it? But you're right about learning from mistakes... there have always been failed ventures that preceded the successful ones.

      Kitty manipulated me into bringing the tuna juice, which was successful Friday morning!

      Delete
  2. After I saw "Close Encounters" for the first of many times, Roy's obsession of going with the aliens made perfect sense to me. I would stand in that line for the opportunity to go with the aliens, too.

    Enjoy the time spent with the kitties. They march to their own drumbeat. 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid, I dreamed of being an astronaut... and that was long before Sally Ride became the first woman to go up. Without dreams, where would we be? Without those who chase them, where?

      Delete
  3. OH for sure we have to live life beyond our comfort zone. For me, it’s all about analyzing the risks vs. benefits of risky ventures.

    I look @ my middle brother (he died @ age 27 on his birthday in 1982). He had problems that limited wht he could do, but, he did ‘em anyhow. Skydiving, deep sea diving, things like that. And in hindsight, he made choices that were right for him and for him, enriched his life. Not that *I* would choose skydiving nor deep sea diving but those are the things he tried. We only found out about those activities after he passed, talking with some of his friends who also did those activities. In the end, it was good.

    Good luck with the kitty medication mission.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree... balancing risk and benefit is a skill learned over time and by looking at the lives of our heroes. Our hearts lift and sink vicariously!

      Delete

Plans versus actuals

  This is one that could have been predicted:  I got out the hose and filled the kiddie pool while Ember was finishing one of her puppy naps...