Saturday, January 22, 2022

Day 2 to 4 of "isolation"

Day 2:  Thursday

Having not taken a test, I was not a confirmed Covid case.  Not taking chances.  Since I COULD isolate, I DID isolate.

I was sick, but not THAT sick.  I had already cleared my calendar... the mammogram got put off for two weeks.  The trainer's been canceled for the next week.  The plumbing/heating guys delivering filters and softner salt also put off for a week.

Rubia offered to "help", quite vocally.  Having the kitties gives one a reason to get up and move about, at least enough to see that their needs are met.  It's cold outside, but supposed to get warmer, then colder, etc. as it has been doing for the past couple of months.  

Day 3:  Friday

Now whatever this is, was settling into my normal pattern of rejection of whatever is troubling the body.  It is my theory that we all have these responses, but we may not all match exactly.  With me, I often first notice the headache, swollen sinus, and drainage.  In the middle of Thursday night, I opted to take drugs.  I can't do decongestants (glaucoma is a contra-indicator), but for me antihistamines seem to help with the sinus issues. I took a Zyrtek and an Advil (for the headache), then slept a bit better.  In the morning, I did not have the oomph to get up, nor did food sound good.  I spent the bulk of the day in bed.  

I went downstairs a couple of times to deal with kitties and to bring the garbage can back inside.  One trip was not well advised... barely made it back upstairs to the porcelain goddess, but after that episode, felt better.  Took hot shower.  Put on real clothes.  Then took it easy, going out to get the mail, and brewing myself a cup of tea to sip while the news played.

The kids offered to drop off my home test kit this weekend.  That's the kind the hospital quiz says is right for my set of symptoms.  They are reserving the PCR tests for folks with chest pains,  shortness of breath, or fever of 100.4 or more.  They are telling folks not to go to the ER for a test unless they have those kinds of severe symptoms.  They would give you a rapid test if you made an appointment and drove across town.  The earliest appointment they had on their schedule was for Saturday afternoon.

Applying a bit of logical thought, if the local testing has a positivity rate of 25%, that means that 75% of the folks with enough symptoms to go get a test, are testing negative!  Given my symptoms and the odds, I'm anticipating a negative result when I get the tests in hand.

Day 4:  Saturday

Woke mostly human Saturday morning, and quite early.  Probably slept out, having stayed in bed nearly all day Friday.  But not as congested, and hungry.  Oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon tasted wonderful for an early breakfast.  

You can tell I'm feeling better because I was up for finishing watching the Harry Potter series, and the last two or three films are quite dark.  I don't usually go in for battle films when I'm ill.  I go after mindless background noises, music, or silence.

The kids were as good as their word, and delivered the covid at-home lateral flow antigen test.  I carefully followed the instructions, and it came out negative, reinforcing my "feeling better".  Still going to wait to make sure I'm not on one of those "better then worse" cycles before I decide I'm OK to come out from my little isolation episode.


But for now?  Life is good.  Take care of yourselves, and Spark on!

26 comments:

  1. Barb, glad you're feeling better and tested negative. PHEW!

    Take good care (I know you are).

    hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Being careful is the order of the day, month, and year!

      Delete
  2. “ if the local testing has a positivity rate of 25%, that means that 75% of the folks with enough symptoms to go get a test, are testing negative”

    This may not be correct, unless the only people having tests actually have symptoms. Depending on which state or county you are in, certain categories of workers are required to be tested on a schedule, regardless of whether they have symptoms. So are people planning to travel out of the country, attend an event, visit a vulnerable friend or relative, etc. There are many reasons to have a test even if you have no symptoms at all…

    From what I understand, a negative result from a rapid antibody test doesn’t actually mean much, because those tests are not very sensitive and have a high false-negative rate. If they give a positive result, then the likelihood of truly having covid is high.

    So, in the absence of solid information, you really *are* doing the best thing, assuming you have it, and isolating. Anyway even it it *isn’t* covid, it doesn’t sound like much fun, so avoiding spreading whatever it is, is the kindest and most compassionate thing you can do πŸ™‚❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there. Certain workers (and university students) are being required to test periodically, and those travelling, etc. BUT home tests aren't being included in the numbers reported. Coupled with feeling ever so much better, and carefully following the directions, I have some added spring to the step knowing it showed negative, anyway.

      I am totally on the same page about not spreading WHATEVER it is, Covid or flu, or a cold. I still think the weather fronts had something to do with it, maybe not causing but certainly intensifying the congestion. Not my first rodeo, if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  3. Assuming the 'worst' and feeling better, you made the right choices.
    Glad you're on th emend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Shall stay the course of being careful... feeling good feels good.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are feeling better. Hope the healing continues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb, I'm so glad that you're starting to feel better and that the test was negative. You just take it easy and rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. That's exactly what I did with my Saturday.

      Delete
  6. Hi Barb...so glad that you tested negative AND that you are feeling better...probably a winter virus, huh? Resting is THE BEST self-care tactic in your situation: hope that you continue to feel better! ❤️ Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see... one negative test is good. Monitor symptoms & test again before going back out to the trainer, for sure.

      Delete
  7. Smart Lady! Resting and staying home and cancelling everything was such a smart thing to do. Good for you! I know I always feel better sooner when I just allow myself to be sick and stay in bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better as soon as I take the pressure of appointments off myself and just allow "nature" to take its course.

      Delete
  8. Glad whatever this is, it's turning around for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear from you and to know you're beginning to feel better. Our pets keep us having to move even when we don't want too. That's how amazing they are. My DH has been pretty knocked out too. He's just starting to come a bit out of whatever virus is affecting him. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pets can be a nuisance, but they do keep us moving! Glad your DH is recovering from that whatever! Sometimes we never find out just what bug we've caught.

      Delete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...