Saturday, December 2, 2023

Happy December

Before I go any farther, I note that I have written three blogs' worth this week, much of which has gone in the bit-bucket at my own hand.  Not fit for publication.  Reason:  failure to be uplifting.

In between there were some bright points, so I'm rescuing them to put this blog together.  I took a picture of the tree lights when I trundled the garbage to the curb Thursday evening.

In the glow of the tree lights, the Prisoner's ears look like they are illuminated from within as he pins me to the couch with his purring.  Animal companions are good for our health, mental and physical.  Sending peaceful vibes out to all of yours!

Back before I retired, I would every so often hoof it down to the Haymarket section of town to a little place called Licorice International.  I've done my shopping online since 2020, but this year I have gone out a little bit more.  Licorice is not only a favorite flavor of my own, but my son's father in law is another fan.  So is my personal trainer.  So I made Wednesday a small business shopping day and visited their location in College View, closer to my home.

The past three years I have used the "Shop Blind" at 2 Blind Brothers online.  You send them money, they pick out what to send.  The first year I did this, I was ecstatically happy with what they sent, and we divided it up at the Christmas gift exchange.  Last Mother's Day I did a shop blind and they sent me some things that I liked and some that will never be used at my house.  On Friday, this year's offering arrived and for the first time it had something in that package that no one in our gift exchange group can use, and it was the priciest item in the bundle.  After venting my emotions (in the "not fit for publication" part) I came to the reluctant conclusion that I was going to have to go through the process of returning the entire bundle, despite my liking for three of the four items in it.  They do not accept partial returns.  Sigh.

Anyway, once that decision was slept on and made, my mood improved.  Saturday morning it has been repacked and shipped back to them.

Another "not fit for publication" was my initial reaction to my latest investment in satisfying my curiosity about DNA and food sensitivities.  Yes, I had my analysis done.  It was information overload when it arrived, and I did not respond well.  However, I slowed myself down, and took advantage of some videos they make available, and of a 20 minute one on one consultation with one of their nutritionists, and I feel by now that I can see my way forward.

However, it should be noted that several of the foods that they identified as "optimal" for my genetic makeup are certainly not what I consider readily available around here, and as y'all can probably identify with, a gal has a budget!

Baby steps, Barb, baby steps.  Last year it was the experiment of one with intermittent fasting, this year it's the experiment of one of trying to eat for my genetic tendencies.

In case anyone is interested in how or what they uncover in this genetic analysis, this part is for you.  

How:  They use your DNA that you submitted to either Ancestry.com or to 23andMe.  If you haven't done that, you can submit a sample for analysis, directly to these guys.  A few years back my older sister gave all of her siblings the ancestry DNA test for Christmas, so I didn't have to pay to have that part done again.

What: They give you a list of foods "optimal" for your DNA.  This puzzled me at first, because a lot of foods that are both generally considered to be healthy, but have become part of my regular diet were MISSING from my optimal list.  For me, seeing "oatmeal" and "blueberries" and "olive oil" and "broccoli" absent was puzzling.

The nutritionist said yes, those foods are indeed healthy, and I can still enjoy them, there are just better options that more closely fit my personal genetic makeup.

Not so puzzling, given what the genetics uncovered was their choice to consider anything with gluten in it as non-optimal.  Apparently of the two gene variations that indicate a likelihood of sensitivity to gluten, I have one of them.  And with a sister who is definitely sensitive to gluten, that sort of reinforced the "I'm not surprised, but I am saddened" reaction.  Since I haven't observed a lot of reaction to gluten (unless I OVER indulge), I'm in more of an "observe" than a "forbid" mode on this one.

They look at your ability to metabolize caffeine, and alcohol.  I am likely sensitive to caffeine:  no surprise there!  I have been decaffeinated for years.  They determined I'm likely normal in my ability to metabolize alcohol.  I could not say, I've been alcohol free my entire life.  But it's kind of comforting to know that if I *did* at this late date decide to try a sip, it likely would not turn me into a drunk.  But honestly, it just doesn't appeal.  Never did.

The final specific sensitivity they look for is lactose.  And my genetic variations say "not likely to be sensitive to lactose".  I rejoiced at this because for all the diets that are out there saying "no dairy, it's bad for you", I have resisted.  I love my dairy!  Apparently my genetic ancestors gifted me with the ability to enjoy it.

And the last bit they do is give you a customized list of vitamin/mineral needs and a macronutrient chart recommendation.  I found this validating of my life experience with food.  It has me higher on carbs (57 - 65%), a smidgeon lower on proteins (19 - 25%) and fats (23 - 31%).  When left to my own devices and being conscious of trying to "eat healthy" this is how I fall.  I will no longer give myself a hard time for failing to meet protein and fat targets that really were not right for me.


  

I will probably burble more on this over the course of the experiment in later blogs, but that's enough for starters.  I'd be curious to know if any of the readership have been tempted by this kind of analysis or had it done.  It does explain quite a bit why "one size fits all" doesn't work!

And despite the side-trips of the week that I deliberately left out:

Life is Good!  Keep on sparking, y'all!

17 comments:

  1. Pretty lights! And yes, Prisoner’s ears look like they are lit up!

    That is too bad that you have to return all your items from the 2 Blind Brothers. Disappointing.

    Well, yes, specialized nutrition plans, like eating for your DNA, can be expensive on a budget. But glad you were able to talk w/ a nutritionist to help shed some light on the results.

    Huh, gluten sensitivity is a toughie. I’d definitely be lost w/o my oatmeal, too. But I do moderate my portion size.

    For me, lactose is a problem. I use cashew milk, but DO eat yogurt and sometimes cottage cheese. Don’t seem to have problems with it. Will observe.

    Honestly never did hear of eating for your DNA. Will have t o look into it. Had TONS of food allergies when I was a kid, but grew out of most of them. Fortunately.

    Here’s to a good experiment of one! And true . . . one size does NOT fit all.

    Hugs
    Barb
    1cd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The website is GenoPalate.com if you are curious. I am not sure if there are other vendors offering this, but I've been seeing their ads on various social media for a year or so, I think.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about the failure to launch! Those kinds of days happen. Kitty must not be upset with being misplaced during Carl's last visit. So far, the tree shows no signs of random climbing.

    Sadly, I unsubscribed from 2 Blind Brothers. Two different holidays brought the same gift. Last year's throw was great. The bags...not so much. Sigh

    Good luck with the genetic analysis. I'm not aware of any food sensitivities. I am allergic to food though; it makes me swell and gain weight.🤣🤣

    Wishing you a sparking week!! 🤗💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl's most recent visit was only a matter of a single day, so kitty was fine.

      Sigh, I understand about deciding not to keep on shopping blind. I doubt I'll do that again. It got progressively not so great as each package came for me. Last year at Christmas, not enough "guy stuff" in the package, so my son's father in law ended up with a guide dog puppy, and that just didn't feel quite right. The Mother's Day one I got this year had a bracelet in it that will never be worn, but it was a minor item, and it will go out as a Christmas gift this year. But the sunglasses? Nope, nobody can use them. The inconvenience of having to return the whole bundle? Not enough time to get a replacement and guarantee it's got things that ARE right by Christmas? Final straw!

      LOL about "allergic to food"... but what's the alternative?

      Wishing you a great week, too!

      Delete
  3. Loving the lights and the way it looks on the Prisoner. That is bad that you have to return the whole thing.

    I always wondered about figure out what would be best for me to eat. Its very interesting.

    Enjoy the weekend! (((BIG HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curiosity is quite the driver, isn't it? Of course, as I'm over 70, I have a lot of experimental eating and generally I fall back on "the usual suspects". Now I have a bit of "nature" versus "nurture" evidence to entertain me about why. Regardless of all we might learn, we still have to live, right? But if some of that learning leads to finding a way that feels better in our living? It's a win beyond the entertainment value.

      The trick for me is in avoiding the rebellion reaction!

      (( hugs back ))

      Delete
  4. Would you be kind enough to email me a bit more information: where you got this done. I already have my DNA completed and am now more than curious.
    As I learned early on in my medical career, just because you have a gene does not mean you are going to have the exact expression. There are other balancing and opposing factors that my negate the genetic expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll e-mail you the link. You are saying the same things about "not necessarily" having the same effect of the gene variation (in re: gluten for me), and I note that in their analysis text they will say on what they based their conclusion. Obviously, this is NOT a medical diagnosis or anything like that, but it did lend credence to a lot of what I'd observed over my lifetime of my response to food AND exercise, etc.

      Interesting. Brings out the geek in a person!

      Delete
  5. It reminds me of the diets for blood types that came out quite a few years ago. In the end, most of it's all about quantity and quality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree. And it should not be particularly surprising, as DNA and blood type are both looks at our "innards". Sensitivities can be observed, without knowing this stuff. However, I'm glad I did it, to satisfy that old curiosity!

      Delete
  6. Fascinating now that I have more bandwidth to listen. I am curious, if you metabolize alcohol normally, does that reduce the chance of alcoholism? Also makes me wonder about the vitamin supplement combination that’s evolved for me over the years 🤔 Ace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. Probably not going to test the theory, though. Curiosity spurs the research!

      Delete
  7. Your tree looks lovely glowing through the window, and Prisoner looks very content with his glowing ears. :)

    I probably won't try the dna/eating thing, but it's interesting and those sorts of things can be useful tools or at least a cause to think about eating more carefully. I key my macros into what's best for my diabetes, but even there a little leeway still works as long as I don't go too high on proteins. I have found, since eating more mindfully for health, that certain things are okay for me as long as they are not too often or too much. Beef and pork are delicious, but too much of them and I have heartburn/sour stomach. Too much of anything too rich or sugary flares my arthritis. Feeling good is worth keeping the reins on my eating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sent my 23andme stuff over to geno palate and my optimal foods have me scratching my head, to say the least. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Good info to have, but not very practical at this point in time.
    -RunKeeper Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up just taking it in as information, and I am modifying a little bit to go after a few of the optimals, but I'll still probably stick with a lot of things that I know work for me.

      Delete
    2. I can easily do the fruits, but the veggies cause me digestive distress, not very practical. Eel is my top seafood, very expensive.
      -RunKeeper Dee

      Delete
    3. I said "a few" because some of the "optimal" choices are not easily obtained here at all, much less that they are high price items. For instance, you'd think chicken livers (my top meat) would be easy to find. I mean, my mother used to buy them to feed the cat. No longer true in the industrial poultry age!

      Have fun with experimenting... it's just one more piece of information, and has to be folded in with other data you have from living life, right?

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...