Thursday, January 13, 2022

Sunset, sunrise

 

Sunset on January 11, 2022

Love the sunrises and sunsets this time of year.  As a bonus, with the hours of daylight being the least, I'm awake for both!  😁

Wednesday offered a high temperature of 59℉ (or 15℃ for those of you who speak non-US).  It was a lovely day for the after work sister walk... and our trip around the park and neighborhood ended about sunset.  One more nice day, then on Friday the weatherman is using that dreaded phrase "Winter mix" which means this little old lady in training will be pretty much tucking up and being grateful for how nice it has been so far this season!  

Yes, we've had some cold temperatures that seemed even colder because of the contrasting mildness, but seriously, January 12, 1974 we saw our historically lowest temperature in measured history at -33℉ (translates to -36℃).  Brrrr!  You know it's cold when the F and C numbers get close to matching (they do so at -40 for us geeky folk).

I have to laugh at the expression on our faces in this Thursday morning selfie.  It might look as though The Prisoner and I have had a disagreement.  But in fact, that's my "trying to concentrate on taking the selfie" look.  Cats do make good lap warmers, as long as they behave with their claws.

Workout with the trainer was again the early slot, but there were clients both before and after me.  We were well spaced in the room, but still, I heard coughs from each of them!  I noticed the trainer has moved up to a KN95 mask.  We went with lighter weights for a couple of the exercises (hammer curls and shoulder lifts).

Still watching the various medical folks who post on YouTube about the virus trends.  One of the problems with getting your "news" via social media is that if you look hard enough, you can find someone who agrees with either your rose colored glasses or your panic anxiety.  Fortunately, I have found a few realists, who are neither alarmists nor deniers.  They admit that they really can't predict this thing, and here's their hope based on this evidence or that.  

Putting yourself in another's shoes

A fellow Spark refugee ponders sometimes on whether the Queen shares some of our normal troubles in daily life.  I don't envy The Queen of her current duties, which included today's stripping titles and patronages from one of her sons.  I truly believe that as well as having that hereditary title, The Queen is human, has emotions, and cares about her family.  Her heart must be breaking.  

I've thought the same as family members have had to turn in a relative when it became apparent that their relative had committed a crime.  The unibomber's brother turned him in, for example.  The inner struggle between family loyalty and citizenship... a code of honor.  

A snippet of poetry comes to mind, although this reverie casts it in a slightly different light than the original.  Richard Lovelace:  "I could not love thee (Dear) so much, lov'd I not honour more."  

When we're young, we might THINK we know what we would do, and where our duty lay... but on closer examination as I age, it would have been more difficult.  I am grateful that I have not been put in that kind of position in this life.  At least not that I know of or not yet.

Today's sign of the Covid times

Two of the major hospital systems in our state have announced they are going on "Crisis Standard of Care" plans.  Continue to hunker down, local friends.  I figure we're at least a couple of weeks away from peaking in this wave.

May we all do our best to take care of our health, one day at a time.  At the close of this one and only Thursday, January 13, 2022, let us declare "it was enough.  It was sufficient for today."  Now love yourself enough to rest.  You've earned it!

Life is good.  Spark on!

😴🛌🔥💖✨

13 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of the song, "Walk a Mile in My Shoes".

    I did something today that I would not have even considered before the pandemic started. There is an 8th grade girls BB tournament tonight and tomorrow night. This resulted in a call asking us to work the concession stand one or both nights. There is no mask mandate in place. There is no social distancing. They have 10 students and teachers, that are known, out with the virus. Even though I wear a mask, I don't like the odds. My days of gate keeping and working the concession stand came to a screeching halt. There is no doubt I will be an outcast for a while. Sigh.

    Stay safe. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an outcast in my book. A wise woman weighing her options, and choosing her own course. I totally understand. Stay safe. Be well!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sunset photo. We've have some lovely sunrises and sunsets here too.

    Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our numbers are climbing as well, but we have a Governor that won't put his foot down. We got those KN95 masks to wear. We're going to stay home more now and probably go back to ordering groceries online.

    The sunset was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm likely not leaving the house 'til Tuesday, after the predicted "weather" passes and we get to the next "blip up" in temperatures.

      I just love the skies. Montana advertises itself as "big sky country" but we're not so bad anywhere on the plains states!

      Delete
  4. I get your concentrating on taking a selfie! I've investigated if taking one can be made easier on my phone; I think I saw something but....where?
    I had been chosen as the loved person by a friend's cat. The purring was cute but lap kneading and claws was something I didn't appreciate!

    I prefer to stick to mainstream (the big 3) news for my sources or read the scientific journals I know. I've developed an allergy to politicalization of all things current!!!

    Hmmm, family and code of honor is such a hard topic. A wrong is a wrong I could not sleep well at night for the rest of my life if I chose family over morality. Been there, done that. Sigh.

    I am starting to feel walls closing in. Crummy weather has halted my walks and the grocery (not so safe) or gym (safer) are my only outlets. This girl refuses to go anywhere that may be slippery or the people not compliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally with you on the choices about when to avoid going somewhere. Icy conditions and pandemics don't mix, in my mind! Walls closing in is a well-known side effect of this caution, though.

      Have to laugh about the friend's cat... cats often choose people who avoid them!

      "The big 3" news channels (ABC, NBC, CBS) at least make an attempt at balance, PBS as well. Your local stations will have a local slant, whatever network affiliation they have. I have a local CBS station, and a "rural" NBC one, and they (and their web pages) give me my main news. I actually prefer to listen to the whole news conference from Mayor, Governor and Public Health director.

      However, I am curious to see what other folks are saying. If I step into my car, it's hard to find a local station that isn't conservative talk.

      For virus status, I listen to Dr. Osterholm (CIDRAP), and Dr. John Campbell (UK) as a barometer of what's coming down the road from the global arena.

      Dr. James Lawler (UNMC), Dr. Bob Rauner (advisor to our public schools), and of course our public health director, give me local status, as far as timing of where we sit in the "waves". Different parts of the country hit at different times. I was so confident early on, with UNMC being such a center of contagious disease research and care, but they weren't always listened to by the politicians and the populace.

      Finally: I knew there was a reason you were a kindred spirit! Your comment about honor resonated. Early in life, my mother told us all: "I will not lie for you." (To a neighbor kid I didn't want to play with... she wouldn't say I wasn't home). Early lesson in what value tops which. And it has stuck.
      But it doesn't mean there isn't pain associated with the conflict, when the stakes are high.

      Delete
  5. Yes, it was a tad warmer yesterday, but colder today. Ah well . . . January in Wisconsin. It’s not bad.

    Love the sunrises and sunsets, too! So beautiful.

    OH no . . . that’s not good to hear coughs from others in the same room as you! Definitely using the KN95 masks.

    I shared you same thoughts yesterday reading about Prince Edward. **SIGH** What a sad duty for the Queen . . . BUT she did it. I admire her strength and courage.

    I have really come to feel that no matter WHAT age . . . it’s so hard to know what we would do in situations we’ve not been in. Oh, yes, I THINK I’d do this or that, but . . . when push comes to shove, don’t know!

    No Crisis Standard of Care here . . . yet. Approaching it, I fear. **SIGH** Just staying as safe as is possible.

    Hugs and stay well, stay safe.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same about the Queen putting duty above family... as she has done her entire reign. I admire her strength, and sometimes wistfully wish we saw such honor in our representatives in the US... and it seems rare these days.

      Hugs, and stay safe yourself!

      Delete
  6. Wow, that was pretty warm temps. You gave me a chuckle about the selfie. That happens to me all the time I try to take one with my grandkids or any of my pets. Great going with your workout at the gym! I like your dissertation about love, duty, and honor. Well said. Have a safe, warm, and happy weekend doing everything with joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... grey-hairs attempting to use technology that expects young eyes and ears and coordination... that's what that look is all about!

      Have a safe and warm weekend yourself!

      Delete
  7. Those were some great temps. Ours have been above 0 degrees but, very damp.

    ReplyDelete

You take pictures because...

  I don't know about you, but I take pictures so that when the trying times happen (and they do)... you can look back at the sweetness, ...